Author Topic: Have anyone got steal one of his potted plants?  (Read 4571 times)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
Have anyone got steal one of his potted plants?
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
I have never put my potted plants in front of my yard not sure why, but I would like too put them there now. I just wanted to know if someone got one steal by somebody?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Have anyone got steal one of his potted plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:48:38 AM »
I have never put my potted plants in front of my yard not sure why, but I would like too put them there now. I just wanted to know if someone got one steal by somebody?

depends on what is in the pot, and where u live.

people for the most part won't steal, but...put a 7gal lychee or mango tree with fruits on it, in an easy place to steal, and someone might snatch it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
I got a mango in a 15gal pot with flowers and I live in Canada.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
The good news is that most people in temperate areas have no idea what a mango or lychee tree is; I've never had anyone steal any potted tropical fruit plants or even potted vegetables.  My neighbors once had a pot of petunias stolen, and I've had people steal potted hibiscus plants with palmate leaves that vaguely resemble marijuana...  I wonder what the thieves thought when they tried to smoke it.

Kevin

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
I got a mango in a 15gal pot with flowers and I live in Canada.

haha Canada?  that makes a big difference
I'd say your chances of theft are quite minimal...South CA, or FL, different story...depending on location and tree.
in plastic pots with fruits be careful!  mango is one of the most commonly known fruits in the world!

clay heavy pots, no fruits, less likely to be stolen...
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »

No fruits on it no one will steal the plant
With fruits...... You are taking your chances

I once had a small potted banana stolen from the front yard. Other than that people leave my potted stuff alone

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
Samuel, I think almost nobody around you  know what to do with a mango tree. There's a chance people will see the fruits but they probably won't believe what they are.

In the US some people won't eat things unless you give them familiar names like Surinam "cherry". Pitanga sounds poisonous to them.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 02:54:57 PM »
Hi Samuel,

I wouldn't risk it...you never know who will pop around your neighbourhood. ;)

I had 6 lemon guavas stolen and they were 1.8m tall. I wanted to make a guava hedge :'(
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Here goes the racist answer,  :( ;)

Typically gringo neighborhoods don't have people familiar with the more tropical fruit trees...and seems like u can get away with advertising most tropical fruits, and not being able to give them away in such areas, so u may be much safer....Your chances may be good because even the fauna in Canada wouldn't know what to do with a mango! 

But in areas with large populations of those who grew up around such fruits ( like Asian, Latin, Indian, and many more) you have a higher chance of having someone pass by the tree who associates good times, good eats and value with your plant.

So you must be unlucky enough to have someone who recognizes the fruit, and who is willing to steal a large plant!

Weigh your options...it could be worth it to grow in your front yard! especially if well lighted by the sun, and in a protected location from wind!

Good luck!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:18:32 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Definitely remove any indication that it's a high value plant, like a price tag. :)

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 03:55:49 PM »
Thanks guys very much :) It would be better to put it in the front yard because I get 10hours of direct sun vs 6hours in my backyard...But I don't want to risk, does somebody know how I could lock it with a chain??? I have another question too, I pug the tree a month ago and the tree is currently flowering, the new growth from where I pruned is flowers...Will leaves grow from there? What should I do?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 05:26:38 AM »
Invest in a nice bright paint-pen (i prefer hot pink) and write new names on the pots of your plants, such as 'African Dung Plant', 'Corpse Cherry', 'Green Apple Splatter Bush', etc...

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
Nice idea bmc.  That's funny. That reminds me of a "fruit theft" thread on this forum. Someone's idea to prevent theft was to put up a sign that said "watered with reclaimed sewage waste" or something to that effect. 
Brad

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 02:08:33 AM »
Right, a member in FL got all the mangos in his side yard stolen in a single night. What if Sam put the tree outside until it's near ripe and then moves it back in? Think there are anybody there that knows know to use green mango?

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 07:49:01 AM »
I don't know, maybye? The only person who knows what the tree is are my friends and family. I could just remove the pine island sticker and it would be fine. I will try to lock it to the ground. If someone knows how to tell me. The mango is now in full bloom. Does it means I will have mangoes in winter?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk