Author Topic: Grow light and scions grafting?  (Read 1557 times)

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
Grow light and scions grafting?
« on: August 20, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
Have anyone try grafting scions of atemoya and cherimoya onto cherimoya rootstock and then putting it under grow lights?  Does this work?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Grow light and scions grafting?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
I havent done it but can't see why it wouldnt work.  The nice thing about grow lamps and growing things indoors is you can control temperatures and light intensity.  Should work out better than hot august sun IMO.
Brad Spaugh

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »
I havent done it but can't see why it wouldnt work.  The nice thing about grow lamps and growing things indoors is you can control temperatures and light intensity.  Should work out better than hot august sun IMO.
Yep, anything better than outside >90 degree. I have 0% success (out of 4 grafts, scion/branch-green/green) so far in August.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
Im going to put some mango seedlings under a COB grow lamp and leave some outdoors and see what happens.  Maybe put the grow lamp on for 18hrs a day.  Not sure if mango trees are photo period sensitive?  Anyone know?  Since they are tropical plants that live near the equator they would normally have consistently shorter days throughout the year.  12 hrs on would probably be most natural but 18 hrs will give yhem 50% more light exposure at full intensity.

Mikey how many hours do you have your lamp on per day?
Brad Spaugh

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 10:28:08 PM »
I'm not sure if those rootstocks without a single leaf on them would benefit from the grow light. Anyway, I think this is overkill. Putting them in the shade with ziploc bags over the grafts to keep the moisture in would be easier and much cheaper and probably better result.
Thera

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:06:26 AM »
I'm not sure if those rootstocks without a single leaf on them would benefit from the grow light. Anyway, I think this is overkill. Putting them in the shade with ziploc bags over the grafts to keep the moisture in would be easier and much cheaper and probably better result.

I got the grow light cheap on amazon when they had the amazon day sale.  I use it at night to control the temperature and I turn off the light in the daytime.  The seedlings are under my patio so no direct sunlight is on it during the day except during sunrise.  I graft these last Wednesday night and now some of the bud are poking thru the parafilm.  I hope all of them workout but it looks like the ilama and ilama rosada may not work on the cherimoya root stocks. 

Should I put a ziplock bag on them?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:09:31 AM by Mikey »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk