Author Topic: just wanted to say thank you to millet  (Read 1850 times)

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
just wanted to say thank you to millet
« on: December 12, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
when I started out this journey 8 years ago I had no idea what I was doing.  I had something of a green thumb, but citrus definitely wasn't my thing.  armed with nothing but a computer, I started looking.  I came across a few websites, a few more forums(ubc and citrus growers), and plenty of people willing to help.  if it hadn't been for all those people telling me that my satsumas would get better in time, I think id had given up a long time ago.  this year it all came to fruition, I finally have a wonderfully sweet Satsuma that I cant get enough of.  I cant give them away fast enough, I have neighbors stealing them, and people actually willing to buy them.  I guess that is what I always wanted from all my trees.  so I would like to thank Millet and Laaz, and everyone that ever made it possible for me to get where I am today.  certainly things aren't all peachy, I have 4 trees producing, 4 more growing, I have citrus canker all around me, and inevitably greening will show its ugly face one day.  its costing me more and more to take care of them, which is why I have no problem selling a few fruit, but over all I think I can handle anything that's thrown at me.  its so much so that earlier this year, I took responsibilities over a small not for profit grove(catholic charity) that hadn't been cared for since it was planted 4 years ago.  the main reason I did it was to make sure that canker or greening didn't show up and that the owners were aware of everything that could happen.  it was more self serving than anything, but its becoming so much more. I started a facebook page, im trying to get people involved in stopping these diseases locally, I have a long long way to go, but if I can save one persons tree, I feel like its worth it.  anyway, I feel I might be ranting, again thank you Millet for all that you do for all of us out here trying to learn about citrus.

red
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

swimmingfree

• muskegon mi...
    • View Profile
Re: just wanted to say thank you to millet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
all i have to say is this form has help me out a lot with info and some good reading ...
thank you all ...........
swimmingfree

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
I second this.  Not only on these forums but when researching things I often find Millet's comments in other places, especially on container growing.  If it wasn't for his advice we would probably all be growing citrus in terrible soil and containers, trying to fix drainage issues by witholding water, or overwatering trees that are simply too cold, etc.  I think greenhouse and container culture will become even more important if greening can't be stopped.

Millet, if you haven't written a book yet you probably should.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Yes I agree with all the praise for Millet and I think he should write a book too ! Tom

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »
Ditto - thanks for caring and sharing!

Merry Christmas,
Mark

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Such nice comments, written by very nice and careing people.  A good citrus forum takes a lot of people not just one or two people.  Merry Christmas and a wonderful New year. - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk