Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Changsha mandarin opinions  (Read 1337 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Changsha mandarin opinions
« on: October 21, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
Hi,
I'd like to hear some opinions on the changsha mandarin. Finally I got my hands on a plant and I'm thinking about grafting it on poncirus. But I haven't decided yet if it will be used as ornamental tree or fruit producer. I'd love to hear what people think about it.
My zone is too cold for high quality citrus so I'm forced to use the more hardy ones.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade to get the following mango scions: Florigon/Rosa/Francis Hargrave. Avocado: Mexicola. Contact me in PM if interested.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Changsha mandarin opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
Is your plant grown from seed or cutting or grafted? A seedling will need to grow tall before it blooms. Changsha fruit is small and full of seeds but supposed to be good. You can see photos of the fruit on internet. I lost a grafted changsha on FD two years ago d/t cold even with protection, but my seedling survived last winter with two nights of 0 degrees F and below freezing all of January inside plastic dome with small desk-type space heater plugged into a "thermo cube" to regulate temperature and a large plastic barrel of water against tree. 

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:53:12 AM »
It's a grafted plant, grafted on alemow. My temperature luckily aren't brutal as yours, so i hope to be able to grow it outside. On very bad years we can get 14F (and even lower on historical data) but they are, as i said, pretty exceptional occurrence.
I did fear it to be bland; seeds don't worry me much, there's a plenty of good seeded citrus that i wouldn't mind to grow.  Thank you for your help and valuable data!
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade to get the following mango scions: Florigon/Rosa/Francis Hargrave. Avocado: Mexicola. Contact me in PM if interested.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 02:11:57 AM »
From what I've read, they are sweet and good flavor but a little bland. One person said the ones he grew had a slightly skunky smell inside. But overall not so different from regular mandarins.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers