Author Topic: Surinam cherry tree issues (shriveled fruit, dark patches on leaves)  (Read 1896 times)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
A Surinam cherry tree I recently planted had great-looking fruit when I bought it but they've all become very dull-looking and somewhat shriveled, instead of smooth and shiny like they should be. They have been ripening/growing however. Also some leaves seem to have developed some black spots, probably related to the heat. I'm guessing the fruit issue means the tree doesn't have enough water but want to make sure before I add more, so I don't drown it if water is not the issue. Has anyone seen this sort of thing? These fruits were on the ground because the tree has been aborting some fruits but not many. But nearly all of the fruit on the tree look just like this.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
Looks like a lack of water to me, I have a 60ft hedge of them 6 feet tall and when they lack water same thing happens to mine. just give them a nice deep watering and all should be good.
Joe

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Yes, Suriname Cherry like to be watered.   It will help the plant as well as fruit production,  fruit size and taste.  You will especially need to be mindful of watering in the hot dry San Diego area.
- Rob

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
OK, great to know it's that simple. I water it every day with sprinklers but I'll add additional water manually until the fruits plump up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk