Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283577 times)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #650 on: June 07, 2019, 10:18:03 PM »
anyone else with a honey kiss know when it'll ripen?

When I got mine a couple years back I was told it is a very late season mango. Mine has good fruit set this year but no signs of ready as of yet. From my understanding August, September and possibly October if you are lucky with some late fruit hanging on. By then my pickering, PPK, Fairchild and CC will be done with fruit will be nice to know one tree will possibly hold late.

good to know, mine is still small and it's the first year fruiting so I'm not sure what to expect. The fruit is small and already has some red on it

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 09, 2019, 09:19:59 PM »

Recently I fell in love with this Sein Ta Lone mango from Myanmar. The flesh is non-fibrous and juicy, with bold flavours.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 09, 2019, 09:28:06 PM »

Recently I fell in love with this Sein Ta Lone mango from Myanmar. The flesh is non-fibrous and juicy, with bold flavours.

Would you liken the flavor to any other mango, fruit, or aromatic foodstuff?

I'm curious, as we have known for years that this is the most famous mango from the region that developed Pyo Pyu Kalay, but we have noone in the west to formally describe the flavor/aroma profile of this particular mango.

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2019, 03:10:27 AM »

Would you liken the flavor to any other mango, fruit, or aromatic foodstuff?

I'm curious, as we have known for years that this is the most famous mango from the region that developed Pyo Pyu Kalay, but we have noone in the west to formally describe the flavor/aroma profile of this particular mango.

If I were to try really hard to make a comparison, Alphonso will be the closest? However, it wins hands fown due to its non-fibrous flesh that is very juicy. The sweetness is unlike thai honey mango, as I felt that it is slightly more acidic in taste. When ripe, the flesh doesn't turn mushy like some mangoes, for eg, thai rainbow mango.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2019, 07:57:22 AM »
Our Sein ta Lone is fruiting this year. Looking forward to trying it.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 11, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
Last week was at Zill’s and bought some mangos.....on the floor next to bins was a bucket of green kathy’s And the lady behind the counter said they were free because they were picked too green...kicking myself now because I took only one! 🙈 I’ve never tried this one before and it was pretty green but it ripened up and was delish. The fruit was soft to the touch with some give, yellow with greenish tinge and splotches, hardly fragrant. When I halved the mango I noticed the flesh to be golden yellow with some thin juice covering adhering to flesh. The flesh was totally fiberless and melting and smooth like a cushman or dot mango. The flavor seemed like a cross between cushman and Fairchild honeydew resin. The seed is polyembryonic.

-Joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2019, 08:50:33 AM »
Thanks! First I’ve heard of Kathy as poly.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 12, 2019, 02:34:05 PM »
Thanks for appreciating, I try to provide as much objective info as possible with pics and seed info at a minimum so as reference to those who live far from Zill’s and otherwise little seems to be known. 👍

-Joep450

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #658 on: June 13, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »

We tried Sein Ta Lone yesterday. Very good mango. Flavor group is Indochinese hybrid, ala Dupuis Saigon, Fairchild , Venus, Cac etc
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 08:47:59 AM by Squam256 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 13, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

Oh the glorious Pickering mango!  It's hard to believe it was just a random seedling.  Thank you, Walter Zill.  Mine are very sweet, very juicy, and very coconutty this year.  Disease-free and the perfect little tree.  For ALL of its qualities, it must rank near the top.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:12:34 AM by johnb51 »
John

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 13, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
Lady's Choice.
My first ripe mango grown in 9B.
Fruit was pretty clean. Did smell that intense resin scent in the sap when picked. Supposedly an improved version of East Indian mango. No sap burn/rot to the skin observed even after two days of counter top ripening. Milder taste of the resin in the ripe flesh but definitely less fiber- equivalent to than of the Julie (imo). Didn't pick up on any extra flavors. Enjoyable.
Brix registered at 17.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 13, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »

We tried Sein Ta Lone yesterday. Very good mango. Flavor group is Indochinese hybrid, ala Dupuis Saigon, Fairchild , Venus, Cac etc

That is select company!  Thanks. Looking forward to visiting in 2 weeks...

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #662 on: June 14, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »

Oh the glorious Pickering mango!  It's hard to believe it was just a random seedling.  Thank you, Walter Zill.  Mine are very sweet, very juicy, and very coconutty this year.  Disease-free and the perfect little tree.  For ALL of its qualities, it must rank near the top.

Had my first Pickering today. I may take some heat, but I think it’s my favorite ever. Wow, was it good.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 15, 2019, 11:01:09 AM »

Had my first Pickering today. I may take some heat, but I think it’s my favorite ever. Wow, was it good.

No heat. It’s s great mango, especially when you let it go a little.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »

Totally agree. Not only is the fruit just as tasty as any other and that includes the Zill varieties, the tree is excellent in every way - small and compact, very productive, disease free.  And yeah, I "let it go a little".  :D

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:45:36 AM by Mark in Texas »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »

On of my favorites!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:40:01 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »
Tried 4 mangos from my assorted box from Mangomen. The first to ripen were Kryptonite, Fairchild, Maha, and CC. I can say this that season is much better than last years washed out season in my opinion. Of the 4 Mangos I tried today, Kryptonite left them all in the dust!

-CC is just sweet coconut if that's what you're into it

-Maha tasted similar to other Asian Mangos like Nam Dac Mai but with it's own twist of complexity to add to it's sweetness (concentrated honey sweet nam Doc mai is much better IMO)

-Fairchild...average sweet tasting mango with a mild resin flavor

-Kryptonite!!! Easily a top tier Mango in my opinion. I put up it there with LZ and Sweet Tart which are my favorite. This Mango has a delicious sugary sweet flavor with a much milder tart kick than the infamous "Sweet Tart"...reminds me of a sweet tart light except this variety comes with resionous/piney addition, but not over whelming like a carrie mango per say....also this is a pretty nice size mango as well....definitely a well rounded cultivar that I'll be looking to plant one day when I retire from the Navy.

Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 23, 2019, 01:15:07 AM »
Let me start off by saying I’m bit annoyed.......that I am literally out of space for another tree in my yard, just when I thought everything was in it’s rightful place growing as it should be the “P-22” a yet unnamed Zill variety comes along. This is definitely a top tier mango taste wise, probably the most memorable mango I have had this season so far. Had three to sample and one I brought to work for a mango sampling. It was up against some steep competition with Ice Cream and Fruit Punch but the cards fell P-22> Ice Cream> Fruit Punch.

The P-22 is an interesting mango as it is somewhat round but also flat with interesting protruding point at the bottom forming a beak like structure. The I tried one ripened to canary yellow and another as a soft yellowing green. The flesh was golden yellow, fiberless, with a savory/creamy consistency resembling sweet tart consistency. The taste was exquisite and complex very sweet resin upfront resembling a mix of Carey/Fairchild then a tang like bite at the end like a sweet tart. I was still tasting this mango hours later either by way of actual resin that coated my tongue or that my senses were experiencing some sort of hallucinating flashback, but dang this is a delicious mango. The seed I am unsure about as 1 was shriveled up and mostly aborted looked almost like a cashew nut then the other two kinda look poly but then possibly a squiggly like monoembryonic seeds, plan to germinate them out and see what sprouts.

-Joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 23, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »
Let me start off by saying I’m bit annoyed.......that I am literally out of space for another tree in my yard, just when I thought everything was in it’s rightful place growing as it should be the “P-22” a yet unnamed Zill variety comes along. This is definitely a top tier mango taste wise, probably the most memorable mango I have had this season so far. Had three to sample and one I brought to work for a mango sampling. It was up against some steep competition with Ice Cream and Fruit Punch but the cards fell P-22> Ice Cream> Fruit Punch.

The P-22 is an interesting mango as it is somewhat round but also flat with interesting protruding point at the bottom forming a beak like structure. The I tried one ripened to canary yellow and another as a soft yellowing green. The flesh was golden yellow, fiberless, with a savory/creamy consistency resembling sweet tart consistency. The taste was exquisite and complex very sweet resin upfront resembling a mix of Carey/Fairchild then a tang like bite at the end like a sweet tart. I was still tasting this mango hours later either by way of actual resin that coated my tongue or that my senses were experiencing some sort of hallucinating flashback, but dang this is a delicious mango. The seed I am unsure about as 1 was shriveled up and mostly aborted looked almost like a cashew nut then the other two kinda look poly but then possibly a squiggly like monoembryonic seeds, plan to germinate them out and see what sprouts.

-Joep450

Totally agree with you and glad you posted this. I had one P-22 once years ago and have been looking for more ever since.  Your review indicates me experience was no fluke.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 23, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
I got a couple P-22s and found them good but not great. That said, they were very green when I bought them.

Did yours have some color when picked (as far as you know)?

I also bought some green Pineapple Pleasures, which turned out fine, and a couple green Buttercreams, which were not very good.

In other news, I'm really glad that I was too lazy to cut down my Lemon Zest, which is infested with Bacterial Black Spot.  Somewhere between 10 and 20 percent of the fruit turned out fine this year (last year all were bad).  And the taste is so exquisite that I wonder what I ever saw in other mangos.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 23, 2019, 09:03:27 PM »
In other news, I'm really glad that I was too lazy to cut down my Lemon Zest, which is infested with Bacterial Black Spot.  Somewhere between 10 and 20 percent of the fruit turned out fine this year (last year all were bad).  And the taste is so exquisite that I wonder what I ever saw in other mangos.
Have you tasted Orange Sherbet?  If so, how does it compare to LZ or PPK?
John

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 23, 2019, 11:29:22 PM »
Mangomandan- The P-22’s I got were a lighter shade of green but not yellowing green, if that makes any sense. Agree with your take on LZ, I planted a tree at my moms house years ago, it’s now around 20ft tall (she doesn’t prune it) and produced all clean mangos though she doesn’t spray. Also heard Har talking to a client at truly tropical the other day on this subject whereas having BBS doesn’t necessarily mean cutting the tree down as you can still get great mangos, just need more supervision and culling of diseased fruits/limbs early and up spray program. IMO I prefer LZ to PPk because larger size, chalkier creaminess texture and more intense flavor, also prefer it over Orange sherbet. Orange sherbet has a silkier gelatinous texture more on par with NDM and lacks that LZ savory chalkiness cream texture whereas OS is cleaner tree in regards to less BBS there is more potential for jelly seed vs LZ. I am growing BOTH, there was a period where Zills was not going to propagate the LZ anymore because of BBS susceptibility and heard reports of others cutting their trees down so I went out and bought an OS as closest of kin (ha) ....then later I picked up a 7 gall LZ from mike a trees n more, his last one, and planted that too.

-joep450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: June 24, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
the taste is so exquisite that I wonder what I ever saw in other mangos.

Worth repeating!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 24, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
the taste is so exquisite that I wonder what I ever saw in other mangos.

Worth repeating!
I found that to be the case with PPK. I haven’t eaten many LZs.
John

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: June 24, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »

Have you tasted Orange Sherbet?  If so, how does it compare to LZ or PPK?

I would describe Orange Sherbet as an Orange Flavored PPK. They are very similar in taste, but where the PPK tastes like a lemon meringue pie when properly ripe, the Orange Sherbet tastes like someone swapped the lemons with a very sweet orange.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango