Author Topic: Fruit and spice park visit 5/23  (Read 3400 times)

jb_fla

• View Profile
Fruit and spice park visit 5/23
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
Went to the Fruit/spice park today.  Early in the season for most stuff there but I think I made out ok.  Made it to the row of jab's and wanted to find the white jaboticaba.  I told my wife to look for the jab with yellow leaves, and sure enough it stood out.  Lo and behold, there was one fruit left on the tree.  And it happened to fall on the ground right in front of me!

For me the big hit was the Redlands white sapote.  From afar I saw some man gorging on fruit beneath a tree and figured it was a good one to check out.  Upon arrival the guy looked like a scene from walking dead, only this time he was feasting on white sapote not human.  He had sapote all over his face and shirt and commented that he forgot his knife, haha.  Well after one bite, even though I had brought my knife I looked the same as the other guy.  It was sooo good.  There was also Bonita springs which was good but not quite as good as the Redlands.

I then feasted on many mangos.  Some I recognized, some I didn't.  The clear winner for today was the Spirit of 76.  Absolutely delish.

I then headed to Pine Island for a first visit.  I was looking for a couple things they didn't have so I drove over to Lara Farms.  Julian spent nearly 1.5 hrs giving me a tour.  Along the way I collected a bunch of mangos and mamey fruit.  I also picked up a Ross sapote, haysa sapodilla, green sapote and a gefner atemoya tree, all for $15 each.

I am stuffed with a ton of mangos I need to go through!!!  On a side note, I had a Pineapple pleasure from zills that was incredible.  The whole family loved it, probably tied with Edward, if not a touch better.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit and spice park visit 5/23
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:56 PM »
Sounds like a great day!!!  I am hoping to head down there for the first time next week so I m pretty excited.  Oh and What a great snag on the white jabo fruit and hopefully you took the seed! 

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:00:47 PM »
Um, that would be 'seed's', lol.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
That sounds like a great and messy day, lucky fellow.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »
Any day a person can face plant into a ripe W. Sapote is a good day! ;) 8)Thank's for sharing.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:10 PM »
JB -

How would you describe the taste of the Redlands White Sapote?

I have a small tree but so far I only got two immature fruits which didnt make it to complete maturity.

-Brad
Brad

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 01:30:48 AM »
F&S park is a really great place. Wish we had something comparable over here. I guess it's just too easy to grow them here and most people aren't interested in what's easy?  :o :-\
Oscar

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the report! I'll be there in June, can't wait. Are those fruits something you have to pay for? Sounds like once you paid admissions, you can grab and eat whatever is on the trees, is that the wrong impression I'm getting? 8-))

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
The rule is you can only eat the fruit that had fallen on the ground. 

Brad, the redlands was outstanding.  I ate both fruit that was yellow and softer and more green and firm and just loved it. 

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
The rule is you can only eat the fruit that had fallen on the ground.

On its own? or with some help?  ;D
J/K.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
F&S park is a really great place. Wish we had something comparable over here. I guess it's just too easy to grow them here and most people aren't interested in what's easy?  :o :-\

Quoting Oscar :  most people aren't interested in what's easy..

I would not say ' MOST ' but the hard core in this group ( including myself ) may be a little masochists by trying to grow the difficult stuff , from seeds of course ...but the result ( if successful ) is so much more satisfying .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north