Author Topic: Question about Passiflora edulis vine from Lara Farms  (Read 1846 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Question about Passiflora edulis vine from Lara Farms
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:08:35 PM »
I purchased a Passiflora edulis vine from Lara Farms last July. It flowers, but the flowers drop after a few days. Not sure if this is a self sterile flavicarpa or the vine is just not mature enough to hold fruit yet.I have attempted to contact them via email and instagram dm with no answer. :( Does anyone know what P. edulis variations they sell/ what could be the issue preventing fruiting?
Thanks in advance!
Anisha

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Passiflora edulis vine from Lara Farms
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:45 AM »
I purchased a Passiflora edulis vine from Lara Farms last July. It flowers, but the flowers drop after a few days. Not sure if this is a self sterile flavicarpa or the vine is just not mature enough to hold fruit yet.I have attempted to contact them via email and instagram dm with no answer. :( Does anyone know what P. edulis variations they sell/ what could be the issue preventing fruiting?
Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is to speak with Julian.

As to your vine, do you have any pollinators?  Do you have a second Passiflora you could hand/cross pollinate it with?
- Rob

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 12:59:35 AM »
The vine is in my greenhouse so I can only hand pollinate. I only have one P. edulis vine. I do have other Passifloras,  but they have yet to flower. I'll probably have to buy another variety . But I live in Ohio and will have to get it through someone on the forum or an online source. I could try calling and will keep the name you gave me in mind.
Anisha

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »
You probably need to hand pollinate it.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 11:08:55 AM »
I like to rip off the little pads when you notice a heavy pollen layer and just rub those on different flowers. It is even better when you have different varieties which will be soon for you it sounds like. They don't like too much nitrogen and I put a really heavy layer of mulch on mine. They like staying moist. My guess is cross pollination.
-Josh

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »
You probably need to hand pollinate it.

Will try again.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 10:58:22 PM »
I like to rip off the little pads when you notice a heavy pollen layer and just rub those on different flowers. It is even better when you have different varieties which will be soon for you it sounds like. They don't like too much nitrogen and I put a really heavy layer of mulch on mine. They like staying moist. My guess is cross pollination.
Will keep your hints in mind. I will make a post requesting to buy passiflora cuttings next month.
Anisha