Author Topic: Nutmeg, how to sow?  (Read 2267 times)

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
Nutmeg, how to sow?
« on: September 01, 2012, 06:43:21 AM »
Dear all,
I should receive some fresh seeds from Guadeloupe of nutmeg, but each time I tried to sow them, noting has grown. Last time I brought back some fresh seeds in wet paper, I collected in Thailand 1kg and put them in soil after 2 days, but nothing grown. Does someone has any training with nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)?
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Nutmeg, how to sow?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »
I've sprouted fresh nutmeg seeds I got from PR and all I did was rest them barely on the soil. They were only about less than half into the soil on their side.

How deep did you bury your seeds?

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
I think I buried them around 3cm. Do you have any idea of the rate of success you had? how many seeds you sowed? in which type of soil did you sowed them? So the idea would be just putting on the surface the seeds? I heared that some people covered them with degraded leaves to conserv enough humidity, what do you think about that?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
Murahilin is right. You should place the nutmeg on top of medium and just press it down, don't cover it. If you cover the seeds they rot. Also keep them well watered and in shade until they start coming up. You can also sprout them in a zip lock back with moistened sphagnum moss.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 05:48:24 PM »
A park nutmeg I know gets carpets of seedlings beneath it. The seedlings get herbicided when they get about 4 inches. It is funny that the mother tree thrives on neglect and seeds just sprout after dropping on the ground.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
A park nutmeg I know gets carpets of seedlings beneath it. The seedlings get herbicided when they get about 4 inches. It is funny that the mother tree thrives on neglect and seeds just sprout after dropping on the ground.

Yes. Those are conditions you want to imitate for sprouting seeds, minus ofcourse the herbicide. The seeds drop onto thick leaf litter in pretty heavy shade and lots I  of moisture. But not all germinate. I think percentage is probably pretty low. I have nutmeg trees here and have observed the same thing.l
Oscar

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:22:13 AM »
Ok thank you all for your answers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk