Author Topic: Top tier selections of Opuntia sp. Waiting list. Please post under here for add.  (Read 32974 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I have gotten an over whelming interest in top tier Prickly Pear (Opuntia sp.) pads. Unfortunately, my plants are container bound at the moment and availability is limited to pads until summer. I have talked to many people some I have promised pads for sourcing, trading, or sale. For those that are interested in being added to the list please add a message below.

The pad cost is going to be $4 per pad + shipping, pads are medium to large in size. If I agreed to a trade, remind me what it was. I think this is fair price to help cover the fertilizer inputs, cost of driving (for selections), and keeping up the collection.

Here is the list of what I have available.

Opuntia sp.: Cerritos #2
Extra Large Red/Orange Fruit with a sweet taste, extremely productive medium hard seeds. Potentially good processing fruit (juice, wine, puree). Might be prone to rotting fruit if not harvested in timely manner.

Opuntia sp: Visalia Yellow
Large yellow fruit, with refreshing moderate sweet flavor. This is one of those prickly pears that makes you easy want to crave more. Moderate amount of hard smaller seeds. Upright growth habit, moderate production.

Opuntia sp: Torrance PCH#1
Large red fruit with red interior. Excellent sweet flavor with subtle watermelon taste. Soft small seeds that can be broken down by teeth. Low spreading growth habit. Fruit resistant to rotting due to moisture/humidity. Fruit holds on plant for months through the winter, while maintaining great eating qualities. Production moderate to low.

Opuntia sp. Jeronimo M.V.
Large orange fruit with orange interior. Excellent honeydew melon taste. Soft small seeds. Moderate production.

All PARL accessions were selected for high BRIX over 12.
Opuntia sp. PARL 244
Medium sized yellow with orange interior fruit. Excellent honeydew melon taste. Precocious and single fruit was seedless (this may be due to no cross pollination occurring, also pad was smaller) This year I can confirm if this happens again. Differs slightly from NALPGRU description. So I am not sure if this is due to different growing conditions or size of plant.

Opuntia sp. PARL 237
You can look up accession in the system. Will add more info while growing it.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/site.pl?PARL

Opuntia sp. PARL 246

Opuntia sp. PARL 253

Opuntia sp. PARL 254

Opuntia sp. PARL 256

Opuntia sp. PARL 262

Opuntia sp. PARL 342

Opuntia sp. P.V. Spineless #1
Upright vigorous grower, growing near the ocean in SoCal. Fruit is Yellow/Red Medium/Large. Unfortunately, I was unable to taste any of the ripe fruit. The fruit is readily consumed by the local wild life, where as many other Opuntia sp. are left behind.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 03:57:22 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Null please add me to the list.  Your devotion to these plants is infectious and you now have me wanting to try my hand at them.

Richard

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Hi Stephen,

Please,add me to the list!

I will take one of each!

Thanks,

Ed

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Hey same for me, one of each
- David Antonio Garcia

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Oh boy you guys are going to put me to work  :P. I may have to start getting grafting down really well on this. I want to add more Opuntia sp., but I think that this list is enough to work off of right now lol. I promised some to Fang as well, anyway it will be nice to see him posting under here.

Btw, my profile picture is Opuntia sp. Torrance PCH#1.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:00:21 PM by nullzero »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
My pads are doing great.  I'll be bugging you for some pads again soon!

Jeronimo MV...one of best cactus fruit I've tasted...beautiful too.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Add me to the list for Opuntia sp: Visalia Yellow, Opuntia sp: Torrance PCH#1, Opuntia sp. Jeronimo M.V., Opuntia sp. PARL 244

Thanks for making these available.
Brandon

natsgarden123

Hi- these remind me of Israel-its called Sabra there

Can you please put me down for a few?

thanks
Nat

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Oh wow, that's a lot of interest. If it tastes good I'm interested.

One thing to do is try to grow them close together so their roots touch and they feel safe. Otherwise they will grow long needles for defense, especially when they're small.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I am going to be referencing this thread. Please remember there will be some wait. Some of these I only have 2 main pads of. So this years growth, and hardening off of that growth will determine availability.

Fang,

These selections all taste good to great. These selections I would say are top tier fresh eating fruit even considering the glochids.Cerritos #2 is a little lower on the fresh eating category, but its very high productivity and size make up for it for juice.

I think that most spineless selections will stay mostly spineless with some having occasional small spine suckers. I don't have a Opuntia sp. that I have observed going from spineless to long needles. This sounds like it could be possible in some selections.

I have found Opuntia sp. to be highly adaptable. I even have some growing in 80% shade and it alters its coloration and growth habit drastically. Only some of the Opuntia experience poor tolerance to wet conditions. The ones that have problems are with the wet + cold.

I wish I could share fresh fruit with all those that are skeptical of great taste :).

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
I want one of each of the first 5 you posted
- David Antonio Garcia

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Not sure if this fits in the post but it sure is a prickly pear.

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
I'll take one P.V. Spineless #1, one Jeronimo M.V., one Torrance PCH#1, and one Visalia Yellow. Just let me know when you are ready to ship. Thanks.

jb_fla

• View Profile
Null

I would like one pad of Visalia yellow, torrance pch 1, and jeronimo mv.

Thanks!!!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Torrance PCH#1 and Jeronimo M.V. I should be able to fill requests within 2 months. I can make future trips to the mother plant. Visalia Yellow unfortunately will probably only have 2 pads available later in the year. Torrance PCH#1 and Jeronimo M.V. are both on the top in the taste.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
I would be interested in a few when they are available. Thanks,  Dave

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Nullzy,

I'll take one each of Torrance PCH#1 and Jeronimo M.V. when they're available.  Thanks.

James
James

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I should be able to fill orders for the first 6 who wanted Jeronimo MV and Torrance PCH#1 within 3 weeks. For the rest it may be a while until July or so. The rest that I listed here have lower amounts of pads available atm, so it may take until the end of the year for new pads.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
I'm interested in any of those cvs. The Jeronimo you send me is growing. The two other pregerminated pieces of pad rotted :(

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I'm interested in any of those cvs. The Jeronimo you send me is growing. The two other pregerminated pieces of pad rotted :(

Felipe,

So sorry to hear, at least you got Jeronimo growing, thats a top tier fruit.

Xeno

• Ventura CA Zone 10
    • View Profile
I'd be interested in 1 of: Cerritos #2, Visalia Yellow, Torrance PCH#1, and Jeronimo M.V. Though Cerritos #2 sounds like the prickly pad I have at my house....

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits? No matter how much I try to avoid the thorns, I always end up getting pricked on my hands and sometimes even my lips when I eat them.  The fruit sold in store usually have their thorns removed.  I wonder how they're processed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:20:12 PM by xshen »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits? No matter how much I try to avoid the thorns, I always end up getting pricked on my hands and sometimes even my lips when I eat them.  The fruit sold in store usually have their thorns removed.  I wonder how they're processed.

There are a few ways to harvest easily.

The most professional way would be thick leather gloves using a heat knife to cut off the fruit. The heat knife would insure the cut off gets sealed, so the fruit would have a longer shelf life up to about a month.

Or you can use metal or plastic tongs and twist/pull until it comes off. After the fruit is off you can scrub with a coarse cloth and running water. Or you can take metal tongs and hold the fruit over a flame such as a gas stove, propane burner, or grill. Burning off the glochids should take about 30 secs over a flame while rotating.

After any of the above methods wash off with some pressure water.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
it sure is a prickly pear.

Looks like a perevskiopsis... i've never seen the fruits.

kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits?

This is what is used here:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-Hqz7FufxCXU/Tm2UhaJE31I/AAAAAAAAB8A/7xc2hq_-3Yw/15_thumb9.jpg?imgmax=800
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
it sure is a prickly pear.

Looks like a perevskiopsis... i've never seen the fruits.

kinda off topic but how do you guys harvest the fruits?

This is what is used here:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-Hqz7FufxCXU/Tm2UhaJE31I/AAAAAAAAB8A/7xc2hq_-3Yw/15_thumb9.jpg?imgmax=800

Nice I need one of those harvesters :). I actually need a nice heat knife I can hook upto a cart with a car battery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk