Author Topic: Garlic and Egyptian Walking Onions  (Read 2427 times)

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
Garlic and Egyptian Walking Onions
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
southern end of 9b in south Florida:

Is anyone growing garlic or walking onions successfully in 9b or warmer? I have tried a couple of times, but had very little success. I am wondering if I should keep trying or give up. I see Territorial Seeds has two garlic varieties from Viet Nam and wonder if those might be more tropical. When I grew the walking onions, they all died in the summer.

If anyone is growing these successfully, please share your story.

Erica

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic and Egyptian Walking Onions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:11:23 AM »
First year having Walking onions, I am in middle Italy that should be 9b or little lower.
They shouldn't have any issue with the hot summer, they are very very rough plants that grow in any  conditions. I put even some in some super dry soil where usually weeds appear hoping to fill the place and they are growing, slowly but growing.
Did you plant them too early or too late? I noticed when first transplanted they can be very delicate, got several die due to unknown reasons( maybe cold or too much water?) since I planted them end of winter, so try planting them in a mild weather so that they have time to establish.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:59 PM »
I grew Egyptian walking onions without incident.  I didn't care for them, however.  I'm interested in potato onions

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I got my walking onions from Nullzero. They grow fine but I don't know what to use them for. Elephant garlic on the other hand died for me. I got many bulbs of that from Patrick in San Diego.