Author Topic: Whats turning color?  (Read 2562 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Whats turning color?
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:14:17 PM »
The fruit on my Xie Shan has turned orange, and ready to ea t.  Xie Shan is one the earliest maturing Satsumas, by September in most areas. It is a great tree for areas that have early winter weather. An opposite citrus variety is the Dekopon, which has to be left hanging on the tree until March for the best quality.  Even later in Japan, where they they cure them for a month or so.  What  fruit do other members have that they have ready to eat? - Millet   

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Whats turning color?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:59:22 PM »
Paw paws and apples. My satsumas, owari and Kimbrough, are green as grass.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:28 PM »
I have been so busy with the greenhouse work I haven't taken inventory of whats growing in a while. 

Of the fruit I've grown before:

• calomondins are ripe, I've been eating them for a few weeks
  • fukushu kumquats nearly ripe.   Nagami, marumi, meiwa are farther behind
  • my sanguinelli orange that nearly died when I forgot to water it still has a fruit or two turning yellow
  • meyer lemons are ripe
  • nippon orangequats are turning yellow

Ones I'll be getting to try for the first time this year:
  • my 1yr vaniglia sanguingo has a single fruit nearly yellow
  • the excalibur red lime I traded with Lorewren for has a half dozen fruits starting to turn yellow
  • centennial variegated kumquat has a dozen fruit that still look like small watermelons
  • hong kong kumquats have some tiny little orange fruit.  I ate one but it was just dry, like eating peel.  These aren't supposed to be edible though
  • lakeland limequat has a couple fruits
  • 1yr sunquat has one fruit, hoping it holds

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
Sounds like you are getting a good harvest.  Congratulations.
Cory

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:52:44 PM »
My sie shan are almost there, some are yellow, Meyer had some ripe ones but most are green with a lot of new ones and also new blooms. All others are just growing. In a few weeks they are all going in the garage for about a couple months

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »
Some Xie Shan are coloring up pretty good, some are still very green. All Xie Shan are small and in pots. One Kishu is in ground and pretty loaded and one is planted in ground. Kishu`s taste good and are mostly orange. A brand new Arctic Frost is in a 3 gallon pot and came with 2 fruit. One is droughty and small but one is ok and very yellow. Huge inground Meyer had 350 fruit last year and looks loaded again. I've picked or found about 20 yellow fruit so far. Some had some damage from the ground but easily solved by cutting off the bad part and putting the good part in refrigerator. I have a migawawase (?) very small that's supposed to be early and the fruit are yellowing pretty good. Everything else is still green. Lots of Satsumas still very green. Also Juanita, kumquats, ponderosa and vriagated Eureka lemon are getting there but some time remaining. We have not had many cool nights but it's getting better. Tom
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:07:23 PM by Tom »

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 10:56:54 PM »
 I've been picking and eating Miho Satusumas.
Kishus' and Improved Meyer lemons are all colored in, while Seto Satsuma is just showing a little color also.
The rest of my citrus are still green.  :)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »
It is a strange year here, one of my 3 mature (10+ year old) Owari's is already starting to color up, I tried a fruit off it today and it tasted close to being ripe, certainly edible.  The tree is also loaded down with fruit although they are much smaller than what this tree has historically produced (less than half the size).  By comparison the fruit on my LA Early Satsuma which was planted last year is less ripe than this one Owari and the fruit on my other two Owari trees are still bright green and sour.  Of course to confuse matters even more it is mid October and the daily highs are still around 90 most days with only 1 night so far dropping into the upper 40's vs say 3 years ago this week  we had our first freeze of the year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk