Author Topic: Papaya leaf issue ID  (Read 2141 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Papaya leaf issue ID
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:25:14 PM »
I moved my plants from the green house to outside and after a few days, this occurred.

Anisha

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya leaf issue ID
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:36:34 AM »
Look like sunburn.

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 05:58:47 AM »
Kia ora,

unless you have a greenhouse made out of ETFE (the final solution in greenhouse plastics) I would also guess that's UV light sun burn.
There are three things you can do:
1. You leave your plants in the greenhouse in summer and improve air exchange to the point that your greenhouse stay under 30ºC
2. You get you plants slowly (10 minutes per day for some days, 15 minutes, 20 min...) used to UV before you move them out.
3. You get greenhouse plastic out of ETFE (Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETFE.
    10 times more expensive than Polyethylene but: 95% light transmittance incl. UV light, 75+ years expected live span, self-cleaning.

Do you have a double layer air gap greenhouse ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:14:38 AM by AndyNZ »

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:07:02 AM »
Kia ora,

unless you have a greenhouse made out of ETFE (the final solution in greenhouse plastics) I would also guess that's UV light sun burn.
There are three things you can do:
1. You leave your plants in the greenhouse in summer and improve air exchange to the point that your greenhouse stay under 30ºC
2. You get you plants slowly (10 minutes per day for some days, 15 minutes, 20 min...) used to UV before you move them out.
2. You get greenhouse plastic out of ETFE (Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETFE.
    10 times more expensive than Polyethylene but: 95% light transmittance incl. UV light, 75+ years expected live span, self-cleaning.

Do you have a double layer air gap greenhouse ?
Thanks for your response.
The material is EFTE Protected, but I don't know if it's a double layer air gap. Parents had it built for me so I don't know much about that. :P
I should just bring them back in. They just aren't used to even partial sun UV outside. I was just trying to free up some space since the greenhouse isn't too big.
Anisha

AndyNZ

• Do you have seeds of Mango 'Gomera 1' ?
    • New Zealand, Far North, Zone 10b (frost free)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »
Just in case you have another wish free...
My last USDA zone 6 project was a to build a greenhouse for 200+ pot plants.
- Heated: min. +1ºC in winter (-20ºC) with the absolute minimum heating cost.
- High air exchange in summer.
- Low cost.
I had chosen a 8 m wide x 4 m high x 12 m long Filclair Nordiclair (gothic arched tunnel) greenhouse for my client.
http://www.polydome.ie/brochures/filclair/polydome_tunnel_brochure.pdf
This system is incredible good isolating. Unbreakable (snow). And cheap. Just 3500 Euro in 2011 for 100m2.

If you grow exclusive in pots, I highly recommend you to use root restrictions bags inside your pots.
This dwarfs your plants. You can grow usually 40m high growing trees at 2m. No pruning required, they just stop growing and start fruiting. A 3 gallon root restriction bag in a 40 litre pot has the highest productive 2m trees produced in my setup.
I use High Caliper root control bags. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=High+Caliper+root+control+bag

Good luck :)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:10:09 AM by AndyNZ »

ibliz

• The Tropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »
I have experienced  this several times when moving seedling from greenhouse to outdoor. I believed this is an acclimatization problem. The good news is, the new leaves that grow wont have this problem.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
Just in case you have another wish free...
My last USDA zone 6 project was a to build a greenhouse for 200+ pot plants.
- Heated: min. +1ºC in winter (-20ºC) with the absolute minimum heating cost.
- High air exchange in summer.
- Low cost.
I had chosen a 8 m wide x 4 m high x 12 m long Filclair Nordiclair (gothic arched tunnel) greenhouse for my client.
http://www.polydome.ie/brochures/filclair/polydome_tunnel_brochure.pdf
This system is incredible good isolating. Unbreakable (snow). And cheap. Just 3500 Euro in 2011 for 100m2.

If you grow exclusive in pots, I highly recommend you to use root restrictions bags inside your pots.
This dwarfs your plants. You can grow usually 40m high growing trees at 2m. No pruning required, they just stop growing and start fruiting. A 3 gallon root restriction bag in a 40 litre pot has the highest productive 2m trees produced in my setup.
I use High Caliper root control bags. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=High+Caliper+root+control+bag

Good luck :)
Thanks, I didn't even know root control bags existed! Ill definitely try to invest in them. Polydome also sounds like a good investment.
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
I have experienced  this several times when moving seedling from greenhouse to outdoor. I believed this is an acclimatization problem. The good news is, the new leaves that grow wont have this problem.
Very true. I am hoping that they will fruit this summer outside. Now that they're about 9 months old.
Anisha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk