Author Topic: Corona Avocado  (Read 8741 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Corona Avocado
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
I subscribe to a couple avocado of the month clubs, avocadodiva and avocadoofthemonthclub, and a few days ago got a box from the latter. It contained Hass and "Corona". The Corona was wonderful. All the nuttiness of the hass with a bit of the florida avocado wateriness that made it fresh. Think of all the hass flavor with less fat. The flesh was firmer. Fruit the size of a largish Hass. I've had two and the seed from the first was bigger than hass and from the second smaller.

I did a search for "Corona Avocado" and can't find mention of it. Lots of stuff about shears, packing houses and the town.

Anyone heard of it? Perhaps its a ripoff of some other avocado?

pic coming of hass on left and corona on right, fully ripe.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:07:33 AM by shaneatwell »
Shane

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Avocado
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
it's listed in www.avocadosource.com

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
Funny. I had looked there and didn't see it in the list, but if you search it is. Thanks.

Rated as only "good". I disagree. I'd rate it as excellent. First time I've eaten an avocado w/o any dressing/salt or anything and wanted to just sit and eat 2 more.

I also note that the fruit are early, but that could easily be different orchard locations or just the weather this year.

(Guat.) Regist. 1944 Originated on Corona del Mar Ranch near Goleta, CA. Fruit season, June-July, Color, green. Shape, oval. Weight, 7 ozs. Skin, smooth, peels. Flavor, good. Oil 23.83%. Seed, 3/4 oz. Keeping quality good (CAS Yearbook 1950) Orig. in Goleta, CA, by J.E. Coit of the Thomas B. Bishop Co., Corona del Mar Rancho. Introd. in 1950. Parentage unknown; discovered in 1944. Fruit: skin green, quite smooth, peels easily; oval; weight averages 7 oz; seed weight 3/4 oz; flavor good, oil content 23.8%; keeping quality good; season June and July. Tree: moderately spreading. Planted in dooryards in CA. (B&O Register). Origin, CA, Race, Guat.; Flower, A (Lahav & Gazit)
Shane

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
That Corona looks bigger than 7 oz? Is it?
Is any body growing it now?
Can you post a picture of the fruit opened? Thanks

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
First two were probably 8-9 oz, remaining two are 8.5 and 10.6 oz measured. So, probably 9 oz average. Will post pics of insides tonight when we eat another.

Hass on top, Corona below. Notice the light green tinge w/o any orange.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:51:31 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
Looks great!

Shane, I've been buying mail order for a few years from here - http://www.morrocreekranch.com/content.php?content_id=1  Not only is the quality excellent but the price very reasonable compared to others.  Just ordered 18/$30.  That's $1.67 each shipped, no tax.  If I had to guess they are about 8 oz.  Being the research freak that I am I did a search of mail order avocados and they are outrageous, most selling only Hass.  Found a site yesterday after reading this thread and they wanted an average of $7.66 for ONE Reed, prepay now for fall shipment.

If you average out the 12 month plan of avocadoofthemonthclub.com at a cost of $500, 72 lbs., each 9 oz avocado costs $3.91 each.  Arrrgghhhhhhhh.......   ::) There's gotta be a better way!  (Yes, I'm trying hard to beat the system by growing my own trees which includes Reed).
http://www.avocadoofthemonthclub.com/6_Pound_Avocado_Memberships_s/24.htm

Suggests the world is consuming a helluva lot of guac!  :o
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:32:15 AM by Mark in Texas »

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'm paying through the nose to try different varieties, but seems cheaper to me than buying or grafting them and waiting years for my own fruit. Corona wasn't even on my watch list and I'd like to graft it now. Also have Sir Prize lined up to taste in a couple days.

Sitting there comparing Hass and Corona I realized that my mouth has some kind of mild allergic reaction to Hass but not corona. Mouth gets all tingly and thats one of the reasons I can't eat more than one Hass at a time. I've noticed it in the past but never made much of it.
Shane

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Sitting there comparing Hass and Corona I realized that my mouth has some kind of mild allergic reaction to Hass but not corona. Mouth gets all tingly and thats one of the reasons I can't eat more than one Hass at a time. I've noticed it in the past but never made much of it.

I wonder if that has something to do with Guatemalan vs. Mexican type.

The Mexican leaves are not toxic.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
I'll pay attention to that and see if it correlates. I thought it was the reverse though, that pure mexican was the only non-toxic leaves.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
For what its worth I compared Corona to Sir Prize tonight. Sir Prize had a similar nuttiness + wateriness as the Corona, but also the itchiness of Hass (in my mouth). According to the flyer in my box, Sir prize is the "best of the hass type avocadoes". For me it was worse than Corona. My wife didn't like the Sir Prize at all. Does have a much smaller pit though.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
I watched this video of Julie Frink's and was hoping to hear about Corona. No such luck. (BTW she answers the year round avocado question @ 57:05. Reed/Holiday + Pinkerton + Sharwil)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7OAmGRQ8OE

But it did inspire me to go looking for 'Corona' again. I did find some info in old yearbooks.

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_33_1948/CAS_1948_PG_12-14.pdf
Corona: Originated at Goleta; season June and July; fruit, green, oval, 6 to 10 oz.;
flavor, good.

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_34_1949/CAS_1949_PG_013-017.pdf
CORONA—A Guatemalan originating at Goleta. The fruit is green; shape, oval; weight,
6 to 8 oz.; seed, medium; oil content, high; season, June-July; flavor, good; frost
resistance, not determined. This variety is being propagated for distribution and trial in
several areas. It is more likely to succeed in a coastal area.

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbooks/CAS_43_1959/CAS_1959_PG_33-35.pdf
Of the newer varieties, still considered experimental, the Corona is a leading contender
for the early summer market, mainly because of its heavy, consistent yields.

http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/Com_Ag/Subtropical/Avocado_Handbook/Harvesting/When_to_pick_avocados_/
Corona   June - August   Green

There's got to be some old-timers out there who know where it is. Anyone?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 09:54:01 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 11:24:05 PM »
I would think that if any body has this avocado then it would be Julie F. @ South Coast Research station. Let us know if you find that variety I would like to get some scion wood of that one from your description. 8)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 11:39:06 PM »
Avocado of the Month Club is located in central coast California.

I wonder how many Corona trees there are.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »
Thanks. Ive emailed them and g bender. Havent found contact info on julie fink but im sure an opportunity will come up to ask her.
Shane

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
A good time to talk with Julie F. will be coming up in Jan. @ Orange County Chapter of CRFG scion exchange sometime in Jan. ;)

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
Robert...contact Norm, I'll share cost and we will take care of Shane.  Cannot do it from down here in Mexico.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »
Jack, contacted Norm today by phone he never heard of it he said to look at Brokaw but they don't have it either? I told him to keep it in mind and to contact me if he hears of someone having it,bummer :-[

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
Thank you both! I'll watch this thread and let you know if I find anything.
Shane

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
...BTW she answers the year round avocado question @ 57:05. Reed/Holiday + Pinkerton + Sharwil...

Wow, only 4 varieties for year 'round avocado in California! If that's accurate, they could fit in just one Avocado Cocktail Tree.

Here in Florida, we have 11 months out of 12 with avocados. Once we're able to find an avocado fruit tree variety that produces ripe fruit in the month of April, we'll be on par for year 'round avocado with the State of California, USA.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »

Wow, only 4 varieties for year 'round avocado in California! If that's accurate, they could fit in just one Avocado Cocktail Tree.

Here in Florida, we have 11 months out of 12 with avocados. Once we're able to find an avocado fruit tree variety that produces ripe fruit in the month of April, we'll be on par for year 'round avocado with the State of California, USA.

"3" is usually the number considered for the number of varieties for year around avocados in Southern California.

Julie said; Reed or Holiday + Pinkerton + Sharwil.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:35:21 PM by ricshaw »

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »
And part of the reason it works out I think is that one of them (Sharwil?), you can store the fruit on for some crazy long time like 18mos.
Shane

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 12:28:33 AM »
And part of the reason it works out I think is that one of them (Sharwil?), you can store the fruit on for some crazy long time like 18mos.

???  ::)

The reason it works for me is you can leave the fruit on the tree and pick it when needed.  It is different "rules" for commercial growers.

Did you catch Julie's comment, while holding a Holiday avocado, about she picked the fruit after 2 years?

When Julie made the "Reed or Holiday + Pinkerton + Sharwil" recommendation she said; the first for Fall, the Pinkerton; March -> August, and the Sharwil to fill in January & February.  Of course it can make a difference where you live.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:30:58 AM by ricshaw »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:08 PM »

That is sweet! 3 avocado varieties for year round avocado, way to go you guys/gals in California.

Those 3 avocado varieties for year round avocados in California will simply/easily fit into a single, 3 'cado cocktail tree, wow!

I wish we could do a 3 variety avocado cocktail tree for year round avocados in South Florida.

Instead, it takes approximately 5 avocado varieties in order to have year round avocados in South Florida, these are the 5 varieties:
1   Monroe (Dec. - Jan.)
2   Kampong (Feb. - May) *
3   Simmonds (June - Aug.)
4   Bacon (Sept. - Oct.)
5   Oro Negro (Nov.)
The above list was obtained from a similar list on the Thread with this link: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4915.425

*   The production on the Kampong has been mentioned/observed to vary somewhat year to year, so that there may be a fruit 'hole' for year round avocados, especially in the month of April.

5 avocado varieties would be too much to fit into one cocktail tree. They'll probably fit better in two separate cocktail trees.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
I just wanted to correct what Ricshaw said so anyone reading this thread would have the correct information.  Julie said Reed or Holiday for fall, Pinkerton or Fuerte for Jan-Feb and Sharwil for March-August.

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
I just wanted to correct what Ricshaw said so anyone reading this thread would have the correct information.  Julie said Reed or Holiday for fall, Pinkerton or Fuerte for Jan-Feb and Sharwil for March-August.

Bill

Bill, there are lot of combinations for year-round avocado in SoCal. My favorite combo:  Pickering Fuerte and Ismael from January to April.
Hass , lamb Hass and San Jose May to August. Holiday, Sir Prize and Tundy September to December. There you can sample all the races. Btw, I would never grow a Fuerte, San Jose and Tundy because they can reach 25' rather quickly but if you have acreage go for it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk