Author Topic: Help - Orange Tree  (Read 1765 times)

sampatel

• Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Help - Orange Tree
« on: May 28, 2019, 04:20:21 PM »
Hi All,
I want to plant one Orange tree in my backyard. I am in West Palm Beach which has Sandy soil. Which variety will be best in terms for growth/production? Family member like clementine but not sure whether that is suitable or not in Florida? Already have lime and lemon so don't need that. Also any special soil preparation needed for before planting? Will buy 3 or 7 gallon and Can keep patience for 2-3 years or so before fruiting. Regular watering (drip system) and fertilizer will be given. Any particular nursery which has good Orange trees in south Florida?

Thank you for your suggestions. 

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Orange Tree
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »
A longer harvest period (and fruits mature in the right months), could be more important than a big production.

Clementines are more sweet than acidic, small, easy to peel and seedless. Children love all of those traits, but take in mind that this trees are vigorous and have thorns and a relatively short harvest period. Clemenules is a good standard variety.

Navel oranges are seedless, much bigger, stand better in the tree without losing a lot of quality and can be more versatile. All navel oranges are good to eat. Some are better for juice than other. Cara Cara is a nice curiosity but Washington is perfect, as Lane Late (late) or Navelina (early)

White Oranges are specially good for juice, but have seeds, and sometimes vicious thorns. Are also more yellow orange than the Navel group. I would pick the former.

Tangerines and Tangors are more acidic than Clementines (a more interesting mix of flavours for some people) and have seeds (that is often a problem with small children). Alternaria is a problem often with Tangerines. The variety Safor is resistant.

Try to provide as many manure as possible in any case and choose carefully the rootstock.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:04:35 PM by pvaldes »

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm in for the Washington Navel. Get a nice size tree. Usualy around 250-300$ for a decent size.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
I am also for Washington Naval
 Just a good orange regardless if you squeeze or wheeze. The Moro is vety good too and makes a great addition to food....salad........yes

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »
Try a Minneola Tangelo, a cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit. Few seeds, prolific, very easy to peel and absolutely delicious.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Now, don't go knocking the Cara Cara orange.  lol.  A good ripe Cara Cara is a wonderful piece of fruit, in fact one of my favorites.  I do like a good Washington orange also.  Another favorite is the Clementine, though I'm not sure how they will do for you.  I find most Minneola Tangelos too sharp or acidic for my palette. I have not had any ripe from the tree to judge, only store bought.

TFN

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:02:20 PM »
I forgot to mention another you might be interested in and that's the Temple Orange, cross between an orange and a tangerine. Super good tasting fruit, not sold in stores but trees are available.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 07:37:04 AM »
Depends on what you want to use the oranges for. If you're looking for something to make orange juice, you don't want a navel. They are not good juice oranges. If you want something to eat out of hand that's easy to peel, you want a mandarin. One of my favorites is the Ponkan mandarin. For juice, I like the Hamlin orange.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
I agree w/ Too Far North re: the Mineola.... but if you wait them out a little longer they become sweeter , very easy to peel and if you juice them like me...tons of juice!
My friend has 2 huge 20-30ft Mineola trees here in Arizona but my favorite are the Moro blood orange he has .