Author Topic: So.California mango update...  (Read 9250 times)

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
So.California mango update...
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:59:08 AM »
Glenn Mango one of my fastest growing mango tree.This tree has flushed 2x times already this year and with our warm humid weather it's flushing again.

Lancetilla Mango...I did not let this tree hold fruit this year and what a difference it has become more bushier and the trunk has gotten bigger also.

Ewais Mango is also a fast grower here in So. Cali

Alphonso Mango on a growth flush..

Pickering Mango

Ice Cream Mango also on a growth flush. I also did not let this tree hold fruit this year but this tree does very well here in So. Cali

Carrie Mango the only tree with fruits on it..This tree flushed flower 2x but I took out the fruits from the 2nd flush.

Mallika Mango my youngest tree
A few of my other fruit trees..
Alano Sapodilla flowering at this time...

Hass Avocado with plenty of fruits

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: So.California mango update...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:56:47 PM »
Love the assortment of mangoes, everything looking good. I find Ewais mango a fast growing mango as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:17 PM »
Big Congrats, Ant!!!!!!!!!!

Everything looks fab - I've found the Alphonso just adores heat and is by far my fastest grower,
but all are doing well like yours EXCEPT my Pickering which I let hold 2 giant fruits and now it's in
the shock of after birth I think......just looks exhausted.....smart to pull off the fruits on young plants - we all have to learn that lesson I guess....

How many mangos are in pots and how many in-ground?

This year I've decided to feed them a diluted fertilizer every 2 weeks and notice the growth is more pronounced - that's another thing I'd suggest to you if you want more growth.  I use anything I have on hand, and actually kind of rotate around liquid seaweed, worm castings tea, regular Miracle Gro, etc.

nice work -

Mr. Perro

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 03:38:57 PM »
MangoFang, I have 2 potted and 8 on the ground. I fertelize my tree early spring with Vigoro citrus food and bat guano. I also use fish emulsion every 2 weeks during the summer month. I will fertelize all my tree 1 last time next week with bat guano and that will be it till next spring again.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 03:48:37 PM »
Very nice collection you have there. thanks for the pictures.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »
wow, that's impressive! your trees are going through quite a growth spurts....I'd wait one more year and turn them loose and them we'll have that Socal mango tasting party in 2 years. Congratulations and thanks for sharing Adrian.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
Very nice looking trees.  So again we have a SoCal guy saying that Glenn is a fast grower.  I'm tempted to buy one but I don't have any room!

Bill

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Hey ant, your trees look great and you have an excellent assortment of mangoes. I have a few mangoes here in SoCal also and all my trees are the same size as yours or smaller. They have only been in the ground for about a year and I'm glad I plucked off all the fruit. I hope the rate of growth of all our mangoes will continue to increase each year. Please keep me in mind if you do any pruning on your mangoes as I am always looking for scions to graft onto my seedlings. Let us know how that Carrie tastes, I'm really an anxious to hear how a SoCal grown Carrie tastes.
Simon

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
Simon_grow, I tasted Carrie last year from the same tree they are sweet and fiberless. I like them better than the store brought ataulfo. Also my observation is that all my mangoes that is on manila rootstock grows rapidly ( Glenn, Ewais, Sunset,& Haden) than the mangoes from Florida. Anybody in So.Cali notice the difference between in growth between mangoes that is on manila rootatock compare to the Florida rootstock?......also I have 2 Nam Doc Mai and the one on Manila rootstock grows quicker and yes I bought them the same year and same size...

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 05:21:22 PM »
Very nice looking trees.  So again we have a SoCal guy saying that Glenn is a fast grower.  I'm tempted to buy one but I don't have any room!

Bill
Out of the two mango trees i've ever grown here in socal I'd say that my Glenn is growing quite quickly. It's already releasing flowers and I've only owned it for 2-3 months.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
Hey Ant, thanks for the description of the SoCal grown Carrie, I may have to add one to replace the one that died. Nice observation on the Manilla rootstock grown trees. I planted out many manilla mango seeds for future grafting. My manilla mango tree is my fastest growing mango, probably because it was seed grown and it doesn't waste energy trying to flower.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
Simon_grow, I tasted Carrie last year from the same tree they are sweet and fiberless. I like them better than the store brought ataulfo. Also my observation is that all my mangoes that is on manila rootstock grows rapidly ( Glenn, Ewais, Sunset,& Haden) than the mangoes from Florida. Anybody in So.Cali notice the difference between in growth between mangoes that is on manila rootatock compare to the Florida rootstock?......also I have 2 Nam Doc Mai and the one on Manila rootstock grows quicker and yes I bought them the same year and same size...

I have had the opposite experience. The most vigorous growers have been on Turpentine rootstocks for me. I have asked the same question to folks that have grown mangos for 30 year in Socal, Gary Matsuoka  and Eunice Messner, and they prefer Turpentine rootstocks.  I will show pics of before and after of some of my trees on both rootstock soon.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »
Very interesting topic.

Bill

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
Hey Ant, thanks for the description of the SoCal grown Carrie, I may have to add one to replace the one that died. Nice observation on the Manilla rootstock grown trees. I planted out many manilla mango seeds for future grafting. My manilla mango tree is my fastest growing mango, probably because it was seed grown and it doesn't waste energy trying to flower.

Carrie is very good to my taste. Kind of piney tasting. People who dislike it describe its piney taste as medicinal. This piney taste is also called spicy by some. Lots of sweetness in Carrie fruits but they have this downside. So much for Florida grown, I wonder if California grown Carrie comes out with the same flavors

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question for California mango growers.

Since your climate is drier than, for example, Florida's, does that mean that diseases like anthracnose are a non-issue?

I'm guessing that would mean that some varieties like Hayden, Ice Cream, Julie... would be somewhat easier to grow and better looking for y'all.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question for California mango growers.

Since your climate is drier than, for example, Florida's, does that mean that diseases like anthracnose are a non-issue?

I'm guessing that would mean that some varieties like Hayden, Ice Cream, Julie... would be somewhat easier to grow and better looking for y'all.

Antharacnose has never been a problem with my mangoes.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:06 PM »
It's so dry here that I haven't heard of anthracnose being a problem for anyone. I have Julie and Ice Cream because I assumed they would do good in our dry weather.

Back to the rootstock question. I ordered all of my trees from Florida because I wanted Turpentine rootstock. I figured Turpentine is a larger tree so it must have a larger root system. A larger root system should grow a larger grafted tree. I didn't even consider which root system would grow faster with less heat in SoCal.

Bill

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
It's so dry here that I haven't heard of anthracnose being a problem for anyone. I have Julie and Ice Cream because I assumed they would do good in our dry weather.

Back to the rootstock question. I ordered all of my trees from Florida because I wanted Turpentine rootstock. I figured Turpentine is a larger tree so it must have a larger root system. A larger root system should grow a larger grafted tree. I didn't even consider which root system would grow faster with less heat in SoCal.

Bill

Bill

I've notice that my Alfonso gets anthracnose during our wet winter months. I've sprayed it with copper fungicide two year ago but this year I left it alone and most of the bloom turned black and I had some dead branches. Most of my trees had powdery mildew this year. I will treat them with sulfur next year during our muggy season, the months of April thru July.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 05:02:56 AM »
JF, thanks for the info on your observations regarding your trees grown on Turpentine rootstock.  I planted out many Manilla and also Kent seeds, I guess it will be pretty easy to graft onto both types of rootstocks to see which one gives the faster growth.  It would make sense that turpentine rootstock initially grows faster because only one plant usually emerges from each seed meaning that plant gets all the stored energy from the seed whereas the manilla rootstock can have multiple embryos and usually has multiple sprouts coming up from each seed so the stored energy has to be shared and each embryo is in competition with its neighboring embryo for root and shoot development.  I remember reading somewhere that some people have suggested that Manilla rootstock may have slightly better cold tolerance but I have no evidence to prove this.  I also remember reading that people like using Manilla rootstock because they are more predictable and uniform in growth habit.
Simon

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
ant21, any of your potted mango fruited so far?  Do you noticed they grow and bloom a bit slower than the ones in the ground?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
JF, thanks for the info on your observations regarding your trees grown on Turpentine rootstock.  I planted out many Manilla and also Kent seeds, I guess it will be pretty easy to graft onto both types of rootstocks to see which one gives the faster growth.  It would make sense that turpentine rootstock initially grows faster because only one plant usually emerges from each seed meaning that plant gets all the stored energy from the seed whereas the manilla rootstock can have multiple embryos and usually has multiple sprouts coming up from each seed so the stored energy has to be shared and each embryo is in competition with its neighboring embryo for root and shoot development.  I remember reading somewhere that some people have suggested that Manilla rootstock may have slightly better cold tolerance but I have no evidence to prove this.  I also remember reading that people like using Manilla rootstock because they are more predictable and uniform in growth habit.
Simon

Kent is a solid vigorous mango here in Fl. Just going by the seed looks with and without the paper shell on.....My take is it will be a good rootstock. I have sprouted some to experiment with grafting.

I like a mango seed that with the shell on looks fat and is fat. I have a few trays of such seeds growing, anyone local who is desperate can PM me