Author Topic: Planting avocado tree on a slope?  (Read 3051 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Planting avocado tree on a slope?
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »
I keep hearing drainage, drainage, drainage is key for avocado trees, and I've read two separate guides that recommend "building up" instead of digging down.

But how does this work on a slope? There's really no practical way to build up that big a mound on a steep slope, especially on the downhill side.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Planting avocado tree on a slope?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:11:33 PM »
On a slope plant them level or a few inches above grade.  Mulch a big circle around it.  Then use a sprinkler than wets the entire area mulched area slowly enough to sink in without running off.
Brad Spaugh

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 11:23:18 PM »
If the tree is on a slope, there is no danger of the root crown getting flooded. So dig down to plant.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »
slight pitch always helps avocado trees,  mango as well.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »
If the tree is on a slope, there is no danger of the root crown getting flooded. So dig down to plant.

So I should dig down until the top of the root ball is more or less flush with the slope, as with a more normal tree?

Also, I've read that Mar-Jun is the best time transplant an avocado tree. Should I wait until then? Or can I get started now? I'm impatient!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:59:02 PM by TheWaterbug »
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 06:37:26 PM »
Dig a hole the size of the pot and then plant the tree flush.  It will be fine to plant now.  You are in a pretty moderate climate and the tree will grow well.  Just water it and it will have no problems.  Don't overthink it.

Heres a install on a slope at my house with irrigation running.  Few inches of mulch and water it and they grow fine.  Feed a fistfull of citrus/avocado fertilizer in a month after planting.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:42:49 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk