Author Topic: Severely Wind Whipped Lychee Tree  (Read 2960 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Severely Wind Whipped Lychee Tree
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Hello Friends,

We folks out here in Southern California have recently experienced some pretty severe wind storms for our area.  As a result, my Lychee trees took a beating.  All of the new leafy vegetative growth was wind whipped to hell and back.  All of the new leaves, at least the ones that were spared, are extremely tattered and wind burned.  In fact, there are just miniscule remnances of the leaves. 

Should I prune off all of the wind damaged growth to try and stimulate new growth, or just let them be?  They had all just flushed a huge amount of new leaves and they were all severely damaged and basically stripped.  What is the best course of action?

Thanks,

Jacob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Severely Wind Whipped Lychee Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »
To quote the famous song......Let it be, let it be!  If the leaves are meant to drop they will.  If not, they will continue to make food for the plant.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Severely Wind Whipped Lychee Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
I agree with Harry.  My Lychees, especially my smaller trees in containers that I had outside are almost completely defoliated.  I took them inside a little over a month ago and placed them in my garage under some T5 lights and I'm starting to see some new growth.  My Kaimana is actually starting to flower.  If your trees are small, you may want to consider growing them inside a greenhouse or building some sort of shelter for it untill it gains some size.  My larger Sweetheart tree has enough of a canopy to protect the inner foliage and although it did loose a lot of leaves, it is still doing ok.
Simon