Author Topic: Nice size sweet flesh (Inga Xalapensis)  (Read 2173 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Nice size sweet flesh (Inga Xalapensis)
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »
This Inga pods have abundant sweet cottony flesh, the seeds boiled in salt water are a great addition to salads, fruits in 3 to 4 years, 8 seeds for 18, with trackingfor USA, Asia Caribbean add 2 usd, my paypal is raulglezruiz@gmail.com

El verde es vida!

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Nice size sweet flesh (Inga Xalapensis)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
Looks great!  Two quick questions:

1. How does it compare to Inga spectabilis in size and in amount of pulp (if you have that species as well)?

2. Are the seeds of all Inga species edible when cooked, and do they all taste about the same?  Or is this one particularly good?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »

1. How does it compare to Inga spectabilis in size and in amount of pulp (if you have that species as well)?

2. Are the seeds of all Inga species edible when cooked, and do they all taste about the same?  Or is this one particularly good?
Hi Barath, I think Spectabilis is a quarter the size of this one, and about half thick, flavor about the same but these pods are really fleshy, about the seeds
People here thinks that the only Inga seeds edible are the green ones(not sure the color of Spectabilis) , as there is some Inga seeds black color, as for flavor I haven't try them as this fruit I bought in Mexico City last week when I traveled to visit family,
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:17:53 AM »

Spectabilis pods get bigger than that shown in the photo of xalapensis. Almost all species of ingas the seeds are NOT edible. I think the exception to that rules is only 4-5 species  of ingas(out of 250+ species). Many ingas contain both green and black seeds, depending on stage of maturity, so that is not any indicator as to whether the seeds are edible or not.
Oscar

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:37:49 AM »

Spectabilis pods get bigger than that shown in the photo of xalapensis. Almost all species of ingas the seeds are NOT edible. I think the exception to that rules is only 4-5 species  of ingas(out of 250+ species). Many ingas contain both green and black seeds, depending on stage of maturity, so that is not any indicator as to whether the seeds are edible or not.

Interesting.  I can't find any references online about Inga xalapensis being edible.  Oscar, do you grow any Ingas that have edible seeds?  It's surprising that there are a few that are edible; that kind of means to me that there are a few that are barely edible but most aren't.  Is that a reasonable way of looking at it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »

Interesting.  I can't find any references online about Inga xalapensis being edible.  Oscar, do you grow any Ingas that have edible seeds?  It's surprising that there are a few that are edible; that kind of means to me that there are a few that are barely edible but most aren't.  Is that a reasonable way of looking at it?
None of the 7 species i grow have edible seeds. I think majority have toxic seeds, so don't suggest eating unless you know what you're doing. I think the ones with edible seeds are listed in T. D. Pennington's books, A Genus Inga. Will have to look it up.
Oscar

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
Thanks Óscar for correct me about the Spectabilis, I just thought of Inga Laurina, about Inga Xalapensis I saw is also call Inga Spuria, however the ones in the pic above in the pod doesn't show the mark of the seeds, you need to open it to see them, what I mean is that is flat by the outside as opposed to others where you can see the marks of inside seeds, about seeds edibility you may be right about most not being edible, but this one species the indigenous people from here has been eating them for long time, looking is Spanish in the web by the local name "jinicuil" or "juaquinicuil" semillas (seeds) mention several ways they prepare them,
 https://www.google.com.mx/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://deliciasprehispanicas.com/2016/07/16/jinicuil-ofrenda-al-dios-macuilxochitl-origen-de-la-palabra/&ved=0ahUKEwjetNXCqozWAhWmjlQKHU_QDrMQFghvMA0&usg=AFQjCNE6YEn6s_MvJLC4_am1qN2ela21sA
El verde es vida!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
Inga xalapensis is a synonym for Inga vera subsp.spuri
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/ild-26423

Inga jinicuil is an accepted name and seems to be a different species than xalapensis.
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/ild-12123
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk