Author Topic: HUGE bonus regarding my Moro blood orange  (Read 1519 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
HUGE bonus regarding my Moro blood orange
« on: July 29, 2017, 10:29:49 AM »
You guys know how most citrus peel goes brown and meat gets bitter after a week or two in the crisper or sitting on the counter?  I pulled the last Moro Blood Orange around late February, found one "lost" in the crisper and I swear it's better in flavor than then.  The raspberry really comes thru.  Color is black, flavor is rich, juicy as can be.  Amazing!

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE bonus regarding my Moro blood orange
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »
That is awesome. Does this mean the sugar content gets hight if the Moro goes in the fridge?
I have a Moro and the tree is finally big enough to have fruits next year.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
That is awesome. Does this mean the sugar content gets hight if the Moro goes in the fridge?
I have a Moro and the tree is finally big enough to have fruits next year.

I have no clue. it wasn't wrinkled but a touch.   Weirdest thing I've ever witnessed and a first.  All homegrown citrus goes bad on me in a week or so. This had been in the crisper about 5 months!

Having said that if your tree is like mine the fruit won't get really GREAT for about 4 years after being planted as a young tree and some of that vigor and quality will depend on the rootstock it's on too.  My Moro was over the top this winter in taste.  So-so  years before.

We zest our citrus and freeze the zest in baggies. Bake with it.  Juice the citrus and freeze in ice trays.  Yesterday we put up 6 jars, 3# of freshly pitted black cherries and made delish brandied cherries.  Wife had cut Meyer lemons in half, froze them, so I took one out and the squeezed juice was excellent.  Used about 2 TB. in the cherry juice concoction which was a couple of ounces of Blood Orange liquer, couple of ounces of Everclear, topped up to 3 cups with Brandy and of course sugar and vanilla extract and black cherry juice instead of water.  There, you have the essence of our "secret" recipe. ;D

Lot's of ways to store citrus.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:04:38 AM by Mark in Texas »

Susanne42

• Michigan Zone 5/6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
I'm in Michigan and not be able to plant in the ground. But the tree is now about six years old and the stem and twigs strong enough to carry some fruits. Will see. Probably never enough that I have to store them for five month ;)