Author Topic: spacing a grove  (Read 1601 times)

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
spacing a grove
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:27:52 AM »
I have 2.5 acres 330' x 330'
Will be planting a lot of mangos but also other tropical fruit trees.

How would you go about spacing rows/trees?
I was thinking about 20' rows with 20' spacing,but a could get a few more rows if I did 18'.
Or I could do 20' row with 18' spacing. I'm just not sure whats the best way.
Quentin

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
Re: spacing a grove
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
Also what kind of fruit trees would be better along the north as wind break. ie black sapote , inga, santol ect..
Quentin

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
Also what kind of fruit trees would be better along the north as wind break. ie black sapote , inga, santol ect..

I'd have the row and columns spacing different (something like 25ft rows, 15ft columns) so you can get machinery in between columns of trees.
Might want to think of planting Katuk as a wind break, the grow to be a full a 6ft bush in about a year, plus if you can find a market for them they are delicious

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm not too sure katuk would really stand up to the wind.  Jakfruit is frequently used as a windbreak.
Tighter rows north to south with more space on each side of those rows to get best sun exposure.
Peter

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:32:16 PM »
100 trees per acre is  the ball park number give or take 10, depending on the variety / species  etc.

take a look at this useful chart
http://www.thealmondcompany.com/nurseryco/tree%20chart.pdf

Skhan suggested  25 by 14,  this will give you a bit over 110 trees per acre.    if you are in a very humid area, and lots of rain,  poor circulation, you might want to give a bit more space between trees in a row,  on the other hand,  if you have good circulation and area is not as humid,  you can opt for closer tree planting within the rows.
high density up to Ultra high density,  although I would not recommend UHD as it is labor intensive and requires a lot of input, monitoring.  also chemical growth retardants.   High density with drip/sprayers is excellent though.    so really it is up to you,   if you just want trees growing with little input, using rain, and  minimal pruning, then more space will be needed.

You will get higher yields, and quicker return on investment with the more trees you put in.   this depends on owner, and local conditions.

As for wind breaks,  I am one of those that believe trees should be multipurpose,   around here, we use tamarind, Neem,  Moringa,  all produce products you can use,  Moringa is popular because it can be used as fertilizer,  when you cut it back down, it grows back fast but the new branches are straight poles,  which can also be used for fencing.   the leaves, besides being edible, also make a great foliar spray,  similar to seaweed sprays ( natural growth stimulants and minerals ).   Neem also grows very fast,  is a natural insecticide.  all three trees wont require watering if you get at lease some rain. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:39:23 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
I've gone with 25' spacing on my rows (to allow room for equipment) with no columns, per se.  I have just varied the spacing depending upon the type of trees, anything from about 15' for smaller trees up to 30' or so for larger trees (like durian).  I will be interplanting understory trees later, once the main trees get some more size on them.  My rows parallel the road, so run more or less east-west.  I have put in some windbreak but with my rows arranged this way, the prevailing winds should be more or less parallel with the rows so I am hoping to minimize wind damage.  This orientation should also give good sun exposure.  Not sure if all this makes sens but it is what I decided to go with.

My mangoes actually have some tighter spacing as my plan is to try to keep them trained as smaller trees.

John

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
Between newly planted rows there is a lot of space.  We plant stuff like pineapple, chilis, passion fruit, inchi, etc. As well as root crops.  Another idea is to plant bananas.  Small growing perennial trees like araza can do well and still produce after getting shaded out a bit by large trees.
If you wait until the trees are big most desirable plants won't grow as well in shade although many can still produce something if they have had a chance to develop before the shade comes.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk