Author Topic: Growing mangoes in clear containers  (Read 2932 times)

Herman

• View Profile
Growing mangoes in clear containers
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »
So I had a few mango seeds lying around, all bought as whole mangoes from a grocery store and all of the same kind, and I had decided to grow them for fun.  I start them in clear containers with only perlite (and water of course).  A few I've moved to opaque containers with better growing medium after they have gone through a flush of growth, but a couple I've left in the clear containers with the perlite.  To my surprise, the ones grown in clear containers are much more greener than the ones I've moved to the opaque containers.  The green on the leaves are really dark, and noticeable.  I doubt that it is due to the perlite medium.  I know that orchid roots like light, but what about mangoes, or trees in general? 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Growing mangoes in clear containers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
I think most roots don't like light, but not surprising that some don't mind. Certainly surface roots of trees get light all the time. Which species like and don't like light or don't mind it, i doubt anyone knows. Interesting experiment though.
Oscar
Oscar

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Here's some visuals:

This is one after repot to opaque container and better soil.

This is one in clear container in perlite.  Leaves are very dark green and shiny.

This shows the roots of the same mango in clear container.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
While I don't know the answer to your question, I think it'd be a great idea to grow things in clear containers so we can tell for sure if the plant is rootbound, or not. I haven't seen any large size clear containers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
While I don't know the answer to your question, I think it'd be a great idea to grow things in clear containers so we can tell for sure if the plant is rootbound, or not. I haven't seen any large size clear containers.

You could have the best of both worlds by rigging a cover for the pot that you can easily take off to look at the roots, and then put back on if light bothers the roots....Just an idea.
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk