Author Topic: Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia?  (Read 95482 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Rheedia/Garcinia?
« Reply #275 on: June 05, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »
limoncillo

Correct Gunnar , the trees are in an small area where other plants ( now legal in certain US states )  are also grown , so bring a bullet proof jacket if you are planning to visit .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
limoncillo

Correct Gunnar , the trees are in an small area where other plants ( now legal in certain US states )  are also grown , so bring a bullet proof jacket if you are planning to visit .

Wow Luc, your hero member status just took on a whole new meaning! Really going the extra mile to spread the good rare fruit far and wide . Would love hear about your limoncello expeditions, perhaps a different time and place. Much respect and safe travels.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
limoncillo

Wow Luc, your hero member status just took on a whole new meaning! Really going the extra mile to spread the good rare fruit far and wide . Would love hear about your limoncello expeditions, perhaps a different time and place. Much respect and safe travels.

you said it perfectly!

Respect Luc!

He treads beyond enemy lines, in order to rescue rare fruit bearing hostages.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Luc you are def a tough dude, some areas down there are seriously no joke.  Btw I have had 100% germination on my 20 m. Garcinia seeds that I got from luc. Def very cool!!!!  I can't wait to try this fruit, I got a couple trees about 2-3ft high so several more years to go.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
limoncillo

you said it perfectly!

Respect Luc!

He treads beyond enemy lines, in order to rescue rare fruit bearing hostages.

Brings new meaning to living in the luxury tourist destination of Puerto Vallarta.  ;)
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2014, 10:49:58 AM »
It is not that bad , I am known as ' this crazy fruit gringo ' no threat to them ....different when they don't know you....
What I hate is that I always come back full of ticks and other pests that burry themselves under your skin , hard to get rid of and itches like hell ..
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
It is not that bad , I am known as ' this crazy fruit gringo ' no threat to them ....different when they don't know you....
What I hate is that I always come back full of ticks and other pests that burry themselves under your skin , hard to get rid of and itches like hell ..

Is this the only place in which you grow it or have you planted some elsewhere in a safer place as to avoid well, that.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »

Hope you don't have lyme's disease in your area? I've heard that taking a capsule of powdered sulphur will keep ticks from biting.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
i hope your legs don't look like branches of jaboticaba with ripe fruits!

ticks are the worst!!  I still have a bump where I pulled one out....I guess he lost his head, and I got to keep it.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #284 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
Luc,

after a recent hunt for native Asimina sp, I feel your pain about the ticks....I pulled a nice one off my inner thigh.  Man I hate ticks...makes me want to never go in the woods again...but I'm off on another hunt soon, before its too late (already too late I'm guessing to find fruits).

and btw, what do we gotta do to get this name official?  It's always funny to me when I google search Garcinia vleerackerii, and see that it has a few results other than my initial post.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 24, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
This may be a stupid question. Did you wear shorts? I hate ticks and of any insect they scare me. I don't freak out at spiders or mantids but ticks means lyme disease. I wear long jeans and tuck the ends into thick socks. I look like an idiot, but haven't found a tick eating me. :) I hope that you found some good pawpaws, I plan to make a posting on a couple I found.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #286 on: August 24, 2014, 09:10:38 PM »
This may be a stupid question. Did you wear shorts? I hate ticks and of any insect they scare me. I don't freak out at spiders or mantids but ticks means lyme disease. I wear long jeans and tuck the ends into thick socks. I look like an idiot, but haven't found a tick eating me. :) I hope that you found some good pawpaws, I plan to make a posting on a couple I found.

ya i wore shorts like a damn amateur.. astute observation!

next time I will wear protection before diving into the bush!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #287 on: August 24, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »

Sheehan has a source for durian flavored protection... Oh, you meant the other type of bush. Can't help you there.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #288 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

Sheehan has a source for durian flavored protection... Oh, you meant the other type of bush. Can't help you there.

