Author Topic: Lemongrass Iced Tea  (Read 4378 times)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Lemongrass Iced Tea
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Simple pick me up tea when feeling slightly off-kilter - usually drink this when start sneezing all of a sudden and am afraid I'm starting on the flu path.

Pick mature lemongrass stalks and dehydrate (machine) or hang to dry outside in the shade.
Just dry them enough to avoid them getting mouldy - not too much that they turn yellow and dry up.
Cut up the whole thing - leaves and white stalk (scissors work better than knives once its already dehydrated) - 1 full cup of chopped up lemongrass is good for 1 liter of water.
Boil about 1 liter of water once you get a rolling boil, pour water into ceramic/stoneware teapot or a large covered mason jar works as well
Add one cup chopped lemongrass and a half cup of fresh Moringa leaves only (please do your best to remove the bitter stems, it will seem like too much trouble but your taste buds will thank me later!)
Close lid tightly and let this steep for about an hour.
After an hour add sliced lemon/lime/calamondin/clementine wedges (about a full cup) - whichever citrus you have available or whichever you prefer taste-wise. Keep covered and refrigerate overnight.
Lemon and calamondin will turn the tea a nice yellow colour, clementine will turn it orange, lime, well, it's going to stay a boring zombiesque green.
Drink whenever you feel like it - just add some sugar/stevia/honey.

IF you hate Moringa as the tea will still have a bit of a bitter aftertaste (barely there) even if you were patient enough to remove all the stems and steep the leaves only, you can skip it although I'm not sure just the citrus and lemongrass by itself will be an effective enough immune system booster.
My mum hates Moringa and prefers to substitute grated ginger/white turmeric/black turmeric rhizomes (also half cup) all of which seems effective enough.
IF you already have the flu - go with the lemongrass/citrus/black turmeric/honey combo. And try to drink one to two cups of tea a day.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

donner

• Canada,BC,Vancouver,3b
    • View Profile
Re: Lemongrass Iced Tea
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:03:12 AM »
Sounds really refreshing,thanks for sharing.

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Lemongrass Iced Tea
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:59:52 PM »
I like my lemongrass tea hot and cold.  I fill a ceramic tea pot full of fresh green lemongrass leaves plus a piece of fresh ginger root.  I pour hot water over both and let sit for 10 minutes or so.  I'll then have a mug it hot.  The rest is cooled and later refrigerated for future hot and/or cold enjoyment.