Author Topic: Jak fruit? Brevard Rare Fruit Tree Sale  (Read 11337 times)

Central Floridave

• View Profile
Jak fruit? Brevard Rare Fruit Tree Sale
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
I'm looking to add a Jak Fruit.   They do grow this far North.  A couple friend's trees are loaded right now with fruit.   What is best variety to grow?   Dwarf (if possible)?  Small fruit (if possible). Also, do they fruit in partial shade?  I'm limited on my full sun spots and must compete with everything else. 

The Member Sale of the Brevard Rare Fruit annual tree sale is Friday.  So, whatever variety the vendor Pine Island Nursery (PIN) brings are my options.   PIN website has been down for a long time. Thus, don't know the variety but will be attending the meeting on Thursday for the list.

Thanks in advance.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jak fruit? Brevard Rare Fruit Tree Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
Unfortunately PIN may not bring something you want.  Most of what they usually sell are either the older varieties or the handful that Fairchild released which IMO are not the most desurable, for one characteristic or another.  For firm fleshed and quality fruit, I would go with Bangkok Lemon/Krunchy Lemon,  Red Morning,  J30, Mai 3, Excalibur Red or Gold.  Most of these are larger trees. 

Mai 3 is a little more compact of a tree and slightly smaller fruit.

Cristela is the most "dwarf" of a tree I can think of and it has smaller fruit but PIN does not sell it.
- Rob

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
Dave I don't know what varieties they are bringing this year.  The have carried Mai 1 and J 30 and J31 before along with a bunch of other older cultivars.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »
Thanks for the info!   I'll list the variety they carry when i get the list on Thursday.

I'll look into other options as well.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
In the past years it only had the number of the jackfruit trees not which varieties.  If you do the unloading on Friday of course you'll see.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:44 PM »
Thanks, I can't work the unload this year but another friend is doing it. 

A friend recommended this one:   Dang Rasimi

Fairchild Trop Garden list:
http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/jackfruit-cultivars.html

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
Thanks, I can't work the unload this year but another friend is doing it. 

A friend recommended this one:   Dang Rasimi

Fairchild Trop Garden list:
http://www.virtualherbarium.org/tropicalfruit/jackfruit-cultivars.html

Not a very good jackfruit.   Very generic.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
Thanks.  Generic might be good enough for me.  I don't know the difference in all the different fruit.  Just looking for the "Glen" of the Jak fruit.  (meaning glen is usually recommended as the mango to plant if only can plant one). 

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks.  Generic might be good enough for me.  I don't know the difference in all the different fruit.  Just looking for the "Glen" of the Jak fruit.  (meaning glen is usually recommended as the mango to plant if only can plant one).

I think much like you. Sometimes a unique taste may be right for some, but I'd eat more of a less distinctive taste.

An example comes to mind, the "Lemon Meringue" mango. They're delicious, but I wouldn't eat more than a couple in a season. Also the "first taste" groove. The first Sapodilla I tasted was a Makok, and some say the flavor is too strong, but to me some others are bland.

I guess it's like growing up on a dark beer like Guinness beer, everything else would taste blah :-)

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

I would never recommend planting a Glen mango.   There in lies the difference.  Why not grow what is good as compared to a soso quality fruit that is perceived basic/generic and lossibly liked by the general masses who are not in the know.

If you taste no other jackfruit, you might say its ok.  If you taste and compare with many others, you will most likely be disappointed that you wasted 4-5 years, time, space and money on it. 
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
Go for the best, dave!
John

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
Didn't PIN release 'Cantaloupe' 'Orange Crush' and some other fruity sounding named jackfruit within the past couple years?
-Josh

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
Rob
I   have room for 1 more Jak-- ive got MI1 and Excl red already-- what would you suggest that will give great fruit and a lot of it - Im in Lake Worth -
Www.sailing-charters.org

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »
Last time I was at Pine Island Nursery, the jackfruits they had were tiny, freshly grafted, and the variety was unknown/unidentified.

I was nice and bought one only because they were selling them for $10 and the lady who barely spoke english drove me all the way there on the cart after I asked to see their dragonfruit / pitaya collection.

She thought I said Jackfruit and Papaya.

So, since she spent 15 minutes searching for the Jackfruit, I bought one to avoid the embarrassment of further confusion, smiled and left.

No idea what variety it is, but the little guy is precocious.

That said, I recommend Excalibur Red and Lemon.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Thanks for the other recommendations!   

"I would never recommend planting a Glen mango. "

LOL, I've got about 20 different mango trees and Glen is one of my favorite. It is 20 years old and provides early great tasting fruit every year without care from me.   It is currently LOADED with fruit right now.  I highly recommend Glen. 

Thanks for the Jak fruit comparisons though. It is nice to have an opposing viewpoint.    I've had a few different variety of jak fruit but couldn't name one.  So, anything helps the decision process!  Even a negative review!!!

Check out this vid:
JACKFRUIT "Dang Rasimi" AT FAIRCHILD FARM
https://youtu.be/FAWcAuyvyWQ

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 03:40:45 PM »
Didn't PIN release 'Cantaloupe' 'Orange Crush' and some other fruity sounding named jackfruit within the past couple years?
For the 2015 sale, PIN brought those 2 and two others (can't remember their names) up. Didn't bring any of them last year.

EDIT: Found the list from last year. Only time I can remember have varieties listed instead of just "assorted".
2016 jaks:
Black Gold
Cheena
Dang Rassini
Golden Nugget
J-30
Orange Crush
Thai 2
(Just because it's on the list, doesn't mean it actually made it onto the truck tho, and sometimes varieties not on the list come off the truck)

DM
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:52:08 PM by Dangermouse01 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
Rob
I   have room for 1 more Jak-- ive got MI1 and Excl red already-- what would you suggest that will give great fruit and a lot of it - Im in Lake Worth -

Bangkok Lemon/Krunchy Lemon or J30.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
Rob

Bangkok Lemon/Krunchy Lemon or J30.

+10

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
Those variety listed,,,. What vendor sells them?  mail order?    Let me know.  I'm not making any rash decisions and of course I want the best.  But, the sale is Friday.  so, I may make a rash decision. <-- reserve the right LOL. 

Thanks for all the info. You guys rock.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »

yeah, Bender's Grove had them but I didn't like the names so I went with the one they didn't name RS-22 which is supposed to be a crunchy yellow jackfruit. The tree is over 10 feet tall in ground and I got it in a 3 gallon last summer. It's doing way better than the jackfruit I got from Excalibur which I think is a red morning but I'm not sure.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »

yeah, Bender's Grove had them but I didn't like the names so I went with the one they didn't name RS-22 which is supposed to be a crunchy yellow jackfruit. The tree is over 10 feet tall in ground and I got it in a 3 gallon last summer. It's doing way better than the jackfruit I got from Excalibur which I think is a red morning but I'm not sure.

Caution to the wind, the "new" Fairchild varieties that I tried were not crunchy textured but a little softer than a true crunchy.   They were not mind blowing as the names seem to imply.  Cute names aside, I would suggest tasting if you can before making rash decisions if space is an issue.  These have not been in circulation long so evaluations are based on limited sampling (including mine).

How big was the 3 gal?  Up to 10 feet in less than one year is super fast for a grafted jackfruit.
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »
I'm looking to add a Jak Fruit.   They do grow this far North.  A couple friend's trees are loaded right now with fruit.   What is best variety to grow?   Dwarf (if possible)?  Small fruit (if possible). Also, do they fruit in partial shade?  I'm limited on my full sun spots and must compete with everything else. 

The Member Sale of the Brevard Rare Fruit annual tree sale is Friday.  So, whatever variety the vendor Pine Island Nursery (PIN) brings are my options.   PIN website has been down for a long time. Thus, don't know the variety but will be attending the meeting on Thursday for the list.

Thanks in advance.

Fairchild had a variety that had 5 lb round fruit called "Fairchild First."  I don't remember what it tastes like.  PIN grafted the trees for Fairchild.  The Fairchild varieties were planted during a frost that killed mature jackfruit trees next to the Fairchild seedlings, so they are supposed to be "more" cold tolerant.  I have 12 jackfruit trees (just planted 2 recently); I have four seedlings.  I definitely suggest grafted tree.  Borneo Red is the best flavor I have had so far, but it seems to abort a fair number of fruit and is supposedly more cold sensitive. 

It is difficult to pick multiple varieties of fresh jackfruit on the same day, so the tasting at Jackfruit Jubilee was probably frozen fruit.  Freezing jackfruit generally makes it have soft texture.  Good luck!
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 01:12:56 AM »
Taste before you buy. From tastings i have attended, people can have very strong and differing opinions.

Cristella fit your original request best.I like flavor but some do not.

My 3 gal lemongpld grew from.4 ft to 10 ft in a yesr. Wind snapped it back down to 4 ft. It was 3-4 inches in diameter where it broke. Quick growth can be weak. 3 years later, it is overloaded with fruit, first fruiting.

Bangkok lemon grew quick too. Tons of fruit on it this year.

Cheena and gold nugget have excellent flavor but are very softly textured.
Brandon

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
"Taste before you buy."

Ok, send me your fruit. LOL. 

Thanks for the discussion.  Wish I could taste first. But, going on recommendations is all I've got. 

tonight is the meeting and I don't think I can make it but have a friend going. Thus, will see if there are named variety for this sale.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »
"Taste before you buy."

Ok, send me your fruit. LOL. 

Thanks for the discussion.  Wish I could taste first. But, going on recommendations is all I've got. 

You laugh but this is part of the reason I have 26 grafted varieties planted and still expanding. Getting here to taste the fruit is your issue to resolve.  :P
Brandon