Author Topic: HELP: new mango tree dying  (Read 3941 times)

Charlie23

• View Profile
HELP: new mango tree dying
« on: April 10, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
If it's not dying, then it sure look very very depressed or close to dying.  Just recently bought a carrie mango tree in a 5 gallon container with some bloom.  I repotted it in a 15 gallon not long after purchasing it in potting soil and mulch.  Then started noticing all the bloom became brown/died, so i spread some copper fungicide.  Well now the leaves are dropping and the blooms are history, and the leaves that are on the tree look like they're on their last leg... any idea??

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: HELP: new mango tree dying
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:24:42 PM »
Too moist of a soil mix.. Root rot?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:03:21 PM by pj1881 »

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Smell your dirt to see if it smells sour. Also check the drainage holes.

Ed

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »
u have picture?

If it's not dying, then it sure look very very depressed or close to dying.  Just recently bought a carrie mango tree in a 5 gallon container with some bloom.  I repotted it in a 15 gallon not long after purchasing it in potting soil and mulch.  Then started noticing all the bloom became brown/died, so i spread some copper fungicide.  Well now the leaves are dropping and the blooms are history, and the leaves that are on the tree look like they're on their last leg... any idea??
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
How often are you watering?  I am almost going in the other direction and thinking not enough water.  You said you "spread some copper fungicide"...did you spray the tree ?  Besides a little more details on watering practice, as Jeff said, can you post pictures ?  Also, depending on how rootbound the tree was in the five gallon, might have been better to bump to a 7 or 10 gallon instead of up to a 15.
- Rob

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »

How often are you watering?  I am almost going in the other direction and thinking not enough water.  You said you "spread some copper fungicide"...did you spray the tree ?  Besides a little more details on watering practice, as Jeff said, can you post pictures ?  Also, depending on how rootbound the tree was in the five gallon, might have been better to bump to a 7 or 10 gallon instead of up to a 15.

Hey bsbullie, what is the reasoning behind that? I ask because I've not always had success with certain potbound mangoes - for example, I've got a lancetilla that has stayed static in size since I got it 2 years ago.

To Charlie 23: I have had two different mangoes succumb to root-rot when I first planted them. Sound very similar to the symptoms you describe. It happened to me when I planted smallish trees right at the beginning of our Aruban rainy season.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »

Hey bsbullie, what is the reasoning behind that? I ask because I've not always had success with certain potbound mangoes - for example, I've got a lancetilla that has stayed static in size since I got it 2 years ago.

To Charlie 23: I have had two different mangoes succumb to root-rot when I first planted them. Sound very similar to the symptoms you describe. It happened to me when I planted smallish trees right at the beginning of our Aruban rainy season.
It is best to gradually move up in pot size instead of a larger jump (bigger pot does not mean a bigger tree).  This allows for better root development and ultimately a stronger root system...which makes for a stronger plant.  The tree can develop root systems that possibly could not support the tree.  You can also have issues with watering and fertilization if the pot is too big for the tree.  Both could tend to be too much for the plant and have adverse effects on the plant.  Container culture is much different in comparison to planting that 3 gallon directly into the ground.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »
It is best to gradually move up in pot size instead of a larger jump (bigger pot does not mean a bigger tree).  This allows for better root development and ultimately a stronger root system...which makes for a stronger plant.  The tree can develop root systems that possibly could not support the tree.  You can also have issues with watering and fertilization if the pot is too big for the tree.  Both could tend to be too much for the plant and have adverse effects on the plant.  Container culture is much different in comparison to planting that 3 gallon directly into the ground.

I don't understand what you mean that it could develop a root system that could not support the tree. Can you explain?

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
i've been watering it about twice a week and the weather has been mainly in the 80's here. 
I sprayed the fungicide on the leaves and bloom.

will take some pics soon.