Author Topic: Super happy kumquat tree!  (Read 1514 times)

rsbidinger

• Nampa, ID
    • View Profile
Super happy kumquat tree!
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »
Well, we've had our Kumquat tree for less than a year now and it's been VERY happy. It's grown to 57in tall! Our concern, however, is it hasn't been branching out and everything we've read says pruning isn't necessary. If it needs to be pruned, we can't figure out how to do it or where. Perhaps we just need to be patient. Also, we're about ready to move it to a larger pot (just ordered... waited for Spring!)

We'd love to hear your suggestions! We've attached some photos so you can see what it looks like. Thank you!

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Super happy kumquat tree!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 11:36:14 PM »
That is the way my kumquat trees grew.  They filled out and look better.  Do not prune

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 11:47:41 PM »
If it's going to remain a container tree, I would cut the two main limbs at about 24" from the soil line. That will force the tree to branch out lower down & make for a fuller "manageable" plant...

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 07:47:26 AM »
I also would prune. Top the two branches and the tree will make a top with additional limbs that will bear fruit and lots of leaves means lots of healthy process going on. Since this is a container tree....that will regulate the size......

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:08:11 AM »
You might want to increase the pot size by 2 inch diameter and maybe a inch or 2 deeper.  Is you kumquat a seedling tree.  I could not find a graft line.

Un trimmed seedling tree 3 years old

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 12:09:20 PM »
I agree with cutting the tall branch at about 2 feet in height.  Citrus has what is called apical dominance, meaning that the highest bud sends out a hormone that keeps all buds below it from sprouting out.   By topping the tree, it removes the apical dominance and you will soon see the tree fill out.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 01:00:19 PM »
What kind of kumquat is this?  They don't normally have large leaves like that, and thorns. 

Are you sure it isn't rootstock? :)

I just checked my kumquat trees, the only one with larger leaves like this and thorns is the Nippon Orangequat. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:04:27 PM by brian »

rsbidinger

• Nampa, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Thank you everyone so much for your help. Based on your responses, I think we’re going to go ahead and cut it at 2ft above the soil line. So now the question is, where do we make our cut exactly? And should it be straight or slanted?

Also, we bought a larger pot for it that we’ll use to replant in a few weeks.

rsbidinger

• Nampa, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »
Wish I could say but I don’t know for sure about 1/4th the size when we bought it. The really tall branch has been the only thing that’s grown. We bought it from a big box store.

What kind of kumquat is this?  They don't normally have large leaves like that, and thorns. 

Are you sure it isn't rootstock? :)

I just checked my kumquat trees, the only one with larger leaves like this and thorns is the Nippon Orangequat.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
Straight of slanted  doesn't matter.  Just measure a couple feet above the soil line and make your cut.

rsbidinger

• Nampa, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »
Okay. We did it! I feel sorry for it. But hope for the best!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 04:47:03 PM »
Also, that is certainly a small container.  Soon you need to put the tree into a larger container.  When you do, move the tree in a container about 3 inches wider. The best to you and your tree.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
Also be careful that the tree is not sitting in stagnant water.  It looks like you have a container with drain holes inside a metal container with no drain holes.  A day or two after you water it check the metal container to make sure it is drying out completely between waterings. 

Kumquats will grow and fruit in containers, so if you keep it healthy it should be productive - even in northern states.  I am in Pennsylvania and I have a bunch of kumquats in containers that produce more fruit than I can even eat.