lol,  I have source for ghost chili flavored.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 25, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
I sort of take the opposite approach when walking in the woods to avoid ticks - flip flops, no socks, no underwear, loose baggy shorts, oversized t-shirt. I don't want anything that will make a tight spot or a fold of fabric where the ticks hide until you stop moving and then creep around. Most of the local ticks either aim for your head (behind your ears or in your hairline) or for your crotch or armpits. It all depends on which type of tick it is and how hungry it is. When I stop moving they'll start crawling and I can feel them and pick them off. Lyme's disease is no joke. Luckily I have not had it but plenty of my neighbors and friends have. Treatment and recovery took about a year, with six months or so being extremely ill. You can also dust yourself with powdered sulfur which will repel most of them and chiggers and some mosquitoes.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 25, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
Have real deal mexican luc's garcinia seeds right now. If anyone is interested you can order from seed page on my website:
http://fruitlovers.com/seedlist.html

How long did this take to fruit?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »
WOW That's Awesome, Ed  8) Thanks for sharing :)

I have a question for you guys that grow Mex. Garcinia...I have a seedling that only sprouted a leaf, is this normal?

Thanks in advance :)

This has happened to a seedling of mine and also an achairichu they didnt do to well, doesnt look like my mex one leaf will survive. Did your one leaf survive?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2015, 03:59:15 AM »
Luc,

after a recent hunt for native Asimina sp, I feel your pain about the ticks....I pulled a nice one off my inner thigh.  Man I hate ticks...makes me want to never go in the woods again...but I'm off on another hunt soon, before its too late (already too late I'm guessing to find fruits).

and btw, what do we gotta do to get this name official?  It's always funny to me when I google search Garcinia vleerackerii, and see that it has a few results other than my initial post.

Here we believe, that good glass of beer, or B vitamin complex pill befor you went to forest helps to repel ticks.  Ticks do not like something  which apears in your sweat after eating B complex vitamin.
They will jump on you but will only walk not bite.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
Ok, I read this entire 12 page thread.

I now want one of these, Luc.

How do I obtain this from you?

Also, how did your graft experiments take, Adam Other?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 02, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »
Well after almost a 5 year wait I have my first open bloom on one of my Mexican Garcinia plants! I planted seeds in August 2007! I really think it that it would have fruited sooner if I had taken better care of it! I have kept it pruned to about 36 inches tall. I am also growing it in a 5 gallon Rootmaker pot. I know when I spoke to Luc about it he said that is usually takes 7 to 8 years to fruit from seed in Mexico if I recall correctly. Also my plants went through several tough winters in Texas! Here is a photo of my first open bloom.

Ed
Apopka, Fl

Did it develop into fruit? How many times did the tree flowered.Am eager to find out

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #295 on: May 26, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
I had a feeling mine should be flowering by now (thanks Ed Self for giving me my trees, back in 2012?  they were already nice sized, maybe a foot tall?)...I've been trying to keep an eye out for flowers, but it's really hard to check the plant because it's so bushy (taking so many scions)...I guess it's about 10-12y old by now...maybe 5.5ft...I just cover it with a ton of blankets when it goes down to 30F or lower (25F for many hours this last winter).  I checked it today, and found one female flower with what appears to be a  fruit that set...but after looking close at the photos, seems the stem is shriveling...I don't expect it to hold, but it's great to finally see some flowers.  I'm grafting the heck out of them now, and selling them on Ebay one at a time.  Also grafting lots of the superior lemon drop mangosteen (my favorite for growing in greenhouses or pots)...I've kind of abandon the Annonas (as far as propagating and collecting), and now focus more on the Garcinias, which are much easier for me to graft, and maintain, with the conditions I have here at my farm (wet, hot, cold, acid pH)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 26, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

This ass dragging Mexican is almost 5 and a half years old and it looks unhealthy and hasn't even had one flower.I have had mangosteen and even durian do better than that.

This is two small Mexicans planted next to each other and I received the seeds around xmas 2014. The close one is almost chest height and flowered last year.This year it flowered again and some small fruit are trying to stick.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #297 on: May 26, 2018, 08:47:17 PM »
Adam glad to see it finally flowering for you! I started most of those seeds around 2007 and gave you those seedlings in 2011 when we left Florida. Hope you set some fruit!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 26, 2018, 10:31:10 PM »
Correction - my flowering one is from seeds from xmas 2013 not 2014.