Author Topic: LARGEST Surinam Cherries-E. uniflora  (Read 3673 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
LARGEST Surinam Cherries-E. uniflora
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:46 AM »
What is considered the largest surinam cherry cultivar and is it even sweet/tasty?  I only ask since my trees are starting to flower and fruits are forming.  But i keep thinking to myself how hard it is to feel satisfied when you have to fight for fruits with the birds, rats, wife and kid! So need bigger fruit!   ;)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: LARGEST Surinam Cherries-E. uniflora
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 06:22:53 AM »
What is considered the largest surinam cherry cultivar and is it even sweet/tasty?  I only ask since my trees are starting to flower and fruits are forming.  But i keep thinking to myself how hard it is to feel satisfied when you have to fight for fruits with the birds, rats, wife and kid! So need bigger fruit!   ;)

I have seen them get as big as a quarter.   In general,  not really sure it the actual variety that makes a difference.   They need sufficient care, watering and fertilization which will aid in a larger, full flavored fruit.  I dont mean over watering which could wash out the flavor.   Limit their water too much and the fruit size will almost shrivel and the flav8could be a little off...almost similarly to a jaboticaba.
- Rob

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »
There is one called "Champa" it is pretty big and red, and tastes really good.

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
Mark, any idea who sells Champa?  I don't think I have that variety.
Bob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:37:45 PM »

From Champa nursery?

As with any other fruit, is it a one off seedling or has this truly been tested and observed  (through time, propagation and generations)?
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »
PR Giants showed a picture of a red fruit as big as a 50 cent piece. I sent a pm and asked for seeds/scions but never got a response, Coconut had several posts about a large tasty strain but I sent a pm and haven't heard back. In California,  http://encantofarms.com/poirier.html
This website has interesting named varieties being offered. I was more interested in obtaining "special" strains but I got 5 grafted Zills black
and I am very happy with these. They are not bigger then a quarter but very good taste without the resinous aftertaste. I also got a couple I started from seed from Miguel Pt of a possible different subspecies which is suppose to be very good, but I am a 1-2 years away from fruit.

Mike

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »

From Champa nursery?

As with any other fruit, is it a one off seedling or has this truly been tested and observed  (through time, propagation and generations)?
Sorry the name is "Chamba" it is a named variety. The one I got was from Jim Neitzel here in San Diego. I can't tell if it is grafted as it is pretty mature. However the fruit is pretty big and doesn't have a lacquer after taste.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
PR Giants showed a picture of a red fruit as big as a 50 cent piece. I sent a pm and asked for seeds/scions but never got a response, Coconut had several posts about a large tasty strain but I sent a pm and haven't heard back. In California,  http://encantofarms.com/poirier.html
This website has interesting named varieties being offered. I was more interested in obtaining "special" strains but I got 5 grafted Zills black
and I am very happy with these. They are not bigger then a quarter but very good taste without the resinous aftertaste. I also got a couple I started from seed from Miguel Pt of a possible different subspecies which is suppose to be very good, but I am a 1-2 years away from fruit.

Mike
Thanks for the information Mike.  I have tried contacting Encanto Farms before, but didn't get any response, so I assumed they were not selling anymore.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:16:25 PM »

From Champa nursery?

Sorry the name is "Chamba" it is a named variety. The one I got was from Jim Neitzel here in San Diego. I can't tell if it is grafted as it is pretty mature. However the fruit is pretty big and doesn't have a lacquer after taste.

Okay Mark, I will keep an eye out for this variety locally.
Bob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 11:20:48 PM »

From Champa nursery?

Lol.  What a difference a letter makes.

Please post some pictures when you can.  Lets get som grafted and see how they do....
- Rob

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »

I have seen them get as big as a quarter.   In general,  not really sure it the actual variety that makes a difference.   They need sufficient care, watering and fertilization which will aid in a larger, full flavored fruit.  I dont mean over watering which could wash out the flavor.   Limit their water too much and the fruit size will almost shrivel and the flav8could be a little off...almost similarly to a jaboticaba.

I just have lolita, vermillion, and Frankie's red. Love the Frankie's a lot bc its VERY juicy.  However the downside is how small they are.  The vermillion gets to be a decent size, but you are right bsbullie on the care aspect. 

I'll have to look out for this chamba variety

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »

From Champa nursery?

I have this variety too and can get good size mine some about 1"in diameter also vermillion very good.

marklee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 01:40:07 PM »

From Champa nursery?
I gave some to the Flying Fox a few years back, and I have grafted a few.

Lol.  What a difference a letter makes.

Please post some pictures when you can.  Lets get som grafted and see how they do....

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »
Seed, I know, but Fruit Lovers has good size:

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
This is off one of my no-named red fruited shrubs.

- Rob

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:21 PM »
I found Chamba up here and it's my favorite variety actually.  It's a different flavor then the black ones which seem to be a bit sweeter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk