Author Topic: Christmas harvest  (Read 9348 times)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas harvest
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
Anona rosada delicious blueberry cheesecake taste

That sounds like a perfect description Frank, that it has that bluish/pink interior too!  How would you compare the two Ilamas you have?  If the Rosada tastes like blueberry cheesecake, what does the Genova Red Ilama taste like? Any differences in texture or sweetness?

Bob
Bob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »

That sounds like a perfect description Frank, that it has that bluish/pink interior too!  How would you compare the two Ilamas you have?  If the Rosada tastes like blueberry cheesecake, what does the Genova Red Ilama taste like? Any differences in texture or sweetness?

Bob

They are very similar both creamy and fluffy with a berry topping just an incredible unique texture you wouldn't expect from an anona.
Pardon me Bob have we meet? I don't recall telling you I have two ilama varieties.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »

Bob

They are very similar both creamy and fluffy with a berry topping just an incredible unique texture you wouldn't expect from an anona.
Pardon me Bob have we meet? I don't recall telling you I have two ilama varieties.

Okay, good to know that the two varieties are similar in taste.  I was hoping you would say the Genova Red tasted like raspberry cheesecake to complement the blueberry flavor of the Rosada!

My apologies for being too familiar on the forum.  I have been searching the forum for over a month before the registration was fixed.  I am a bit of a Annona freak and when I searched for Annona, your posts came up quite often.  Since you live in southern California too, I read a lot of your posts and have learned a great deal from them.  I purchased an unnamed variety of Ilama from Bonita Creek Nursery last summer, so this was a topic that interested me.  My Ilama will take some time before it fruits, so it is great to see the success you are having with this Annona species.
Bob

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 03:05:37 AM »
Hi, Guyaba,

I am really interested in knowing your Illama taste profile when it fruits.
Last time I went to Bonita Creek nursery they had Illama tree but at that time I did not get it.

-FruitFool

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »
Okay, good to know that the two varieties are similar in taste.  I was hoping you would say the Genova Red tasted like raspberry cheesecake to complement the blueberry flavor of the Rosada!

My apologies for being too familiar on the forum.  I have been searching the forum for over a month before the registration was fixed.  I am a bit of a Annona freak and when I searched for Annona, your posts came up quite often.  Since you live in southern California too, I read a lot of your posts and have learned a great deal from them.  I purchased an unnamed variety of Ilama from Bonita Creek Nursery last summer, so this was a topic that interested me.  My Ilama will take some time before it fruits, so it is great to see the success you are having with this Annona species.
[/quote]

Bob
No need for an apology I though we might have meet in a tastings. I hate to burst your bubble but Bonita creek nor Exotica sell true ilamas. I have pointed out to Dave and Steve. Ong might have it in your area
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:56:01 PM by JF »

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
Hi, Guyaba,

Last time I went to Bonita Creek nursery they had Illama tree but at that time I did not get it.

-FruitFool
I will definitely keep you updated on the Ilama.  Since it may not be a true Ilama, then it may be pointless for a taste profile.  I think it will be too small to produce fruit next year, but maybe flowers.  I will post another thread so this one is not taken up by my identification problem.

Bob
Bob

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
Hi, Guyaba,

-FruitFool
I will definitely keep you updated on the Ilama.  Since it may not be a true Ilama, then it may be pointless for a taste profile.  I think it will be too small to produce fruit next year, but maybe flowers.  I will post another thread so this one is not taken up by my identification problem.

Bob
Bob, you can tell if you have an illama easy by looking at it's leaves, hence Annona Diversifolia

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »
Hi, Guyaba,

-FruitFool

Bob
Bob, you can tell if you have an illama easy by looking at it's leaves, hence Annona Diversifolia

Thanks for the information Mark.  I was concerned enough that I took some pictures of the lower stems and posted that on a different thread.  Frank took a look at the lower short rounded leaf close up and thought it was an Ilama.  It is starting to loose a few leaves now due to the heavy storms we have had, so I will probably strip the remaining leaves off in February to give it a nice rest period. I am interested in getting it to flower this year and see if it is a red/pink flowering variety.
Bob

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:34 PM »
Rollinas grow as vigorous as any anona in SoCal the problem is they don't like our arid climate. I'm now experimenting with a special variety and rootstock hopefully this will correct the problem so far things are looking promising

Hey Frank, just came across this older thread...any updates on your rollinia rootstock project? I just purchased some Rollinia seedlings. Thanks and hope all is well.
Nate

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk