Author Topic: Just Visited My Old House In St Augustine FL Sad News.  (Read 3278 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Just Visited My Old House In St Augustine FL Sad News.
« on: July 25, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »
So this week I was assigned To Work in the Jacksonville office , I took my family with me and decided to have a look at our old house, Sadly the new owners ripped out every single fruit tree, Banana tree I ever planted there 😳

That was a sad site to see, my Girls couldn't Belive it ..
Even the Citrus trees I planted ..

I went to google earth to see the rear of the house and they also removed the trees in the rear .

I had planted trees on both sides , rear and front of the house ..
That is crazy ..

Here's a google earth pic ..

Zone 10

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Just Visited My Old House In St Augustine FL Sad News.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:56 PM »
Yes, that's sad. But oh well, what can you do? You did the right thing planting those trees. Keep planting trees! Somebody will indeed appreciate them.
Oscar

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:26 PM »
Yes, that stinks, but the new owner is free to do as he pleases. Everyone has different goals.

When I plant, I like to make sure the front door is not shaded. I found that when the front door is shaded, its an invitation for mosquitoes. Also a nice breeze helps keep them away too since they aren't strong flyers.

I plant for comfort (sun, wind, shade), convenience, either to preserve or block a view. I like to keep a buffer zone around my house to experience the beautiful night sky, keep the wind breeze, have grass to enjoy (for kids and pets), avoid leaves off front and rear patios etc.  This may include using dwarf (condo) trees and/or palms around the house.  Small fruit gets placed on walking paths as to get picked/observed without going out of the way. Snack trees like guavas, loquats, and sapodilla near kids play areas to encourage them to snack on fruits.

When I had a small lot, I had 2 or 3 fruit trees. Its hard to put much thought into it. Its either do or don't.  Many homeowners just want grass for easy maintenance.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 01:25:08 AM »
I wonder WHY people will buy a property with fruit trees on it if they intend to chop them. Beside the cost of removal, stump grinding, and possibility of damage to underground services, don't get it. I wouldn't buy a lot with trees I had no intention of keeping unless it was to replace them with fruit trees :-)

I had a house in the 80's with a beautiful Peach Mango on it. When I visited it not only did they remove the tree, they removed the cement koi pond I built in the atrium.

So you all know, in Broward county (so. Fla) you cannot generally remove any tree without replacing it.
Regards,

Gary

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »
Chopping a tree may hurt someone. Seeing our planted trees be ripped out will badly hurt.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
Only one word to describe him - dumbass

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:14:53 AM »
That's profoundly sad for fruit-tree-lovers like us.  For me they're not only sensible and practical, but beautiful, as well.  And they're our "kids."  The new owners must have had nightmare visions of hundreds of rats!
John

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 01:58:15 PM »
    Ed

I had the exact same thing happen at my second house. I had spent much time collecting citrus,avocados and many rare fruit trees in the yard. Because of employment reasons I had to sell my house and move out of state. Eventually I moved back and drove past my old house and was sick by what the new owners did. They removed every fruit tree which I couldn't understand but the  realized that it was their property now. I just will never understand someone who doesn't enjoy being able to walk around the yard and picking fresh fruit off their trees. But hey to each their own I guess.

William

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »
Ed
That is very sad but there are laws against spying. I don't know about Florida but in California if you fly a drone near my property, not saying you did that , and film that's consider spying and trespassing.....Florida lawyers might want to chime in

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:38:03 PM »
He said he used google earth.

Some people just like paying for sub par grocery store produce it seems.
Brad Spaugh

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
So this week I was assigned To Work in the Jacksonville office , I took my family with me and decided to have a look at our old house, Sadly the new owners ripped out every single fruit tree, Banana tree I ever planted there 😳

That was a sad site to see, my Girls couldn't Belive it ..
Even the Citrus trees I planted ..

I went to google earth to see the rear of the house and they also removed the trees in the rear .

I had planted trees on both sides , rear and front of the house ..
That is crazy ..

Haha different strokes for different folks the new owner probably thought the old owner was just as crazy :)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 04:38:39 PM »

How do you know how current the Google Earth image is?
GE image of my house, shows a car in the neighbors driveway that hasn't been there for 2.5+ years. Street view image is from 2014, but cant find anything saying when in overhead is from.

Maybe the former owners of your new place drive by and cant believe you are filling up that wide open yard with trees.  ;D

DM

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »
There is a date on the Google earth images. They also have a function now where you can go back through the years to previous images.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 06:43:15 PM »

How do you know how current the Google Earth image is?
GE image of my house, shows a car in the neighbors driveway that hasn't been there for 2.5+ years. Street view image is from 2014, but cant find anything saying when in overhead is from.

Maybe the former owners of your new place drive by and cant believe you are filling up that wide open yard with trees.  ;D

DM

Haaaaa It's a newly constructed home but I get your drift 😉
Zone 10

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
The image is current cause I installed the small concrete pad in the rear of my house for my potted plants , I use to like having an early breakfast and look out the kitchen French doors into my tropical oasis 😊

Buy like you guys say , to each is own ..

You do make a connection with your plants and trees can't explain it but it's there ..

Ed
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk