Author Topic: mango seedling  (Read 2852 times)

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
mango seedling
« on: August 17, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
hello everyone, im new in gardening but i really started to enjoy seeing things grow. im germinateing alot of exotic fruits at the moment like mango, avocado etc but there is something bothering me it looks like my seedling has stopped growing i took it out of the pot to see if it was growing roots and it is (does this mean its spending its energy on his roots) here is a picture from its current state

its been like this for a bit now anyone got some sugestions? on how to handle it or should i just let nature run its course?
would love to hear your feedback
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 03:47:40 PM by Zioxx »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Re: mango seedling
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Here's one of the ways I like to start my Seedlings .

Good look with yours , Can't see the picture ..

Ed
Zone 10

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
hmmm the picture wont upload here is the picture of mine !

https://postimg.cc/image/g8mhji74f/

you got any tips on how to make it grow?

like potting soil/fertilizer? :D

since its not really growing anymore but its creating an root system so hopeing it will grow in the future

have to say it willprobably be a lost cause i geuss since i live in holland so not an optimal climate but want to give it the best chance possible !

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:07:56 PM »
it looks fine to me.
How long has it been like that?

Mangos trees grow in flushes so it will sit pretty then you'll double your leaves and so on

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:21:01 PM »
Groetjes van zonnige Florida.

Having lived in Dendermonde and Leuven in Belgium for a few years, i agree, it will be tough with your climate, but we've got members here from Russia who are growing tropical plants.  If they can do it, so can you.

Do you have a greenhouse that you can use for the winter?  Do you have plans for supplemental light?

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »
Looks healthy !
Zone 10

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »

Having lived in Dendermonde and Leuven in Belgium for a few years, i agree, it will be tough with your climate, but we've got members here from Russia who are growing tropical plants.  If they can do it, so can you.

Do you have a greenhouse that you can use for the winter?  Do you have plans for supplemental light?

it has been sitting like this for almost 2/3 weeks its probably focusing on the root system (it didnt have almost any roots eventhough i all ready had a few leaves)

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »

Groetjes terug van uit het natte Nederland :-)

not at the moment i was thinking of keeping it in a big pot for the rest of the year sitting on a warm spot in the house. till its a bit more mature (its only 1 1/2 months old)

you have any tips on what kind of temperatures i should stay at for this little guy?

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »
The roots support the tree, so the more roots the better. From my experience mangos don't grow super fast like a locust tree. They will push leaves,sit for many weeks, then push again.

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »
aahh good to hear ! hopefully it will start pushing soon then 

and asfor the soil what would be a great mix?

its sitting now in regular potting soil should i change it or can i leave it like it is?

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »

not at the moment i was thinking of keeping it in a big pot for the rest of the year sitting on a warm spot in the house. till its a bit more mature (its only 1 1/2 months old)

you have any tips on what kind of temperatures i should stay at for this little guy?

Temps - keep it indoors and you'll be fine as long as it gets enough light.  Don't over-water the plant either as the roots will rot out on you.

As for growth, over the next year or so it may only double in size or it could really take off - depends on the genetics.  I've got 2 mango's that I started last June that are about 20 inches high and have 4 sets of leaves, 2 of them are about 24 inches high with about 6 sets of leaves and my star performer is about 36 inches high now and has all kinds of growth and is taking off.

All depends on the genetic lottery.

Zarafet

• Southern California 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »
I would use palm soil they like GOOD drainage.

aahh good to hear ! hopefully it will start pushing soon then 

and asfor the soil what would be a great mix?

its sitting now in regular potting soil should i change it or can i leave it like it is?

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »

Temps - keep it indoors and you'll be fine as long as it gets enough light.  Don't over-water the plant either as the roots will rot out on you.

As for growth, over the next year or so it may only double in size or it could really take off - depends on the genetics.  I've got 2 mango's that I started last June that are about 20 inches high and have 4 sets of leaves, 2 of them are about 24 inches high with about 6 sets of leaves and my star performer is about 36 inches high now and has all kinds of growth and is taking off.

All depends on the genetic lottery.

hope im good then, bought this pit from the local supermarket (and had all ready germinated inside the main shell)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »
looks healthy to me also, you can have weeks and even months between growth spurts.   you might want to get a container that is a bit more deeper,  so the roots can grow down some more.   as others said,  keep well drained,  do not over water.   but don't let the soil dry out for too long also.  good luck.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 07:05:33 PM »
it started to grow again!

https://postimg.cc/image/p254bvd73/

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
Mango seeds germinate best at 30C, in an aerated substrate mix: 50% vermiculite/50% peat is the best.
The top 3cm should be only vermiculite once you plant the seed. Pots must be deep 25cm and narrow, they have a tap root growing fast. Seedlings grow better in smaller a container rather than a big one. Keep the mango growing until the stem is 6-8mm, then you can graft the plant. My seedlings grow during the summer to this size only in 3 months, because of the tropical summers where  temperatures reach 20C at night and 30-35C during the day. Very important is to throw the seed out once is brown.
More heat means more growth. Light is not so important at this stage, in fact they get burnt in direct sun.