Author Topic: dot vs cac mango  (Read 23933 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: dot vs cac mango
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
You jerk!!! no thank you  ;D ;D ;D ;D

All this is making my bronchitis hurt LOLOL

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
I effectively transferred this risk to Zands via PM ;D

If he's at liberty, G will share it  ;D
Tim

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »
Alexi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
We've been taking the topic of swapping or changing cultivar names quite seriously for sometime
(At lease I have, ever since I created the thread "Which cultivars are renamed, or just the same? Label swappers for profit? "  here on your forum ).

And especially when a seasoned mango buff, like BS, has omitted an important part of the true name....which seems to have created some perverse confusion here on the thread.

It's lead to three names for this one Vietnamese cultivar, cac, coc, and the original Xoài Cóc.

So what's the name you will choose? and why?

Lighten up everyone, its just funny.

Exactly. People are taking it way too seriously.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
We've been taking the topic of swapping or changing cultivar names quite seriously for sometime
(At lease I have, ever since I created the thread "Which cultivars are renamed, or just the same? Label swappers for profit? "  here on your forum ).

And especially when a seasoned mango buff, like BS, has omitted an important part of the true name....which seems to have created some perverse confusion here on the thread.

It's lead to three names for this one Vietnamese cultivar, cac, coc, and the original Xoài Cóc.

So what's the name you will choose? and why?

Lighten up everyone, its just funny.

Exactly. People are taking it way too seriously.
Well, since you are accusing me of changing the name, maybe more research should be done.  if we all included "Xoài" in the name, how do you suggest we make sure all growers/hobbyists/nurseryies spell it or pronounce it correctly.  And, since it means mango, should we say its Mango Coc mango??  When Vietnamese translates in to english, i sthe Xoài supposed to be carried thru or not?  I don't see anybody complaining about the Cat Chu mango...Tim can correct me but I believe that is not the full Vietnamese name.

I think you take naming a bit too far.  I don't see you complaining when LZ, OS, Vp, etc. are used in place of their full names...just how does this differ from the Coc issue?

Now, why don't you relax and go have you some nice, ripe Coc...mango that is  ;) ;) ;D 8) :o :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:34:49 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »
Bob,

stick out your emoticon tongue  :P

here comes one of your favorite mango cultivars.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »

Thanks for your translation of Cac and Coc and Xoai. Vietnam produces some good mango varieties. BTW I have a Coc from Excalibur planted in my front yard. Bsbullie was there (Excalibur) that day and picked it out a real nice specimen

Coc

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:29 PM »
Nice mango tree! Is it just me or is it "greener"(bark and leaves) than some other mango varieties?
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Nice mango tree! Is it just me or is it "greener"(bark and leaves) than some other mango varieties?
pretty normal for a tree of that age.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »
Nice arrangement of stones surrounding the tree!

Its a mixed bunch like us fruiters.

;D

oh the tree looks nice to!

how long do you think you'll wait before letting this one hold some mangoes to taste? seems like half people I know want to cut off flowers for first few years, and the other half are just excited to see a fruit, and want to taste it for the first time., so the leave them to ripen.

For me it depends on the tree, and how bad I want to taste the fruit...but I seem to always let my container bound trees get stunted.

Thanks for your translation of Cac and Coc and Xoai. Vietnam produces some good mango varieties. BTW I have a Coc from Excalibur planted in my front yard. Bsbullie was there (Excalibur) that day and picked it out a real nice specimen

Coc

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »

The large green leaves are assertive. More so than other young mango trees I have seen

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
For someone not conversant in the Vietnamese language,  how would one pronounce Xoài?    And how do you get that squiggle above the "a" ?

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
I believe it's passable if you pronounce it similarly to "swai"  you know, the fish?

For someone not conversant in the Vietnamese language,  how would one pronounce Xoài?    And how do you get that squiggle above the "a" ?
Tim

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
Nice arrangement of stones surrounding the tree!

Its a mixed bunch like us fruiters.

;D

oh the tree looks nice to!

how long do you think you'll wait before letting this one hold some mangoes to taste? seems like half people I know want to cut off flowers for first few years, and the other half are just excited to see a fruit, and want to taste it for the first time., so the leave them to ripen.

For me it depends on the tree, and how bad I want to taste the fruit...but I seem to always let my container bound trees get stunted.

My guess is I can taste a fruit in 2014. But still be sparse fruiting and I might pick all off in 2014 but keep one to taste. 2015 it will have 10 fruits and progress from there
Thanks for noticing the pavers and stones mix. The pavers are visible from the street so I want it to look nice. The stones come from just digging the planting hole. We have loads of such coral/limestone below the topsoil

In my backyard I pay less attention to using stones etc to make the fruit trees look nice

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
And one pound of Cac is enough fertilizer for one clump of corn!
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 12:13:36 PM »
 ??? that one went over my head...how's this one fly by yours?

and one pound of Cac is enough to render Bullscat Bulky large corn pallace.
 ;D ;D

And one pound of Cac is enough fertilizer for one clump of corn!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:41 AM »
Rob.   regarding the Xoai Coc,  is there any online information on this variety?  if I look up Xoai Cat Chu, or Xoai Cat Hoa Loc, I can find lots of information on those VN varieties. but nothing anywhere on the Xoai Coc.  is it just a very new variety?  or maybe spelled differently? i tried the spelling with the accents also  ( Xoài Cóc ).  nothing on mangoes shows up.  except a small mention that Xoai Coc translates to "Toad Mango"

On other VN varieties I find data on tree height, production, taste, color, picture ( using google translator ) brix, etc.

I wonder if maybe the wrong name was put on this mango,  I have seen some reference to "Cóc" but a picture of this fruit shows up

More on Coc here:
http://www.noodlepie.com/blog/fruit/index.html

update, thought that fruit looked familiar , its spondias dulcis , golden apple, or ( manzana de oro here in the DR ).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:33:35 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
William - I too have difficulty finding information on this variety, even in Vietnamese, though it's been around forever. It's hard to translate with the likes of google translator because words have more than one meanings, with & without accents. 

I don't think "Toad" (Con Cóc) has anything to do with this mango, but rather it's green eating quality resembles that of an ambarella (Trái Cóc), I think the latter is true considering most Vietnamese love ambarellas green.
Tim

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
William - I too have no historical/background info on it either.  I can only provide the info from what I saw this year with the tree's production. look and taste of the fruit.  I was also going to shout out to Tim but he beat me to it...unfortunately he was not able to give any additional info.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
William - I too have no historical/background info on it either.  I can only provide the info from what I saw this year with the tree's production. look and taste of the fruit.  I was also going to shout out to Tim but he beat me to it...unfortunately he was not able to give any additional info.

You pointed out a 10 foot high Cóc mango tree when I was at Excalibur nursery. It had one last fruit green-yellowish that seemed about one pound. This is the usual size? Can you go into the taste of this mango? (think you have done this before)

For the time being you are the Cóc mango expert here

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:56 PM »
Rob.   regarding the Xoai Coc,  is there any online information on this variety?  if I look up Xoai Cat Chu, or Xoai Cat Hoa Loc, I can find lots of information on those VN varieties. but nothing anywhere on the Xoai Coc.  is it just a very new variety?  or maybe spelled differently? i tried the spelling with the accents also  ( Xoài Cóc ).  nothing on mangoes shows up.  except a small mention that Xoai Coc translates to "Toad Mango"

On other VN varieties I find data on tree height, production, taste, color, picture ( using google translator ) brix, etc.

I wonder if maybe the wrong name was put on this mango,  I have seen some reference to "Cóc" but a picture of this fruit shows up

More on Coc here:

update, thought that fruit looked familiar , its spondias dulcis , golden apple, or ( manzana de oro here in the DR ).

Your search of Xoài Cóc returned "toad mango" is  correct, literally, because the word Cóc can mean: a toad (the animal), a knock on the head (a verb), or the Ambararella fruit. I think the mango in question, Xoài Cóc, was named so because of the small size of the mango fruit. This mango could conceivably have been named Midget Mango  ;D. I also think the word Cóc was chosen due to the fact that this smallish mango fruit resembles the Ambarella.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »

More on Coc here:

Your search of Xoài Cóc returned "toad mango" is  correct, literally, because the word Cóc can mean: a toad (the animal), a knock on the head (a verb), or the Ambararella fruit. I think the mango in question, Xoài Cóc, was named so because of the small size of the mango fruit. This mango could conceivably have been named Midget Mango  ;D. I also think the word Cóc was chosen due to the fact that this smallish mango fruit resembles the Ambarella.
Tim - are you sure of the size of the fruit?  The fruit I have seen have not been small...I would say approximately 1lb.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 06:43:51 PM »
lmao ... You do realize there are more than 1 Vietnamese on this board, correct?   ;D

Tim - are you sure of the size of the fruit?  The fruit I have seen have not been small...I would say approximately 1lb.
Tim

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
lmao ... You do realize there are more than 1 Vietnamese on this board, correct?   ;D

Well, actually, no  :D ??? :o :P   You seem to be the only one contributing mucho knowledge...
- Rob

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
Coc or Cac, or Cat?

I was laughing hard at work reading this color full thread about a Vietnamese mango. In southern part of VN people also  like to eat  young mango  still green and sour with chili salt or fish sauce, not ripe as most of us here in America do. They mixed slides of green mango with slides ambarella fruit (Coc in Vietnamese). There is no such mango called Xoai Coc in VN. Xoai is mango and Coc is ambarella and they go together in Vietnamese eating culture, thus google for Xoai Coc might generate hits.

Cac is a mis-spell for Cat. There are at least two kind of Cat mangoes that I know: Cat Chu and Cat Hoa Loc, and so I think what we are talking in this thread is either Cat Chu or Cat Hoa Loc, but not Coc.

It is a not 1 pound Coc as someone proudly acclaimed.

Green mango and ambarella with pig ears, fish sauce, hot chili...

https://www.cooky.vn/cong-thuc/tai-heo-xoai-coc-sot-thai-30573