Author Topic: ...on sapodillas  (Read 1027 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
...on sapodillas
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »

Friend gave me this fruit from Nelson’s in ft pierce, first one I’ve enjoyed as it wasn’t sweet overload more balanced, but the grit was persistent...questions for the forum what’s the grit? Are their cultivars with non existent sandlike grit? TIA

-Joep450

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: ...on sapodillas
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 10:37:08 PM »
Most of the selected cultivars are either smooth and free of grit (eg, alano, silas woods, makok) or with a very tiny / nearly undetectable amount of grit (tikal, morena).

Oddly, though, I prefer the fruit of seedling trees with plenty of grit. The grit gives it substance and reminds me of a bartlett pear

Friend gave me this fruit from Nelson’s in ft pierce, first one I’ve enjoyed as it wasn’t sweet overload more balanced, but the grit was persistent...questions for the forum what’s the grit? Are their cultivars with non existent sandlike grit? TIA

-Joep450
Jeff  :-)

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: ...on sapodillas
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:47:31 PM »

-Joep450

The "Grit" is called stone cells. Similar to what is in Pears.

As mentioned in the post above, some are bred to lessen this effect.
- Colin