Author Topic: Salathiel Lychee  (Read 8481 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Salathiel Lychee
« on: March 27, 2013, 09:33:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has tasted Salathiel Lychee? I'm especially interested in how it compares to Kaimana. I saw a video on YouTube that shows the fruit and it looks like an awesome cultivar. I noticed that in the video, the fruit is extremely dry when the skin is broken. This feature reminds me of No Mai Tsze, my favorite cultivar. I've read that some people have suggested that Salathiel is a seedling of NMT and still others feel that Salathiel is NMT. Thanks for any information you can provide.
Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Salathiel Lychee
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 02:06:43 AM »
I haven't tasted Salathiel, and probably never will. This tree doesn't like tropical areas. Tree grows fine, though slowly here, but never flowers. Kaimana on the other hand is much more suited for tropics. The Kaimana would not be good in SD, Salathiel more likely to fruit for you.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »
Brilliant lychee. Fruits biennially. Super slow grower and is classed as a dwarf. Crisp and sweet. This season is its off season, so I'm getting hungry thinking about it!

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
Simon,

I have never had a Salathiel luchee, but I think that Oscar is right about having a better chance of it fruiting in southern CA.  I got an air layer last year, and it has started to put out flower buds.  It may be just a stress response, but I am hopeful that I will do well for me.

Richard

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
Salathiel lychee sure sounds like a yum yum lychee, with tiny chicken tongue seeds 8) Bruce...no wonder ya luv 'em ;D

Salathiel Lychee Tree [url=http://www.DaleysFruit.com.au]www.DaleysFruit.com.au[/url]
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Now I really want to get a couple Salathiel trees. I currently have a medium sized Sweetheart and two Kaimana lychees that have partial blooms. My two Kaimana are too small to hold fruit this year so I will remove any fruit if any hold. My Sweetheart is now large enough to hold a few fruit so I'll let it hold about 20-40 fruit, if they hold, and remove everything else. Only my Ohia Pink is not flowering this year. I killed both my No Mai Tsze and my Kwa Luk a while back. Quang from Ongs nursery in Linda Vista has a larger Kaimana that has flowered and fruited.

Rtreid, please keep me in mind if your tree gets large enough to pull an air layer off😁
Simon

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
Salathiel is the best if you an fruit it. I had thought it was confirmed as No Mai Chee about 30 years ago???
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Litchi/LycheeVarieties5-83.htm

Brian Watson has real lychee muscle and 30 years ago he suggested Salathiel was in fact a variant of no mai chee sometimes called no mai chee late. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 05:22:58 PM »
Salathiel is the best if you an fruit it. I had thought it was confirmed as No Mai Chee about 30 years ago???

I have both Salathiel and No Mai Tze. They can't be identical because their growth habits are totally different. Salathiel is a dwarfie and No Mai Tze seems to be standard size and growth pattern.
Oscar

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
why do you believe know your NMC is in fact the real mccoy?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
why do you believe know your NMC is in fact the real mccoy?

Just trusting reputable nursery that sold it to me. It hasn't fruited so i can't say with certainty. Then again how many things can we say with certainty? :o
Oscar

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 03:20:38 PM »
with regret in all probability you do not have tue NMC. I say this only because of the historty that in my head ended in the 80's....namely NMC was extremely diffcult to nail down with multiple misidentifications plus the incredible commerical pressure on nursrymen, etc. to yell Eureka I have NMC. 

In fact I don't think us here in Ozland with all our efforts have NMC even now. Mike T should be able to state whether I am right or wrong as of 2013

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »
with regret in all probability you do not have tue NMC. I say this only because of the historty that in my head ended in the 80's....namely NMC was extremely diffcult to nail down with multiple misidentifications plus the incredible commerical pressure on nursrymen, etc. to yell Eureka I have NMC. 

In fact I don't think us here in Ozland with all our efforts have NMC even now. Mike T should be able to state whether I am right or wrong as of 2013

What may be true in Australia is not necessarily true in USA. I doubt they were accessed in the same way.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 03:02:59 AM »
I think Recher is correct with NMC in Australia and I have not had them that really fit the Chinese description of this variety.As there are supposed to be a large number of varieties in Australia brought from China it could be here under another name perhaps. If the US received them independently and not through Australia there is no reason the real McCoy is not there and correctly named.
I could ask Brian Watson if genuine NMC is in Australia and if he knows whether they are in the US.

Recher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »
ask brian.... highly unlikely usa had success with NMC... ask brian again about salathiel.. is he positive in 2013 it is not NMC.. hmmm calling it a 'late variant'.... we do know growing seedlings to fruit Lychee would have to be the worst gamble.... extremely heterozygous combined with a long lag time to fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
Recher he is pretty good on lychees and did alot on unravelling true identities for the industry and did papers for the RFC.Fai zee siu came in under his watch.Besides erdon lee and a few seedless types nothing much has happened with new lychee varieties in a while.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
Its just harder to get them in now. Seems to be less will betweeen growers and government to bring in new varieites and species.
Growth rates of NMT and Salathiel are reportedly different - salathiel is a slow but steady grower, while the ones labelled NMT/NMC are tender when young and a pain to grow out to the size where they eventually take off. This year was a bad lychee year near here. I had hardly any and the local farm only had a few varieites produce well.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »
How does everyone feel about the authenticity of the NMT at the research station at Hilo Hawaiiehere Dr. Zee resides? I believe they have multiple accessions. I would attempt to graft more lychee but read somewhere that different varieties have different chromosome numbers.
Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
How does everyone feel about the authenticity of the NMT at the research station at Hilo Hawaiiehere Dr. Zee resides? I believe they have multiple accessions. I would attempt to graft more lychee but read somewhere that different varieties have different chromosome numbers.
Simon

Dr. Zee definitely knows his lychees and would easily be able to spot an impostor. I think he's also done DNA testing. If i get a chance i'll ask him about NMT.
Oscar

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 10:28:38 PM »
What is the size of NMT fruit?  The NMT they are selling locally is a smaller fruit with a smaller seed.  Mature trees are smaller too.  Late season variety here.  Fruits about once every fve years in SW Florida.

Brad
Brad

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Hey Brad, I've tasted NMC in Hong Kong and China and they were medium sized or approximately 20-25 grams roughly.
Simon