Author Topic: sorbus sp. hybrid  (Read 2664 times)

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
sorbus sp. hybrid
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:28:23 AM »
Anyone else growing this?

(Sorbus aucuparia x Aronia melanocarpa) x mespilus germanica, its hybrid bread by I.V. Michurin called Dezertnaja, this is first year it forming some fruits, should have very good taste comparing to other from the genus.
Daniel

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Re: sorbus sp. hybrid
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:56:22 AM »
I haven't seen that hybrid available here in the US. I have Shippova (Sorbus x Pyrus), Ivan's Beauty and Ivan's Belle - I believe one is a Sorbus crossed with a Hawthorn and the other is a Sorbus crossed with Aronia. They are just now reaching fruiting size and they are also just now showing signs are Cedar Hawthorn Rust or Cedar Quince Rust.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
I have what I believe to be a hybrid aucuparia that was grown from wild-gathered seed by a nurseryman here in the Appalachian mtns of NC. It blooms heavily and fruits every year. It seems to be fireblight free and is actually less needy of care and spraying than my apple trees. I have many seedlings.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
Here is photo of fall color on my wild sorbus.

aethiopicum

• Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
@ sanitarium : Have you tasted Dezertnaja yet? I'm very interested in this hybrid because i really like the taste of Mespilus germanicus (Mispel, forgot the English name). Is it comparable?
I would also love to get some cuttings from this, if you were willing to send some to Germany. I could find no one here in Germany selling it.