Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 951734 times)

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1800 on: August 03, 2016, 11:57:21 PM »
Hi carlos the dragonfruit graft like a cacti...this acelerate the flowering and growth faster....its the same grafting mode like a san pedro cacti...In 10 days the graft you know the results.
I think what he means is that by grafting a species you want to grow onto an already established root system you skip the time taken to root a new cutting. This would also be beneficial in larger plants to add a second species onto a larger plant, for both variety and cross pollinating.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 04, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »
Hi carlos the dragonfruit graft like a cacti...this acelerate the flowering and growth faster....its the same grafting mode like a san pedro cacti...In 10 days the graft you know the results.
I think what he means is that by grafting a species you want to grow onto an already established root system you skip the time taken to root a new cutting. This would also be beneficial in larger plants to add a second species onto a larger plant, for both variety and cross pollinating.
That make sense is like top working a tree. I wonder how is done and materials used
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 04, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »
Hi friends in this video teach the technique i applied on dragon fruit :

! No longer available

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 04, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »
That make sense is like top working a tree. I wonder how is done and materials used
Hello CTMIAMI, there is a bit more information on grafting cactus on this thread. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18773.msg242375#msg242375
You can actually graft Dragonfruit onto Opuntias.
Simon

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 04, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
I think I posted this once before but I'll put it up again since it's being talked about. This is one of my favourite pinks grafted onto Cereus Peruvianus. Very easy to do, as both cactus have identical centre cores. Just match up the centres to roughly the same size and hold together with large rubber bands or tie down with string.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 05, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
Hi! I'm very happy, yesterday i see my first button on my pitayas, on purple haze var!  ;D

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 05, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »
I think I have 3 baby dragons to look forward to, 2 of them are on two sides of the same stem extremely close to each other + pointing upward, hoping there will be enough support!!

It popped on Tuesday night! The only night that I was able to pollinate it! I brushed on the pollen I gathered from the Lomita White last week. Fingers crossed!

Have you had a chance to check the results?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 06, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »
I think I have 3 baby dragons to look forward to, 2 of them are on two sides of the same stem extremely close to each other + pointing upward, hoping there will be enough support!!

Oops, one clearly aborted already from the dual flower, 9 days into pollination.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 07, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
Is anyone growing Thompson DF in South Florida?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 07, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
It popped on Tuesday night! The only night that I was able to pollinate it! I brushed on the pollen I gathered from the Lomita White last week. Fingers crossed!
Have you had a chance to check the results?
Yes, and it's not good. 😭

My hand-cross-pollinated flower aborted, as did 6 other flowers that bloomed while I was gone.

Several other smaller flowers never even got to the blooming stage.

I had one flower left, and it bloomed the night I came home, so I pollinated it with the last of my collected pollen. So this is it for this batch of flowers.

One the other hand the flower in Manhattan Beach that I pollinated for them when I attempted to collect it's pollen has set a fruit! So at least someone is benefitting from all of my night time driving!

Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 08, 2016, 12:27:54 AM »
I had one flower left, and it bloomed the night I came home, so I pollinated it with the last of my collected pollen. So this is it for this batch of flowers.
And apparently I have another batch coming!

I have a 15 buds scattered around the plant. If the same pattern holds about half of them will bloom.

Curiously, my Lomita White appears to have buds as well, which is surprising given the size of the plant:

That's 2 cuttings planted less than a year ago. Neither looks nearly the critical mass that's been suggested as minimum size for fruiting. But the cuttings were thick and mature-looking, so they've got some years on them. These do look like flower buds, don't they?

If I'm really lucky they'll all bloom at the same time so I can cross pollinate everyone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:37:16 AM by TheWaterbug »
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 08, 2016, 01:48:59 AM »
And apparently I have another batch coming!

I have a 15 buds scattered around the plant. If the same pattern holds about half of them will bloom.

Curiously, my Lomita White appears to have buds as well, which is surprising given the size of the plant:

That's 2 cuttings planted less than a year ago. Neither looks nearly the critical mass that's been suggested as minimum size for fruiting. But the cuttings were thick and mature-looking, so they've got some years on them. These do look like flower buds, don't they?

If I'm really lucky they'll all bloom at the same time so I can cross pollinate everyone.
I might be wrong, but if I had to make an educated guess, that Df in the first picture is a white variety as well. Almost all whites (and a very few pinks) have that brown stripe on the edges of the branch "blades". Its uncommon in most other varieties. Do you know what type of pollen you used on your first attempt, where none of the flowers set fruit? What is that one supposed to be?
As for the other plant showing flower buds, that is common in cuttings. It just means it was a good strong section of the plant, fully mature, and would have set fruit if it were still attached to its mother plant. If you have a solid root system on that one, you should be able to bring them to maturity, weather and other factors permitting.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 08, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
I might be wrong, but if I had to make an educated guess, that Df in the first picture is a white variety as well. Almost all whites (and a very few pinks) have that brown stripe on the edges of the branch "blades". Its uncommon in most other varieties. Do you know what type of pollen you used on your first attempt, where none of the flowers set fruit? What is that one supposed to be?
That first photo is from a plant I bought at Lowes, almost 2 years ago. It's supposedly a Pink, grown by La Verne, though it hasn't borne fruit yet, so the jury's out.

The pollen I collected a few weeks ago is from a good-sized vine in Lomita, which itself is from a cutting from a very large vine also in Lomita. The donor says the fruit is white-fleshed, which is why I'm calling it Lomita White. I don't have any other info on its pedigree.

The fruit that set is on a vine in Manhattan Beach that's climbing over its wall so that I can get to it from the public sidewalk. I haven't made any contact with the owner yet. I knocked one night, but they didn't answer. Maybe they got freaked out by the large man holding a stepladder, a flashlight, and a cut-up Perrier bottle  ;D .
As for the other plant showing flower buds, that is common in cuttings. It just means it was a good strong section of the plant, fully mature, and would have set fruit if it were still attached to its mother plant. If you have a solid root system on that one, you should be able to bring them to maturity, weather and other factors permitting.

Interesting. So mature cuttings are definitely preferred to juvenile cuttings then?

This is also Lomita White. I probably won't let it set fruit this year, so as to encourage vine growth. But I'll let it flower so I can use it as a pollen donor.

I've never inspected the root system of a DF. I have some extra La Verne pink plants that I currently have no use for. If no one wants them I might shake them out to inspect the roots. I'll put them back in the dirt, so I'm not planning on sacrificing them, but I don't really need them, so the risk is acceptable. Or maybe I'll turn them into bare root plants for donation to someone.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 08, 2016, 08:12:07 PM »
I still don't know if that one flower aborted b/c of the pollination (flower was not quite open at that time but I was sleepy already) OR because the stem was unable to support both flowers.

@TheWaterbug  Wow you have quite some flowers!! Last time I planted some yellow cutttings and the first thing they did was to put out some flower buds. Both aborted as there was barely any root system. Your plants look in really good shape. Yes healthy mature cuttings are always better than juvenile.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 09, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
Dragonfruit roots are pretty tough. They don't break like other plants when you handle them. They actually stick to soil like ivy sticking to walls. I think you're pretty safe if you wanted to inspect the roots without causing much damage.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 09, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
Describe "cheap", you can go to CPS and get 15's for $3 and change.

What is "CPS"?  :-\

Crop Production Services, used to be called Western Farm Supply. Big commercial supply center for Farmers, I know there's on in Fallbrook and all over I think if you look it up. They also have 3.5 cu. Ft bales of Sunshine #4 mix which is peat & perlite low PH soil mix ingredient as well as all size pots up to 100 Gallon for the right price.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #1816 on: August 09, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Crop Production Services, used to be called Western Farm Supply. Big commercial supply center for Farmers, I know there's on in Fallbrook and all over I think if you look it up. They also have 3.5 cu. Ft bales of Sunshine #4 mix which is peat & perlite low PH soil mix ingredient as well as all size pots up to 100 Gallon for the right price.

Do they sell retail? or only wholesale?

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: August 09, 2016, 03:53:19 PM »
Describe "cheap", you can go to CPS and get 15's for $3 and change.

What is "CPS"?  :-\

Crop Production Services, used to be called Western Farm Supply.

There's one 22 miles from my work. If they sell retail, I'll make a visit!

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 09, 2016, 04:12:01 PM »
I've got a couple of these just about ready to pick.

DM

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:36 PM »
Looks really great DM! What variety?
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 10, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
I manage to miss the first bloom of my juvenile G2 plant!! How could that be sigh. Anyways hoping it will send more flower buds since this one will definitely abort.

And S8 is showing 4 flower buds!!!

These 2 cuttings were planted June 2015.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 10, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I've got a couple of these just about ready to pick.

Looks really great DM! What variety?

Cebra.

DM

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »
If those are Cebra, and its your first time with them, be aware that they are amongst the deepest red of the dragonfruit varieties. The color is so strong that it can sometimes pass through your digestive tract and bladder intact, if you eat a large enough quantity of it,  and might lead to a bit of a colorful surprise the next morning in the bathroom. Its not harmful, but it is can be a bit of a shock if you're unaware. My goddaughter called me up the morning after eating 2 whole fruit from my house thinking she was having some sort of allergic reaction. Was a lot funnier to me than it was to her.
I just wanted to point this out, in the event you didn't know. Also, as a side note, Cebra does make a very nice natural food coloring for things like cookies or cakes, and could even possibly be distilled into a purer form for log term storage for that use. It's SUPER red
8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:37:23 AM by RobPatterson »

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 11, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »
Anyone have cebra cuttings to spare? I want some now!

I can swap with Lisa.

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 11, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »
The cebra photo reminded me about this picture from ebay? listing says "you will receive 1 plant! This variety is Cosmic Blue with Big Blue Blooms!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk