Author Topic: Avocado tree getting too much water??  (Read 3812 times)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Avocado tree getting too much water??
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »
Below are a couple pics of my avocado tree. I have had it for only a few months and it was doing great, even flowered and was holding a bunch of avocados. Until the rain started coming almost every day. All of the fruit eventually dropped off. From my research the leaves will wilt if it is getting too much or not enough water. I would assume it would be getting too much because it has been raining almost everyday. I had mulch around the tree but since I thought it was too much water I removed the mulch in hopes of it not holding as much water.

Does this look like too much water to you guys? If so what can I do about it?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado tree getting too much water??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
Yeah probably root rot from too much sitting water.  Probably need a raised bed or big mound next time.  Doubtful it will make a comeback.
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 12:05:16 AM »
This is how I plant mine and my yard doesn't even flood. They really like heavy mulch.

-Josh

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »
Vermented,

Is that avocado tree growing in the mound of wood chips/barks? Or is it growing in a mound of soil but covered with a thick layer of wood chips/barks?
Thanks,

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 02:00:51 PM »
Large enriched mounds with heavy mulch. I put almost everything up on mounds. White Sapote and Avocado get XTRA large mounds. Eventually the perennial peanut will grow in and I will just add thin layers of mulch on top of that for fungal feeding and general health.

Vermented,

Is that avocado tree growing in the mound of wood chips/barks? Or is it growing in a mound of soil but covered with a thick layer of wood chips/barks?
Thanks,
-Josh

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
You are right the symptoms of too much and too little water can be similar. If you give it some water and the leaves perk up, then I would say it’s from lack of water (poor mans test)

There is a point of no return for injured leaves so even if it drips all its leaves if you can see swollen buds and terminals then the tree may recover.

My green gold avocado did the same thing after a 90 degree day during transplant shock. The existing leaves are half fried and half green but lots of thick luscious new green growth coming behind it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
Why woodchips vs sand for mounding?

This is how I plant mine and my yard doesn't even flood. They really like heavy mulch.

Jeff  :-)

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
If this tree dies, which it looks like it most likely will, when I get a new tree Ill for sure mound it. Do you think digging it up and mounding it will help or do you think it is too late?

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
I'd say you have nothing to lose at this point.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »
I think I got super lucky.
My Holiday got overwatered and the mature leaves browned and I had to cut off about 8 inches of dead wood from the top of my tree.
I have watered it VERY lightly only once since this happened a couple weeks ago and it seems to be doing better. I am seeing new growth on the branches but this tree seems to be recovering.
Don't give up unless you have the money to spare on a new tree (I'm to cheap!) you never know what they can do!
-Kris

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »
Chad6159, I am in Bokeelia on Pine Island. Yours looks just like a two of mine after the unnamed storm and Irma flooding last year.
Neither of them recovered even though they were both on serious mounds and neighboring trees didn't suffer. Wish you would send us some rain a little farther west. Only 1/2" last 3 weeks been watering all day the past two days. Plant on at least a 1-1/2 ft. mound, but expect you will find a need to water more even with mulch which will help them a lot.. 

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
Thank you guys, I will try to make a plan today of what I am going to do and then do so tomorrow. Either cut it back, or mound it. I just dont have any mulch at the moment to mound it so would need to get some.

I would much rather it not get enough water than too much. Because I can do something about the too little water issue.

I am really surprised this even happened, they must be really sensitive because my yard drains very well and there is never any sitting water, even during the flooding we had last year. none of my other trees have any issues...Guess if I cant save this one then Ill buy another and mound it.

**Another question. Is it okay to plant a new tree in this same spot as long as I mound it? or would the fungus in the soil from the root rot kill the new tree?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:43:55 AM by chad6159 »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:53:56 AM »
You want to use dirt to make the mound then cover that with mulch.  Probably best to put fresh dirt on that site for the mound.  I would go ahead and put it in the same location.  Apparently it only takes a few hours of saturated soail to start killing avocado roots by the way.  Day after day of rain would do it.
Brad Spaugh

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
Novice question....Would I just get some bags of top soil or what do you guys prefer to create the mound with?

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »
You'll need a soil mix that's fast draining and resists compaction. Considering the amount of rain you get, it'll be important in preventing the roots from getting drowned again.

You can amend standard top soil with perlite, sand, etc. to make it drain and breathe better, and help mitigate future soil compaction.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 12:14:17 PM »
I would just use the native soil if it drains well like you said.  Is it sandy soil?  Take a close up photo of it maybe.
Brad Spaugh

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 03:41:19 PM »
yes it is sandy soil. I dont have any extra in my yard I could use from somewhere though..

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »
Chad, check out MW Horticulture in N. Ft. Myers or at Alico Rd. and I-75 they have a full range of soil, compost and mulch. They will deliver by dump truck or sell by pickup truck load, a regular pickup can carry 1 yard. Their compost contains a good proportion of sand and could be mixed with your current soil then mulched on top. The compost is about $12/yard which would make a great mound. The compost is only part of the equation. I drive out to Diamond R in Labelle and get a 50 lb bag of Nutricote Total 180 day Slow release with micronutrients, it works wonders for growing anything and lasts six months.

https://mwhorticulturerecycling.com/garden-soils-%26-mulch

http://www.diamond-r.com/

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
Awesome thank you! I was thinking about doing a couple more raised beds and I could get a couple truck beds full of the compost and would be good to go, along with mounding my avocado tree.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 09:55:58 AM »
So after a few months this is what my sad avocado tree looks like. It is actually growing new growth!

I cut off a big section on the top (because it was dying) which only left it with one branch. The browning of the leaves stopped however the trunk at the top where I cut it started turning black and dying. So now there is the trunk that is dying above the branch and now also a chunk of the trunk dying (turning black) below the branch. Both spots are getting larger.

There is new growth on that branch, along with new growth along the trunk (see pics), a couple half way down the trunk and a couple pretty close to the ground. Now I don't know what to do. Should I just cut that branch off because the part that is drying will most likely just go onto that branch? Or should I just leave it and see what happens?

Should I cut below all of the dying stuff and let the new growth on the trunk be the new branches? I just feel like no matter where I cut it will just start dying from that point and work its way down.

Please help!

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »
bump.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should do?
Perhaps dig it up and re plant it in on a mound?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
Chad from what I've seen much of the soil in Cape Coral is very poor and was dredged out of the canals a mixture of the worst stuff you could find around here. If you drive around you will see the very poor results in the landscape. My advice would be to start over with a good tree on a mound, improved soil, plenty of mulch and slow release fertilizer with micronutrients.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
Chad from what I've seen much of the soil in Cape Coral is very poor and was dredged out of the canals a mixture of the worst stuff you could find around here. If you drive around you will see the very poor results in the landscape. My advice would be to start over with a good tree on a mound, improved soil, plenty of mulch and slow release fertilizer with micronutrients.

Yeah this thing is pretty pathetic and I will for sure mound when/if I get another avocado tree. After Irma knocked my peach tree over I looked at the quality of the dirt after 2-3 years of mulching that area and there is some pretty dark soil under there and there are even worms in it. Granted everything else around it is sand and low quality.

I do fertilize with Diamond R that I get from Fruitscapes. All of my other trees love it.

I am going to hold out on this tree at least throughout the rest of summer and see what happens.