Author Topic: How should I prune this apricot tree?  (Read 2417 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
How should I prune this apricot tree?
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
All those shoots that are popping up, should they be cut off? Will doing that adversely affect fruit production next season? Any advice is appreciated. The tree is about 7 years old, production is variable year to year.
Thanks!

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: How should I prune this apricot tree?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:47 PM »
yes cut them  in half, or up to 1/3 third, it will make more shorter fruiting branches from which you choose in fall/spring strongest to keep
Daniel

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »
Hi, there are a lot of videos in the net if you type "how to graft peach/ or apricot trees?" in the search place. I find them very informative, but I like to see several because some are more detailed oriented than others so you will learn more. Good luck

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
I concur with the two previous posts. Will add that anyone wanting to grow fruit trees should have a fruit tree book with info on pruning. Pruning of peaches, plums, apricots each spring is very important. To keep it simple, remove all inward growing branches and prune all of last seasons growth back by a third after the at of frost in spring if possible; don't want to prune too soon and encourage early bloom that can get frosted. You need to remove 3-4 year old or unproductive wood/Spurs each spring to encourage new growth,vigor and new flower Spur development.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 09:30:50 AM »
Yes, but it should be better to prune it every year than let it grow and then prune it severely (Apricots don't like to be pruned)...

Anyway it's too tall and dense, I would short (half) those branches of the new vegetation (the thin branches, very long, reaching the higher points) and thin the low part of the tree.

Remember, the fruit gems are larger than wood gems..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk