Author Topic: Atherton Oak Athertonia diversifolia  (Read 7448 times)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
Re: Atherton Oak Athertonia diversifolia
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
Its the first time it fruited apparently  but im guessing he will plant the seeds though given the fruit and seed size im doubtful their fertile. I have only met kris a couple of times so don't know him really well. I did wonder if it was a jerseyana / johnsonii hybrid as the mother was a jerseyana and they do overlap. Apparently it was one of 100 seeds planted back in 1999. The parent trees were wild but im not sure if they were all from the same tree/provenance. Kris would probably have a fair idea though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »
Jerseyana is the southern one and JohnstonI only overlaps with prurians, being in the Russell Mulgrave catchment.I don't think JohnstonI has ever fruited in cultivation. I have communicated with Kris a couple of times and swapped a few seeds.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 08:22:43 AM »
In that case im not sure, he definitely said it was jerseyana seed. Maybe its a spontaneous mutant. My johnsonii from daleys is fruiting little fruit.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
Mike, thanks for posting about this tree, I wonder why it has not become more popular in the world of growing edible's! 8)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2015, 04:23:53 PM »
Athertonia has a very small natural distribution in remote areas.Australian fruits only get cultivated if they are near big cities like finger lime or if yanks get involved like macadamias.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2015, 05:34:38 PM »
Too true, whilst many are overrated for quality and taste, some  wouldnt need much in the way of selective breeding to be brought to a standard. Sadly I think many will be either developed overseas or not at all. Have a look at how many patents the US holds over australian native plants.