Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Bougainvillea

(1/2) > >>

LivingParadise:
Pretty, drought-tolerant, easy to grow in poor soils with high PH, and come in a wide variety of colors with lots of landscaping uses... and yes, the colored part of the "flowers" are edible.

I eat large portions of them as salad daily, and also in rice paper wraps with tofu. I wouldn't say it's the best tasting vegetable, but it's free in my yard, and probably has loads of antioxidants or other beneficial properties.

Ah, it turns out I was right: http://www.ijppsjournal.com/Vol6Issue5/9423.pdf

Grow them organically, so you don't reverse all the great anti-inflammatory and potentially anti-cancer effects by ingesting commercial poisons along with them. In the right conditions, they don't seem to need much care anyway.

I have not found much flavor difference between colors, incidentally. But I have only tried pink, red, and purple.

Luisport:
Hi! This is incredible! You eat all the flower? Thank's!  ;D

LivingParadise:
Yes, I just rip off the colored part of the plant, and eat - stamen and all. I do not eat anything green on the plant, because I have not seen mention anywhere that it is edible/safe as yet. Any part that is colored, I eat. Which means thus far, I do not eat from these plants when they are not in bloom - but that's usually in the rainy season here, when there are plenty of other things available to eat. It's a great starvation plant, to help fill out so there is food year-round without any effort, and clearly has a lot of great medicinal qualities that have been used by indigenous populations for a long time.

Luisport:
Thank's!  ;D

BajaJohn:
I'll have to try them.

They are super hardy too. These were bare twigs cut out of a wire mesh fence and transplanted two years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version