Author Topic: WTB - Rare pineapples  (Read 1985 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
WTB - Rare pineapples
« on: April 07, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I have the standard stuff (ie. White Jade, Elite Gold, MD-2, etc.). I've heard there was an heirloom variety that occasionally pops up in Florida that sounded interesting.

Looking for:

AusFestival
Jubilee
Queen
Morada
Cheese Pine
Anything different or hard to find.  Edibles only.

-Sonny

indoorpineapplegrower

• USA, Illinois, Chicago, Zone 6
    • View Profile
    • Indoor Pineapple Culture Page
Re: WTB - Rare pineapples
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
Hi Sonny,

A great place to obtain some rare pineapples is the USDA germplasm repository in Hilo, Hawaii.
Here's the link: https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/hilo-hi/daniel-k-inouye-us-pacific-basin-agricultural-research-center/tropical-plant-genetic-resources-and-disease-research/docs/main/

Alphonzo
Pineapples: Cayenne, White Jade, Spanish Samoa, Queen Victoria, Kaua'i Sugarloaf, Monte Lirio, Cheese Pine, Josapine, Pernambuco

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
Hi Sonny,

A great place to obtain some rare pineapples is the USDA germplasm repository in Hilo, Hawaii.
Here's the link: https://www.ars.usda.gov/pacific-west-area/hilo-hi/daniel-k-inouye-us-pacific-basin-agricultural-research-center/tropical-plant-genetic-resources-and-disease-research/docs/main/

Alphonzo

How do you request pineapple tissue from them?  It appears they provide for researching mostly?

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
The FL hybrid: Dellerman Gold - pineapple w coconut flavor comes to harvest in fall. Nature Farms.

He still sells fruit w crowns.  He usually sells out after 2-3 weekends of selling roadside.

Pineapple Fest Sebastian.

USDA Hilo is a commercial resource according to mission statement on ARS page.

They prepare plants for requests and it can take time for them to prep (months).  Tracie is truly
professional and good about responding - but usually swamped w requests. Set expectations accordingly and be patient. Great people there and you usually get what you need. Up to 3 requests. Requests on USDA ARS Hilo webpage.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »
The FL hybrid: Dellerman Gold - pineapple w coconut flavor comes to harvest in fall. Nature Farms.

He still sells fruit w crowns.  He usually sells out after 2-3 weekends of selling roadside.

Pineapple Fest Sebastian.

USDA Hilo is a commercial resource according to mission statement on ARS page.

They prepare plants for requests and it can take time for them to prep (months).  Tracie is truly
professional and good about responding - but usually swamped w requests. Set expectations accordingly and be patient. Great people there and you usually get what you need. Up to 3 requests. Requests on USDA ARS Hilo webpage.

Thank you for the information on that pineapple variety and the USDA hilo.  I had been searching for the name of this pineapple variety since I saw it mentioned in another thread (not by name, but by flavor profile).  Nature Farms is about 2 hours from me.  For a coconut flavored pineapple - I can justify the drive  ;)

When requesting from HiLo, do you say the pineapples are for researching or do you simply request the pineapples interested in growing?