Author Topic: Grafting with micropore  (Read 1401 times)

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Grafting with micropore
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:30:23 AM »
Has anyone tried to graft citrus with micropore tape?
Not to warp the union, but the upper part.
Most of my scions tend to get mold inside in the upper part, so I am looking for a material that breaths. Parafilm would be okay I guess.
3m micropore is a breathable material, bacteria can't go inside, and the glue is not so sticky. It's been succeful in tissue culture.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting with micropore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
I haven’t used micropore, sounds similar to buddy tape.

If you get mold/fungus on your scions, try spraying with a fungicide and let the scion dry before wrapping. You can also treat the scion while it is still on the mother tree and let the fungicide completely dry before removing and wrapping the scions.

Buddy tape is breathable but I still get moisture trapped beneath the tape but I don’t get fungus because of my pre treatment.

Simon

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
I haven’t used micropore, sounds similar to buddy tape.

If you get mold/fungus on your scions, try spraying with a fungicide and let the scion dry before wrapping. You can also treat the scion while it is still on the mother tree and let the fungicide completely dry before removing and wrapping the scions.

Buddy tape is breathable but I still get moisture trapped beneath the tape but I don’t get fungus because of my pre treatment.

Simon

This happens when it's high humidity during the winter/spring in my greenhouse.
Micropore is paper based, it lets the air come inside very tiny holes so small that bacteria can't get in. There is another one plastic based Transpore but the pores are bigger and material can breath more. Both are found in hospital supplies from 3M a US based company.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:43 AM »
I have not heard of this material and have used Parafilm so far which has worked great. I usually wrap the union and the scions too and there has never been any mould. Would micropore be cheaper than Parafilm?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
Micropore is paper based, inside a greenhouse it's okay. Transpore is plastic based but holes are bigger. I will try with them. I guess if the scion breaths is better, when it's too hot or too humid.
They are found is hospital pharmacies and used by surgeons because it lets the cut breath but doesn't allow bacteria to go inside.
5m costs like 2 euros.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk