Author Topic: Spirit of '76 mango  (Read 15732 times)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Spirit of '76 mango
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
I bought this Spirit of '76 mango tree today. Do I have room for it? No. I'm hoping to buy a house a bit further south in the near future (with warmer pro-mango weather) and this was my excuse to buy it! I'm sure you understand my obsession! It's not a variety I've ever seen for sale, and there were 2 healthy specimens available today so I grabbed one...because I was unsure if another one would be readily available in the future. It seems to get good reviews for taste, appearance, etc.   I was reading old GW posts about this variety on my iPhone today at the nursery before I finally committed!  I re-potted it when I got home.

They're like the Varmint-Cong...

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Spirit of '76 mango
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
That is a beautiful looking tree. I have heard lots of good reviews about the fruit

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
Very nice acquisition Blue.  Finally a thread for the much deserved but relatively unknown mango.  Certainly one of my favorites.
Tim

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »
UPDATE: I told my dad about the tree and asked if he had room in his yard for it (he lives in a very mango-friendly place temperature-wise), so tomorrow the tree is going to his house to be planted!  I'm officially a mango-pusher. I found a picture from HMHausman online (of his Spirit of 76) and it looks like a beautiful tree. How would you describe the growth habit and size Harry? Is it similar to a Kent? What about fruit set (heavy..medium...light)? And disease resistance? Taste (sweet? floral tones, pineapple-y)? Thanks in advance.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »
Tim...how would you rate the following (the same questions I asked Harry).  There seems to be so little info. on this variety. Thanks!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »
You can't go wrong with this one. Excellent choice bluepalm.

From my observations, they are medium-sized, moderately-vigorous trees. The fruit is fairly colorful, medium sized (probably slightly over a pound on average). As far as comparing it to Kent, it is a better mango than Kent in my opinion. They are decent producers. Not great producers but certainly not poor either. They are also fairly fungus resistant.

They have a very rich and complex flavor with some citrus notes....specifically tangelo notes, imo. I think they would appeal to anyone who can appreciate a rich flavored mango but perhaps finds Dot or Carrie to be a bit 'too much' (I don't feel that way but have encountered many who do).

Should be much more widely planted. I think it was kind of forgotten about for some reason for a long time before Zill started propagating it again a couple years ago.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:02:53 PM by Squam256 »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
Congrats Bluepalm! That is one good looking tree...and it sounds like a pretty unsual variety that I've never seen before around here. I too would love to move about 2 hours south to grow more fruit trees...if and when the real estate market improves so I can sell this house first!

Good luck with your new Mango tree and your plans of moving south in the near future.

Nancy

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I tried Spirit of 76 last year, its an excellent tasting mango.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
Spirit of 76 is supposedly a seedling of the Zill mango.  It is thought to have been a result of a cross with Haden. Nothing definitive on this, but this is what Faorchild's says. The tree is supposedly moderately vigorous with a medium sized canopy, but at my house it has been slower and smaller growing than Fairchild's describes. It comes by its name rightfully because the exterior tends to be a fireworks of color when fully mature.  The flavor of this mango, for me,  is excellent.  I can't say that there are any specific undertones of flavor.  Its just a rich sweet tropical mango flavor without and resinous taste.  Its very meaty and fiberless.  Supposedly the fruit is so fiberless that you can score it around the mango inward to the seed and then twist and the mango will twist apart.  I have never tried this though.  The crops have been medium to light on what is one of my smaller trees.  This year,  the crop seems to be better than usual.  So, I should have some to be tried later in the season. The usual season for this is June into July.  Overall, this is a great mango to grow.  It gets my definite highest rating and seal of approval.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
I find the flavor of Spirit to be very similar to Zill 80 (or Z-80)....which is another mango that probably should have been propagated more.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
Now after reading the reviews of several of the mango gurus on here, am I glad I got it?   :) ;) :D ;D

Thank you for your input! I too agree that the Zill should be more widely grown. There were a couple of them for sale today too, as well as some other varieties you don't see often, including Duncan and Palmer.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »
Now after reading the reviews of several of the mango gurus on here, am I glad I got it?   :) ;) :D ;D

Thank you for your input! I too agree that the Zill should be more widely grown. There were a couple of them for sale today too, as well as some other varieties you don't see often, including Duncan and Palmer.

Just to clarify...the mango I was referring to was 'Zill 80'...which is a different cultivar from 'Zill'. 'Zill' is a nice mango too though; it has strong pineapple undertones, kind of a unique flavor. It was once fairly widely planted, though not so much anymore.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:07 AM »
Been meaning to get one of these trees for the last couple years. Might have to actually get one this year when I head south. You are up in Jacksonville right? Where did you manage to find it?

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:23 AM »
No, I'm in Brevard county (about 2 hours+ south of Jacksonville). I got it at Rockledge Gardens: 2153 South US Highway 1,  Rockledge, FL 32955  (321) 636-7662  www.rockledgegardens.com

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 02:25:41 AM »
Blue - I'm in no position to comment on the tree, its growth habit or anything else of that nature because I don't have this tree myself.  But it's definitely a tree I'd like to obtain.  My sampling of this came from the great wizard of mangoes himself.  As for the mango itself, it was a huge mango of beautiful colors.  Like Squam & Harry had already mentioned:  a minor citrus undertone, it's juicy, rich & complex yet very agreeable flavor.  Could easily be a top mango in a lot of people's minds.  Though it's good mango in its own right, but between Southern Blush and Spirit of 76, it absolutely boggles my mind why Japanese folks go googly eyes over Irwin. 

For those that don't have one, GO GET ONE  ;D ;D ;D
Tim

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:51 AM »
A richly flavored, highly colorful mango?   Sounds like a great way to win friends and influence people.
"Come back to my place and I'll show you my mangos."

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »
 :o

Oh, Dan, you're such a cut up!

BlueP - EXCELLENT vigorous looking tree which sounds like it will be a huge winner according to the Mango Gurus!
Nary a patch of brown left on my 1/2 acre or I'd consider it too......

FangaDango

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
Spirit of 76 is supposedly a seedling of the Zill mango.  It is thought to have been a result of a cross with Haden. Nothing definitive on this, but this is what Faorchild's says. The tree is supposedly moderately vigorous with a medium sized canopy, but at my house it has been slower and smaller growing than Fairchild's describes. It comes by its name rightfully because the exterior tends to be a fireworks of color when fully mature.  The flavor of this mango, for me,  is excellent.  I can't say that there are any specific undertones of flavor.  Its just a rich sweet tropical mango flavor without and resinous taste.  Its very meaty and fiberless.  Supposedly the fruit is so fiberless that you can score it around the mango inward to the seed and then twist and the mango will twist apart.  I have never tried this though.  The crops have been medium to light on what is one of my smaller trees.  This year,  the crop seems to be better than usual.  So, I should have some to be tried later in the season. The usual season for this is June into July.  Overall, this is a great mango to grow.  It gets my definite highest rating and seal of approval.

Harry

How is the disease resistance of this tree?

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
The tree has been planted near a Graham mango tree. Last night the racoons dug up the dirt from my newly potted Spirit of 76 and shredded a lot of the roots. I'm sure it will be fine. I watered it well today when planting.  I truly TIRE of racoons in my yard. Every night they dig up plants or climb plants and break them. Last night they dug in my blueberry (potted), Emperor lychee (potted), and Kaimana (in the ground). This goes on night after night. I think I may dislike them in my garden more than squirrels...tough call. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
I find disease resistance pretty good on the Spirit of 76.  It seems to set fruit despite powdery mildew.  And, while it does have some susceptability to anthracnose, it is more resistant than is Zill or Haden, the supposed parents.  I would say above average disease resistance overall......but not bulletproof.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
I find disease resistance pretty good on the Spirit of 76.  It seems to set fruit despite powdery mildew.  And, while it does have some susceptability to anthracnose, it is more resistant than is Zill or Haden, the supposed parents.  I would say above average disease resistance overall......but not bulletproof.

Harry

Which mangos would you describe as bulletproof?
Oscar
Oscar

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
  I truly TIRE of racoons in my yard. Every night they dig up plants or climb plants and break them. Last night they dug in my blueberry (potted), Emperor lychee (potted), and Kaimana (in the ground). This goes on night after night. I think I may dislike them in my garden more than squirrels...tough call.

My neighborhood racoons never bother my plants.  Maybe you should leave the lids off your garbage cans.
Do you have armadillos in your area?  They do a lot of digging too.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »

Oscar

I vote for Florigon as closest thing to  'bulletproof' standard. Maybe Carrie if we're mostly talking about anthracnose resistance of the fruit.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »
Blue palm, if you have a friend with a large dog, you can let it roam around your yard and have it pee everywhere. You can also purchase predator urine. I have skunks that dig up my yard looking for worms and grubs and the predator urine I bought from Armstrong seems to be working so far.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 02:46:21 AM »

Oscar

I vote for Florigon as closest thing to  'bulletproof' standard. Maybe Carrie if we're mostly talking about anthracnose resistance of the fruit.
My Florigons got PM this year for first time.  :'(
Oscar
Oscar