Author Topic: Growing apples in warmer climates. Has anyone tried this?  (Read 17918 times)

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
Growing apples in warmer climates. Has anyone tried this?
« on: December 02, 2015, 02:05:26 AM »
Grandmotherbear opened her post in 'Apples Anyone' June 14 with:

"Hello to all apple lovers, especially you fellow Floridians. I am just northwest of Lake Okeechobee and I wanted to share with you a wonderful website I discovered  about 6-7 years ago. www.kuffelcreek.com He grows apples in the tropics - he himself started out growing them in California, and for years he had a picture of his backyard full of fruiting apple trees and the thermometer at 113. You read his explanation of chill hours and it turns out that what chill hours do is synchronize bloom, fruit set and harvest.  Important if you're a commercial grower, less important if you just want apples whenever the tree provides them. He says in the hot zones you can have bloom, ripe fruit, and green fruit all on the tree at the same time..."

I have always wanted to grow apples but, living in a sub-tropical climate I have always thought that this was out of reach. Whilst I knew that there were some apple varieties that may be grown in warmer climates, I had my eyes opened by the Kuffelcreek website.

I invested in the book 'Growing Apples in the Tropics' and ordered two low chill varieties, Anna  and Tropical Sweet. I was so encouraged by my success when these two trees that I planted two varieties that require more chill, Granny Smith and Royal Gala. All my trees are on dwarfing rootstock.

My first two trees presented me with a small harvest this year but big enough for me to be encouraged and I am looking forward to seeing how the two new trees fare.

So I wonder if there are others living in a similar climate have tried the same process as outlined in the book and how it worked for them.

Mick

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Growing apples in warmer climates. Has anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »
I am in Orlando and I grow Anna, Tropic Sweet, and EnSheimer(sp). The Anna after three years might produce a fruit or two and the EnShimer has produced one or two in the last two years. The Tropic Sweet has not. All are steadily growing, in fact I will need to prune the hell out of them this winter.

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 07:26:14 AM »
Hey Tropheus,

I have just the Anna and the Tropical Sweet, both in their first year and both fruited this year. I live in a subtropical climate.

In Kuffel Creek's web site is a basic outline of what can be done with low and higher chill variety apples in hotter climates and it seems to be working for me. I have yet to pick the last of the Tropic Sweet and it is already setting a second crop with plenty of time for them to ripen,

Mick

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:07 AM »
I know Dorsett Golden sets fruit in the Florida Keys with no chill hours.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
My DG is actually flowering at the moment...very pretty flowers!

Too small to hold fruit though.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:14:33 AM »

I can't believe you are wasting time growing apples...
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »

In a few years, when I have my apple tastings, you, BSBullie, will not be invited  ::) >:( ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »

In a few years, when I have my apple tastings, you, BSBullie, will not be invited  ::) >:( ;)

An apple tasting of one variety?

Will I be invited when in less than a few years, you are digging it up, dead or alive, to replace with a more worthy tree?
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:15:05 PM »

An apple tasting of one variety?

Will I be invited when in less than a few years, you are digging it up, dead or alive, to replace with a more worthy tree?

Have more than 1 variety, but yes, you are invited if and when I remove it--there's a method to the madness, as now there will be a few extra spots ina  few years when the cold-hardy, high ph mangosteen,  Blue-raspberry and Electric Strawberry mangoes are available!
~Jeff

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »
Not sure why the negativity from bsbullie, the Dorsett Golden originated on a more southern island in my country than mine and was most certainly developed in tropical conditions. We do not get chill in The Bahamas yet it fruits fine, not sure what makes it "unworthy".

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
Not sure why the negativity from bsbullie, the Dorsett Golden originated on a more southern island in my country than mine and was most certainly developed in tropical conditions. We do not get chill in The Bahamas yet it fruits fine, not sure what makes it "unworthy".

Rob is just giving me a hard time because he wants me to plant out my entire yard with Carrie mango trees.   :P :P :P ::) ;) What has been your experience in terms of flavor? (Not compared to Washington apples, but compared to whether you like eating them or not)

If it fruits well, at the very least, I will make hard cider, apple juice, or even jam or applesauce.  Time will tell though.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 01:09:03 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
Oh ok, well at least he has a reasonable goal behind his actions. I have not tasted the DG personally, my precalculus lecturer from college has it in her backyard and enjoys the taste so I don't imagine it being one of the mushy sort.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 07:31:28 AM »
Yes, for the most part giving Jeff a hard time.  I grew up in SE Pennsylvania walking through my friends parents and other apple orchards where the majority of what was grown were heirloom varieties.   Varieties that tasted great.  Most apples varieties available these days suck, and that is led by Red and Gold Delicious,  Fuji,  Gala, etc.  I have tasted Dorsett Golden and my opinion is it is not worthy of growing,  no matter how much space i have.  Some fruits are better left for other regions.  This is just my opinion and not forcing it on snyone but will share if asked.  If you enjoy DG, thats great and there is nothing wrong with it.  Thats why there is vanilla and chocolate.   
- Rob

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »
I have three apple trees, a Honeycrisp, Gala, and Pixie Crunch, that I planted this last spring and I'm in San Diego.  The Gala produced 6 apples this year, admittedly they were all very small, but they ripened nicely and were very tasty.  We had a very hot Sept/Oct, but the Gala and Pixie Crunch grew quickly.  The Honeycrisp is growing, but not at the rate that the other two trees are, but I believe the M111 rootstock is a slow grower (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Hopefully next year I'll have more fruit.

As a note, my local Home Depot is selling bare root Honeycrisp trees for $17, that's half what I paid this spring to ship one out! 
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »
So anyone don here in FL, have your apples even dropped their leaves yet? I have new growth on one of mine already. Was considering removing the leaves since they are all looking ragged having not lost them last year either.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
i read an article about growing apples in the tropics, what they did was take an apple tree from a northern country and when the apple trees went dormant in the winter the trees were sent to a tropical location that never got cold, when the apple trees were planted they grew just like they would in spring and started producing like normal but since there never was a temperature change the apples never went back dormant after fruiting and ended up producing 3-4 crops of apples a year growing great. so almost any apple tree could be grown in warm climates.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
i read an article about growing apples in the tropics, what they did was take an apple tree from a northern country and when the apple trees went dormant in the winter the trees were sent to a tropical location that never got cold, when the apple trees were planted they grew just like they would in spring and started producing like normal but since there never was a temperature change the apples never went back dormant after fruiting and ended up producing 3-4 crops of apples a year growing great. so almost any apple tree could be grown in warm climates.

Would like to see that article.   I have trouble believing it was that simple and productive.   Did it mention all the disease and pest issues and how much spraying/care it required?  That is a najor ussue in this area.
- Rob

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »
I saw the article in the tropical fruit forum about 2 years ago and haven't been able to find it, its on there somewhere, when i find it i'll post it here.  it was a great article, i believe it talked about the pests and the methods they used but i really don't remember the whole thing, just the basis of it. It took place in the tropics with not much temp change so im not sure if the same thing could be done in the sub tropics, but who knows. Im going to keep trying to find the article, it was cool.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »

We had a bit of a funny summer this year and June/July seemed cooler than normal. My Gala tree set out a few small bunches of flowers, but for whatever reason, they dried up and dropped.  August/September/October made up for it heat-wise and another set of flowers bloomed and they actually set some fruit.  Weird weather this year!
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Apologies - I have also been reading up on apple growing in the tropics eversince I was a teen.

Some of the things I had saved as bookmarks:
http://forums.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/threads/apples-in-tropics.22051/

This one is Kuffel Creek:
http://www.permaculturevoices.com/growing-apples-in-warm-climates-pvp097/

There is a study done in Ethiopia:
https://biblio.ugent.be/publication/834379/file/6824804

I can no longer find one done in the Emirates(!) of all places. Will prob stumble on it on some other zip files and will update if so.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 10:38:38 PM by DimplesLee »
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 12:50:30 AM »
Has anyone tried the Kuffel Creek process of leaf stripping and modifying branch angle to horizontal?

Mick

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
striping leaves forces a bloom on DG. I got 3 little fruit hanging on a tree with 0 chill hours by striping all the leaves off the little tree.

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 05:35:36 AM »
StrIpped the leaves from my Anna and Tropical Sweet apple trees just after New Year to see how things work. Today, both trees produced their first flowers. I harvested their first crops at Christmas and have plenty of time to ripen any fruit that might set this time.

Mick

Grandmotherbear

• South Central and Southeast FL zones 10/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Injured my back in Sept 2015 & haven't been able to work in the garden, so have been avoiding all my former gardening sites, including this one. But with a good pain control doc (lidoderm patches are wonderful!)- a weekly therapeutic massage and non invasive laser therapy I find myself able to cook at least 2 meals a day now- after eating fastfood and chinese carryout for 7 months I am thrilled!
Have gotten apples from King David, Arkansas Black, Williams Pride, Terry Winter Keeper. Currently have small apples or bloom on Victoria Limbertwig, Summer Champion,  Dorset Gold. I lost one Williams Pride & 1 King David to disease after cutting suckers beneath the soil level. From now on will cut suckers above ground and apply iodine or gentian violet to the stump.
AND I gound a new website dedicated to heirloom antique Southern apples! It is www.bighorsecreekfarm.com. Their mission is to propagate those apples nearing extinction. They have a "cold" weather and "warm" weather list, and much good information about the various requirements and characteristics of each variety.

Grandmotherbear

• South Central and Southeast FL zones 10/11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
I am currently thinking about adding a Dolgo Crab to my orchard as it has large crabapples and an extended bloom time. Right now I have about a dozen apples in 45-55 gallon pots in my front yard facing the lake. Trying to rember all the varieties but not sure of it- 2 pound sweets,2 golden grimes, 2Reverend Morgans (developesd in hot Texas) 2 brogdens (developed in hot Alabama) and a 3 in one-Anna, Dorset Gold, Fuji. Need to net them Up to keep the sqourrells off-they are taking a bite and leaving the ruined fruit behind. Also have low chill peaches, an olive, 2 mulberries, and 3 figs & avocado, plus multiple pineapples and yacon growing mostly in pots.