Author Topic: Oddly shaped leaves on new Lakeland Limequat  (Read 959 times)

TropicMike

• Kissimmee
    • View Profile
Oddly shaped leaves on new Lakeland Limequat
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
Hi all!

I bought my first citrus tree from Lowes yesterday to try my hand at growing some nice fruit - limes in particular!  I selected a Lakeland Limequat after reading about the various options (hoping to add more types if this goes well) and am growing it in a large pot on my screened-in pool deck in the Orlando area.

Anyway, today, I just transplanted it into the large pot you can see in the photo collection below.  There are about 10 tiny little limes throughout the plant.

However, some of the leaves are malformed and not really curling, but growing in odd shapes.  Some look totally normal.  I've got neem oil and the Bayer nicotinoid fruit tree systemic insecticide in the mail, but I don't really see any type of insect infestation that I'd attribute to this deformation. 

Is this deformation just something from not being watered regularly at Lowe's or something else I need to get in-front of before it becomes a problem?

Here's the photo gallery - I figured this would be easier to view than uploading all to the forum individually:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gi3rjwdir56cxqn/AADVfx0PTIp3NXsIrUHwlOl8a?dl=0

Thanks!
Mike
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:21:58 PM by TropicMike »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Oddly shaped leaves on new Lakeland Limequat
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »
The leaf crinkle was caused by insects before the leaves firmed up.  It is very common.  On my trees I spray all new leaf flushes every 3 or 4 days with a 1 percent horticultural oil spray until the new leaves firm up.  Doing so prevents the leave distortions.  Other than a few misshaped leaves there is no real damage to the tree.  Many times the invading insect are never seen, as some of them, such as thrips,or white fly, are so small it is difficult to see them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk