Author Topic: winter protection for Feijoas  (Read 1909 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
winter protection for Feijoas
« on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »
Hello

I have two small feijoa trees with 1/3" trunk thickness in north of Mississippi.  At nights, the temp goes down to 10s. Can I protect them by wrapping with a light color cotton bed sheet? And do I need to leave the sheet on till the spring? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Onur
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:15:00 AM by onur »

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
Re: winter protection for Feijoas
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 01:16:50 AM »
50's would be like a vacation in the Caribbean to a Feijoa in the Fall/Winter. They are very hardy...I suspect that even for seedlings. No protection necessary
-Chris

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 05:27:17 AM »
Feijoa are hardy to minus 16C (0f).
Ive alao read they need chilling hours or else the quality of the fruit is bad.

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
I have fiejoas planted in my orchard on a ridge. It was in the upper 20s this morning with a pretty strong wind and I did nothing to protect them. They are fine.D

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
Sorry! It was e a mistake. I just corrected the temp. I meant to say 10s. Thank you for your answers.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
50's would be like a vacation in the Caribbean to a Feijoa in the Fall/Winter. They are very hardy...I suspect that even for seedlings. No protection necessary

;D

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »

Chris,

Do you need 2 for pollination? I only have 1, got a fair amount of flowers, but no fruits.
Thanks,
Trung

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
I have one feijoa tree that is more than 20 years old that always flowered and fruited without any other feijoa plant in the area. So my guess is that they are selfertile, or at least the variety i have.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
I have one feijoa tree that is more than 20 years old that always flowered and fruited without any other feijoa plant in the area. So my guess is that they are selfertile, or at least the variety i have.

What variety do you have?

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 04:10:29 PM »
Only a few of them are partially self fertile. All benefit from having a second plant as pollinator to get a bigger fruit set - or any fruit set at all. Hukvaldy and Unique are partly self fertile.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 04:45:37 PM »
Only a few of them are partially self fertile. All benefit from having a second plant as pollinator to get a bigger fruit set - or any fruit set at all. Hukvaldy and Unique are partly self fertile.

Does the 2nd plant have to be a different variety? And ants can do the job? I don't see much flying insects in my yard, just lots of ants.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
You want bees to polinate it.
Normally feijoas are polinated by birds thats why you can eat the petals of the flowers.Birds come to eat the petals and they polinate the flowers.
Somme people think the edible petals are better than the fruit and in case you dont get fruit iet,try the petals.

For polination you need another variety or a feijoa grown from seeds.The otther variety can be self polinating like Gemini wich makes small fruit but its regarded as the only true self polinated feijoa here.

Also in the first year i keep my feijoas in the greenhouse in winter because i want them to grow faster but they are cold hardy.

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 06:04:29 PM »
You want bees to polinate it.
Normally feijoas are polinated by birds thats why you can eat the petals of the flowers.Birds come to eat the petals and they polinate the flowers.
Somme people think the edible petals are better than the fruit and in case you dont get fruit iet,try the petals.

For polination you need another variety or a feijoa grown from seeds.The otther variety can be self polinating like Gemini wich makes small fruit but its regarded as the only true self polinated feijoa here.

Also in the first year i keep my feijoas in the greenhouse in winter because i want them to grow faster but they are cold hardy.

Thanks for the info!

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:48 AM »
My old tree came with the house so I only have 1 tree. There are however, quite a few trees in my neighborhood. My tree is sporadic in fruiting...some years I will get a few and others none at all. This year was a bumper crop.
-Chris