Author Topic: Jackfruit bearing in SoCal after six years  (Read 6432 times)

Socaljackfruit

• West Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Jackfruit bearing in SoCal after six years
« on: August 24, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
It's taken six years, but two of four surviving jackfruit trees that I've grown from seeds have finally borne fruit.  I live in West Los Angeles, and quite frankly, I was stunned a couple weeks ago when I first saw a couple fruits all of a sudden appear out of nowhere.  There's now two growing on one tree and four on another tree, with the two others having nothing to show yet.  The half dozen fruits range in size from 3-6 inches long, and appear to be growing steadily.  Not sure how long these are going to last since they are planted on the north side of my building and don't get direct sunlight for 4-5 months in the winter.  To date, I have never watered, fertilized or done anything to these plants, which otherwise get water from the sprinklers that regularly turn on in the planter boxes that these trees are growing in.  So far, so good with the hands off approach, but any recommendations on how best to keep these fruits on the path to maturity?  Is anyone aware of successful growth of jackfruit to maturity in Southern California?  Thanks in advance for any advice, Ted

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit bearing in SoCal after six years
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »
congrats.  I know 3 friends successfully growing jackfruits in So Cal.  El Monte, Cerritos, and Rosemead.  I was convinced and bought a tree last summer.  base on our conversations it maybe a little late for your young fruits to reach maturity.   if the weather stays warm you might get lucky.  W LA tends to be cooler then inland.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Looks like a male flower hanging on your first photo

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »
Looks like a male flower hanging on your first photo

Right on. Just a boring male flower, but it does have nice aroma when opening. Even the female fruits won't mature for the first few years. Keep looking.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
Credit this quote to a Sleepdoc that goes something like this: "Female flowers will appear and fruits will mature when trunk is about soda can thickness" That has been my experience too. Your tree is not there yet.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »
Soda can size trunk?  That's bad news for me.  Mine is grafted and barely grew in a year. 

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 02:42:07 AM »
Agreed, male flower. Chris
-Chris

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
My 5 year old tabouey x j 30 and my 2 year old Borneo Red have been
Flowering since June all male

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
how cold does it get in your guys' areas?

Socaljackfruit

• West Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:07:09 PM »
I'm assuming I won't be getting any fruit until I see female flowers appearing and cross-pollinating with male flowers.  So however many more years that may be, what happens in the meantime to the male flowers?  Excuse my ignorance, but an internet search didn't provide any clues.  How big do they grow?  Do they eventually die?

And for the poster who asked, I'm about 6-8 miles inland from the coast in Los Angeles.  It gets as cold as about 60 degrees at night in the summer and down to 50 in the winter.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »
I'm assuming I won't be getting any fruit until I see female flowers appearing and cross-pollinating with male flowers.  So however many more years that may be, what happens in the meantime to the male flowers?  Excuse my ignorance, but an internet search didn't provide any clues.  How big do they grow?  Do they eventually die?

And for the poster who asked, I'm about 6-8 miles inland from the coast in Los Angeles.  It gets as cold as about 60 degrees at night in the summer and down to 50 in the winter.

It's not necessarily years. Usually female will appear about a year after male flowers. But it could longer in a cool SoCal. Although you are in a pretty sweet spot. Away from cool coastal areas and not too far inland for a tree to be stressed by cold.
Meanwhile if you are craving freh jackfruit, they have piles of it in a Little Saigon. Few months ago I purchased a whole 23 pounder for $13 only.

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »

It's not necessarily years. Usually female will appear about a year after male flowers. But it could longer in a cool SoCal. Although you are in a pretty sweet spot. Away from cool coastal areas and not too far inland for a tree to be stressed by cold.
Meanwhile if you are craving freh jackfruit, they have piles of it in a Little Saigon. Few months ago I purchased a whole 23 pounder for $13 only.

FL has subtropical/tropical climate. Jackfruit grows well here however the price is $2/lbs. I don't get it.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
Those were Mexican imports by the truckload hence near wholesale price. Don't worry you have better quality in FL from homegrown garden. Quality, over quantity.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
A Cambodian seedling growing in Santa Ana. Has eaten dozens another 50-60 on tree

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 01:40:21 AM »
Great pics of a mature jackfruit fruiting in O.C! I love this. Thanks Frank
-Chris

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Frank, on that Cambodian Jack, how many beer cans can the trunk hold? (A lot of cans in one sentence.)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
Frank, on that Cambodian Jack, how many beer cans can the trunk hold? (A lot of cans in one sentence.)
Barrels lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk