Author Topic: Pau D'Arco  (Read 2272 times)

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
Pau D'Arco
« on: April 13, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »
Noticed the useless tabebeua we have planted along roads and alleys, which Pau D'Arco is a close relative of. I would love to grow some out, it is immediately needed for its medicinal use..

Unsure if it has edible parts, and I wonder if this is forum is the appropriate area for posting, it's such a work in progress :)

So any information is appreciated.
I'm in SW Fl now and will possibly be in GA and or LA later on

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Pau D'Arco
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:11:30 PM »
Thanks for this, I had not heard of Pau D'Arco previously! I would think this is the place to post - as I understand it "other edibles" in the forum title was meant to refer also to medicinals, and even in some cases landscaping/ornamental plants. I think it was a catch-all for non-fruit tropicals, but they struggled with a name to call it, without breaking off and creating too many subsections as happened previously.

Just in case this is relevant to you since you said the need is immediate, this is a relatively inexpensive brand that seems to have gotten very good reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-DArco-Inner-capsules/dp/B00014DZCK/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492139160&sr=8-3&keywords=Pau+D%27Arco
And it is selling for half the price on Swanson, which I can say I have personally had good experiences with as a company so would not hesitate to order from: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/natures-way-pau-darco-inner-bark-100-caps?SourceCode=INTL4055&gclid=CL6jmOr7otMCFUdDhgodyh8Pxw

I can't vouch for this specific supplement, as I say I've never heard of it before, and there may be better out there (searching through Amazon reviews is a good way to identify what works best for the purposes you need it for, since it can work on many different things, even if you don't end up buying from there). But while you wait to obtain and grow it, at least there are options.

Best of luck on getting the medical needs met as soon as possible!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 03:53:18 AM »
I have a Pau D'Arco tree. Here it has been kind of slow growing and has never flowered. It is about 15 feet tall. The part used medicinally is the bark.
I read that in a test of Pau D'Arco products sold over 2/3 turned out to be not the real item or highly adulterated. So if you buy a product research it thoroughly and make sure you get the real thing. 
Oscar

TravelingFriend

• North America, SE states, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Zone 9a - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:53:26 PM »
Thanks for this, I had not heard of Pau D'Arco previously! I would think this is the place to post - as I understand it "other edibles" in the forum title was meant to refer also to medicinals, and even in some cases landscaping/ornamental plants. I think it was a catch-all for non-fruit tropicals, but they struggled with a name to call it, without breaking off and creating too many subsections as happened previously.

Just in case this is relevant to you since you said the need is immediate, this is a relatively inexpensive brand that seems to have gotten very good reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-DArco-Inner-capsules/dp/B00014DZCK/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492139160&sr=8-3&keywords=Pau+D%27Arco
And it is selling for half the price on Swanson, which I can say I have personally had good experiences with as a company so would not hesitate to order from: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/natures-way-pau-darco-inner-bark-100-caps?SourceCode=INTL4055&gclid=CL6jmOr7otMCFUdDhgodyh8Pxw

I can't vouch for this specific supplement, as I say I've never heard of it before, and there may be better out there (searching through Amazon reviews is a good way to identify what works best for the purposes you need it for, since it can work on many different things, even if you don't end up buying from there). But while you wait to obtain and grow it, at least there are options.

Best of luck on getting the medical needs met as soon as possible!

Well thanks a lot for looking ahead! Yeah now a days I am concern of adulterants as stated by Fruitlovers.. And I do actually have a bag, I am excited we will one day have a tree...
I have a Pau D'Arco tree. Here it has been kind of slow growing and has never flowered. It is about 15 feet tall. The part used medicinally is the bark.
I read that in a test of Pau D'Arco products sold over 2/3 turned out to be not the real item or highly adulterated. So if you buy a product research it thoroughly and make sure you get the real thing.
Thank you for this reminder. I try to acknowledge that, of most agricultural products, especially. I wish your tree to flower, not only to share seeds, but for your pleasure, they look show stopping!

Blessings