Author Topic: Need help with my Grimal Jabo --- M. spirito santensis  (Read 1656 times)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Need help with my Grimal Jabo --- M. spirito santensis
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
Adam --- here are some pics of my grafted Grimal Jabo (M. spirito santensis) I got from you in June.

What should I be doing with it at this point?

Fert, sun, water, ammendments, soil mix for repot and pot size????

Also I’m not sure if I removed all of the grafting tape after first new flush.  Check it out.

Dan

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with my Grimal Jabo --- M. spirito santensis
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »
Nice plant! My advise: put it in ground ;)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Need help with my Grimal Jabo --- M. spirito santensis
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Dan,

You woke the dead once again,

I'm here with some different advice.

The tape around the small graft union (where the scion meets the rootstock/ where my cuts were made) can be removed.  Be careful not to damage the thin cambium...gently peel off the tape without hurting the bark.  Small nicks and cuts in the cambium/bark won't hurt the tree though, I do it all the time myself. 

The rest of the tape around the scion can be left on to rot off....(in theory it will rot off of the graft union, but i never like to risk girdling a newly grafted tree!)

Never let any new vegetative growth push out underneath the graft union, on the rootstock...it will take some time for the tree to stop throwing out suckers sometimes...but they are easily managed over time...just be careful not to introduce infection into the rootstock when removing suckers, use clean tools or hands.

Also, I wouldn't rush, and plant this one in the ground...it will fruit much quicker in a pot.  And it will be easier to baby the tree.  If you go ahead and plant the tree, it will focus energy on root growth instead of fruit growth.  If left in the pot, you could get lucky and see flowers as soon as next spring!  I'm hoping for the best...but it could take another 2-3yrs if the tree decides take it's time...or the grower decides to neglect the trees needs.

Fertilize the tree frequently and lightly...reduce fertilizer in cold months of year during dormant periods.

Water regularly during growing season, keep in full sun.

Maybe step this plant up into a 3 gal or 5 gal...be sure to use a nice potting mix, that has a ph lower than 7, and good drainage.

GOOD LUCK DAN

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk