Author Topic: Cacao Seed Pulp Uses  (Read 2304 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Cacao Seed Pulp Uses
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:44:55 PM »
Quite an interesting article.  Thanks for posting this Oscar.  One day soon I hope to have the problem of figuring out what to do with my cacao pulp and husks.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Harry,

I do not recall seeing cacao at your house but there are so many wonders that I probably missed them.  Are your cacao trees already mature and producing?  If so, how many pods are you harvesting per tree.  Are you giving them any special treament?  I have a few shady spots I would consider growing some seedlings and letting nature take its course.
Brandon

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
My cacao trees are under the western most large ficus tree in my front yard.  I had one tree planted out in a pot.  Which grew into the ground  and did produce fruit a couple of years ago. Here's what it looked like back in the early winter of 2009.

Unfortunately, that winter turned into one of the worst, sustained cold winters we have ever had and the tree nearly died.  It had about 5 pods on it, but they all turned black from the cold. The winter of 2010 also kicked the hell out of the tree. The tree has rebounded and is blooming for the first time since 2009.  I have also since planted out three other cacao trees around the same large ficus.  Thy are all planted in the ground and are one each of yellow, red, and green.....as described by Pine island Nursery, which is where I bought them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:27:32 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like the trees should at least survive with the effort I am willing to put into them.  I will plant the seeds from the pod I purchased last weekend. 
Brandon